Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • 1200 calories a day – really?
  • singletrackmind

BTW you can get by on 1200 calories a day if you eat the right things and drink lots of water… no bother.

Really?
    I mean Really?
    I used to weigh 12st 12lb, and now weigh 11st 12lb.
    I work hard for 9 hrs a day and might sit down for 10 mins in that day .
    Time Crunched Cyclist calculations put me on 4000cal a day ( age / weight / height / activity / aerobic hobbies)
    If i dropped to 1200cal i would be in ~ 2000cal deficit every day , or drop 1lb every other day.

slimjim78
    Free Member

STM – with your energy expenditure, then of course you’ll need to top up.
    For average Joe, 1200 is well do-able – particularly when OP wanted to lose a small amount of weight.

You’ll eventually find an equilibrium. People tend to go on about how they have gotten by for years on XY&Z total calories and it does them fine, then the same people talk about how they weigh 15/20lb more than they did 10 years ago..

GrahamS

might sit down for 10 mins in that day… activity / aerobic hobbies… If i dropped to 1200cal i would be in ~ 2000cal deficit every day

Does no one read any of the replies? 🙄

1200 calories is the basic intake that MFP suggested per day WITHOUT any exercise.

The whole point of the tool is you also log exercise with it, which then allows you to eat more calories that day, in a fairly standard “Calories In vs Calories Out” way.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Give yourself longer to lose it and you won’t have a problem.

selaciosa
    Free Member

The 1200 is a NET figure – so you will consume more than 1200 cals in a day to hit the figure.

I’m doing fine based on the same calorie allowance for MFP

seanoc
    Free Member

This will probably go unheard but the 1200kcal is a datum! You can still have 4000kcal a day as long as you burn 2800kcal through cardio. That’s the way it works; you off set the extra calories by thrashing yourself up a mountain.

selaciosa
    Free Member

You can still have 4000kcal a day as long as you burn 2800kcal through cardio. That’s the way it works; you off set the extra calories by thrashing yourself up a mountain

Exactly – rather than making me eat less I’m finding that I’m actually starting to exercise more

singletrackmind

Or stacking 3 tons of beer barrels / malt every day?

coffeeking
    Free Member

This will probably go unheard but the 1200kcal is a datum!

Well obviously, but I’d be under the impression that the OP is exercising all she wants to at the moment, hence 1200 cals is what it returns.

emsz
    Free Member

read grahamS posts littlemisspanda, you get to add back in any exersize you do.

so: 1200 cal per day, go for run (uses up 500cal) so total allowance for the day is 1700 calories.

OK?

druidh
    Free Member

Karinofnine – Member
    I’m sure you can. But I don’t want to “get by”. Food isn’t just fuel to humans, it’s linked to lots of pleasurable and social activities too. That’s why I dislike the “diet” idea – as something to be endured or suffered. My thought is that it’s better to settle on a sustainable regime which contains commonly available (and oh-so-very-tasty) “bad” things rather than some Atkins-like torture which you will abandon the very moment you hit target weight.

Frankly I’d rather be a little bit overweight and have a nice time than ripped and f***ing miserable because I can’t have a glass of sherry and some Kettle Chips.+ Lots and lots!!!

Keva
    Free Member

I’d be miserable if had to drink sherry and eat kettle chips. eeewww.

slimjim78
    Free Member

You can still have 4000kcal a day as long as you burn 2800kcal through cardio. That’s the way it works; you off set the extra calories by thrashing yourself up a mountain.

if you read the thread more carefully, this is pretty much already established.

For weight loss, the +/- offset obviously needs to be greater

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘1200 calories a day – really?’ is closed to new replies.