Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • £1200ish to spend on a "new" full sus bike
  • backmarker
    Free Member

I’m a 55 year old lady road racer looking to get back into mountain biking. My first bike in 1989 was a Kona and later a beautiful black rigid Cannondale both subsequently stolen, I then didn’t ride for about 10 years. I bought a road bike 2 years ago and joined a few local clubs.

After picking up the Singletrack magazine 6 months ago a following the forum I’d like to get a full sus, I would like to ride around hamsterley and guisbrough no mad down hills but good riding for about 2 or 3 hours on fire and forest roads. I’m not too clued up with 1 x 10 and 1 x 11 and “travel” etc any basic help would be appreciated.

I’ve seen a few bikes in sales at the moment and am looking for a bargain!

One bike was a Lappiere Zesty, but the shop selling it didn’t have a small and suggested a Ghost bike a few hundred more than the zesty but with a dropper post and better spec, but I must admit I haven’t heard of these bikes on the forum!

Should I do another search for a small Zesty or what do you recommend?

poey50
    Free Member

Look up the Caibre Bossnut sold by Go Outdoors. It’s had a lot of praise and will be the only full suspension bike worth buying new for £1,000. MBR magazine voted it bike of the year.

mboy
    Free Member

Start with finding one that fits you, and you feel comfortable on. It’s no use picking up a bargain if it doesn’t fit properly, which can often be more of an issue for shorter ladies or really tall men.

£1200 isn’t a lot to spend on a full sus bike, but there are a few out there still worth considering.

backmarker
    Free Member

is the zesty one?

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

You might want to think about the amount of travel you want first if you want a XC type full suss or a all mountain type one.Thing is if you get well into it then a 100mm wont be enough travel.The main brands like Trek don’t do a lot that cheap and they will end up with not a great shox or forks might pay to look secondhand.

backmarker
    Free Member

Thanks for that dobiejessmo

backmarker
    Free Member

Poey50 I have a calibre dune fat bike from go outdoors will check it out!

chestrockwell

Look up the Caibre Bossnut sold by Go Outdoors. It’s had a lot of praise and will be the only full suspension bike worth buying new for £1,000. MBR magazine voted it bike of the year.

I was going to say this as well, the reviews are full of praise.

Another option is to build one up. My friend go a full carbon framed Titus Rockstar frame and shock from Planet X recently and is very impressed with it. Still on sale for £499 in small leving you a decent chunk to get the other parts.

chakaping
    Free Member

This is a good shout.

Should be fine for the easy riding you describe and also capable of handling trail centres and more technical riding if required.

backmarker
    Free Member

Chestrockwell I will check that out thanks!

bigbloke
    Free Member

Giant Anthem’s at Pauls Cycles for under and just over a grand?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Or, the women’s version of the Anthem, the Lust for £999.
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s185p6191/GIANT-LUST-3-2015

Dreadful name, great bike.

chakaping
    Free Member

I was gonna suggest that Giant as well.

I’ve had four of their bikes now – among many others – and the Maestro suspension system is still probably the best I’ve ridden.

And that will likely be a slightly higher quality frame than the Calibre, with similar spec otherwise.

If you’ve got £200 left over you could upgrade the wheels with a pair of Superstar’s finest.

backmarker
    Free Member

The calibre Bossnut is only available in a 19″ at the moment but the smallest it goes to is a 17″ I’ll pop to my local shop and see if I can sit on one!

backmarker
    Free Member

Captainflasheart I’m not keen on women’s version bikes but it looks good!

chakaping
    Free Member

This is bloody fantastic…
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s183p5824/GIANT-ANTHEM-27-5-2-2015

I’m kind of tempted myself, having just flogged my XC bike.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m not keen on women’s version bikes but it looks good!

If you’re already looking at smaller frames, you may well find the overall fit of a female-specific frame better. Well worth a try, you’ve got nothing to lose!

As mentioned above, the Maestro system is one of the very best. Very, very good in my experience. The grips are a bit rubbish on the Lusts, though. 🙂

backmarker
    Free Member

Thanks for all your posts!

chojin
    Free Member

You can buy my Cannondale Trigger 4 for £925.
    It’s been ridden for precisely 3 miles.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

When these posts come up I always recommend having a look here
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s183p0/Mountain-Bikes/Full-Suspension-27-5
    I’ve bought a couple of bikes from them,never had a problem.
    If I was looking for a new bike at the moment I’d be tempted by the Giant Anthem,looks like a bargain..

jambalaya
    Free Member

Lady road racers getting into mtb’s are to be warmly welcomed, so welcome !

Zesty would be a good choice. Anthem likewise. If you don’t have to have new there will be lots of very nice used bikes around £1,000. There was a Bandit up for sale a few weeks ago for £975 asking price and I imagine it sold for less. Fhe fact is the choice is bewlidering and mist of us after endoess hours od research just buy what we want. Stuff tends to wear out on mtbs with all the grit etc amd they need more servicing so you may be wise to underspend a bit on the first one 😉

backmarker
    Free Member

Jambalaya thanks for your hearty welcome! I’m still looking and have seen a Mondraker Factor Go Womens Mountain Bike 2016 – Full Suspension MTB but its over budget!

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Checkout the Canyon Nerve 6 online.I think they may even do a ladies version.Also Halfords do a female specific Voodoo bike which has got decent reviews.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Just checked,they do do a ladies AL6.Looks good and only 27lbs!Perfect for those Guisborough hills.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I just bought a 2015 Specialized Camber evo for that kind if money so I would be looking in all the sales more than go outdoors at first

nre
    Free Member

The Giants tend to be great buys at the end of season, had 2 trances and 2 anthems myself over the last 10 years, they’ve all been great. The Lust or Anthem 2 linked above look great… I’ve bought from pauls cycles, pedalon & JEJames in the past with no problems.

bikingjax
    Free Member

I have a small 29er Canyon Nerve AL for sale if interested (not womens specific). Very good condition. I am 5ft 2inches,and love the 29ers,would not have any other,and has improved my riding,and enjoyment of it immensely.

backmarker
    Free Member

Those al canyon look lovely!

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Backmarker,checkout the Canyon Nerve reviews.10 out of 10 usually.The more heavy duty Voodoo I mentioned is called the Maji.Monkey.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Those al canyon look lovely!

I think you are getting the message now that there are many nice and capable mountain bikes 8)
    Thats why I just buy what I want the most

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘£1200ish to spend on a "new" full sus bike’ is closed to new replies.