Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 120 mm full sus options
  • Raincheck
    Free Member

Hi all

I’m thinking about getting a 120mm full sus bike. I don’t think I’ll ever need any more than that, as most of my riding is going out for a few hours just exploring realy. I suppose 100mm would enough most of the time, but a bit extra might be handy.

Being 5’7″ with stumpy little legs, I would like something with a low standover height. One of bikes I was thinking of is a Rocky Mountain element, which Evans seem to be doing at a good price at the moment. Has any one any experience of these at all?

Other options are Whyte t120 or Spesh Camber. I have tried an anthem and superlight but want something a bit slacker. Any other options I should look at?

Raincheck

moonboy
    Free Member

voting for own bike content*

Ghost AMR, you can get the 2012 5900 for £1800 now, probably less.

chakaping
    Free Member

Trek Fuel EX has fantastic low standover and rides lovely.

Raincheck
    Free Member

Thanks for the quick replies guys, I’ll look into both of them.

backtothetop
    Free Member

giant trance x4. i got one as my first full suss and i love it, inspires confidence and takes on anything i point it at. its only the real steep downhill stuff i struggle with but thats more my ability then the bikes. light enough for xc and strong enough for jumps and drops

Raincheck
    Free Member

I liked the older style trances, but the newer ones with the straight toptube would make my eyes water too often I think.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Did the superlight you tried have a 120mm fork on it? -I have seen many with built up with 100mm forks and you could get a wee bit slacker if you went up 20mm. The mud clearance on them is also nowadays as good as it gets in new xc bikes if that is a worry to you.

As un-trendy as it is, I would add a +1 to trek ex though. A couple of mates have them and downhill they are right old skillz compensators! (In a good way!) 😆

Onzadog
    Free Member

Tick.

Got a friend who’ll be looking for a light all day trail bike soon.

Raincheck
    Free Member

Yes, the superlight I tried did have 120mm forks. It’s a shame because I realy like the simplicity of them, I’m rubbish at cleaning my bike.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Check out my Chumba VF2 in the classifieds. I’m the same height with short legs and the stand over is great with the curved top tube.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-2011-chumba-vf2-full-sus-frame

honourablegeorge

Yeti ASR 5. What’s an extra 5mm?

LMT
    Free Member

Im 5ft5 ish, just brought a Camber in M, i tried the small but the reach was too short, but the standover was spot on. I went for the M that has near to no standover but the everything else on the bike fits perfectly and feels sweet when riding, what im trying to say its not always about the standover, shorter frames have shorter top tubes.

Oh and the Camber Expert is a great off the shelf bike, best ive ever had!

parkesie
    Free Member

Im waiting for the new canondales to come out before i make my decision. Really liking the look of the trigger.

Crell
    Free Member

This new carbon Canyon is making me think about a new bike. There are others in the same range.

http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2756

justatheory
    Free Member

The CF Canyon does look nice, although bit dissapointed they’ve not made it a bit slacker.

AngusWells

In the spirit of “I’ve got a”, I present “we’ve got these”:

My son’s 2011 Lapierre X Control 310

And my 2012 Cannondale RZ 120 1

I’m not going to tell you which is better or even if you should buy one, but they suit us nicely.

Raincheck
    Free Member

Thanks once again for the replies. There’s lots to think about there.
    That Chumba looks nice. If it was fully built, maybe. LMT I appreciate standover isn’t the be-all and end-all, but on a favourite route of mine there’s a section by a canal where I’ve had to put my foot down to stop me falling off and going into the canal, and I’m comvinced I’d have been swimming with the ducks if my current bike had any less standover. I also actually like short toptubes.

Angus, what do think of the X Control, I had previously thought about them, but for some reason not gone any further.

Those canyons look nice, but also too expensive. Plus I wouldn’t buy without trying for size first.

Has no one any thoughts about the Rocky Mountain?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘120 mm full sus options’ is closed to new replies.