• This topic has 27 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 120mm 29er fork: SID or Revelation?
  • johnny

So, I’m pondering a new bike build, and thinking about forks. this would be for a 29er XC/trail full sus, do i go for the 120mm SID RCT3, or the Revs, 120mm RCT3?

It’d be used for a bit of racing, general southern-shandy drinking singletrack and days out at more XC oriented trailcentres and the odd map crossing epic. Thoughts?

dantsw13

I built a Titus Fireline (Ti 29er HT) recently, and went for the Manitou Tower Pro 120 – very cheap from CRC, and very happy with the performance.

johnny

Jolly good, but I’m being a rockshox whore, and currently this is a hypothetical build, so I’m looking at fancy pants forks at the mo…

dantsw13

Fair enough. I was into Rockshox for my previous bikes, but the Tower Pro kept getting recommended. If you want a light race fork, then the SID, but the Tower Pro is better than a Rev, IMHO.

johnny

Interesting. I’m pretty keen on the Sids, as i’d like to keep the build racy light, but I’m also pretty keen to have a fork which is stiff enough for trail purposes…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Left of field, I’m really loving my Marzocchi Corsa RC SL. Propper old skool Marzocchi Bomber plushness, not too heavy (Reba ballpark), and really simple setup. Air was as spec’d in the manual, rebound somewhere in the middle, and compression is a remote lockout with an adjustable ‘threshold’*. The open setting is nice, and the remote makes further fine tuning unececary as you can just flick it on/off (it’s about the same effort as changing gear) as required rather than hunting for a comprimise.

I think they’ve replaced it with something else this year though.

*its not as harsh as the climbing setting on RS mission controll, more like the low speed damping.

I wouldn’t considder SID’s for a trail bike, especialy a 29er. Reba’s as a minimum.

robbonzo
    Free Member

Ive just purchased some 2014 Sids RCT3s from Winstanleys for a very good price. Worth checking out. To go on a Cotic Solaris. I believe Rebas use the same lowers but the internals are not quite as good. The 2014 Sids have have rapid recovery and new maxle – the old one is abit rubbish and tends to break so might be worth factoring that in.

MSP

I wouldn’t considder SID’s for a trail bike, especialy a 29er. Reba’s as a minimum.

Reba and sids have the same chassis, it’s just the internals that change.

johnny

Also, I believe from 2014, Reba’s are only available as OEM? Or did I make that up?

robbonzo
    Free Member

I dont believe you can get the Rev 120mms in the UK, and Rebas are RL versions so not OEM but the more basic damping.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Reba and sids have the same chassis, it’s just the internals that change.

I rescind my comment then, is that a new SID chassis then, the old one (the first 32mm one after the really felxy ones) was still a bit flexy.

johnny

That’s probably the point i’m wondering about: are the sids flexy, especially in a long legged 120mm/29er form.

dantsw13

120 SIDs will be flexier than Tower Pro, or Revs. The X-fusion Slide is worth a look too. Loco sells them, I think.

robbonzo
    Free Member

I doubt the flex will be any different between Sid and reba..

robbonzo
    Free Member

Any Sid owners in the house?

johnny

A pal of mine has the 120mm rebas on his Whyte 129, and that seems perfectly capable as a trailbike. SIDS= Same chassis, same stiffness, a bit lighter?

robbonzo
    Free Member

Im sure they will be fine for trail use, as long as your not hucking about. They are an XC fork after all. I’ll have mine next week so can report back if you like.

johnny

as long as your not hucking about

That’s the problem- i might well be. not big stuff, just pops off logs and little trail jumps…

LoCo
    Free Member

Revelations IMO for trail stuff, view the sid as a ‘race’ fork.

MSP

Can a revelation “dual position” fork have its travel spacerd down, ie from 140/120 to 120/100?

johnny

hmm, I’m wondering if i’m looking for ‘moon on stick’ qualities… I don’t want a bigger trail fork, as i want a light, XC-ish mile munching full suss. I have a bigger 26″ wheeled bike for proper jumpy descending.

However, wheels off the ground is fun…

LoCo
    Free Member

Run 150mm revs RCT3s lowered to 110mm on my 21″ framed xc race bike, that weighs 24.5lbs so the revs really aren’t heavy and it’s a sensible built too no weight weeny stuff !

MSP

Is it possible on these though?

http://www.hibike.de/shop/product/pac972627177710f508e60e0b54707dfa/Rock-Shox-Revelation-XX-dual-position-Air-29-suspension-fork-140mm-1-5.html

I would like a remote lockout, but would prefer the revs over the sids for a bit extra stiffness, it’s only the dual position that seem to have the remote lockout (which is a bit weird imo).

LoCo
    Free Member

MSP, no not possible, or if it is it’d be prohibativly exspensive in terms of parts and/or labour.
    The xx damping is nowhere near as good as the RCT3 units too.

johnny

Completely agree about weight; light weight is not a real dealbreaker, (though a remote lockout sort of is) Just out of interest, is there a way of knowing which Revs can be shortened? for example, what about these?
    http://www.bike-components.de/products/info/p35846_Revelation-RCT3-Solo-Air-29–Federgabel-Modell-2014.html

LoCo
    Free Member

All solo air fixed travel ones can be lowered by changing the air spring assembly, dual position are fixed at the 2 travels.

johnny

can be lowered by changing the air spring assembly

Ah, so are talking a bit more complicated than dropping the lowers off and sticking in/taking out some spacers? (as was the process with my old Rebas…)

MSP

Is it then possible to add a remote pushloc to an rct3 fork?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘120mm 29er fork: SID or Revelation?’ is closed to new replies.