Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 120 mm forks on a hardcore hardtail
  • Santaslittlehelper
    Free Member

Anyone run/running 120 mm forks on a Ragley mmmbop/blue pig or a cotic BFe? I know they’re more suited to a bigger fork (130-150) but cant stretch to new forks yet and looking to buy a hardtail. Riding is mainly lakes & local singletrack, no “big” riding, i.e. Alps etc.
    Suggestions/experiences welcome.
    Ta.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A BFe is best suited to 120mm or less for any sort of riding unless its riding down a fast track with lots of braking bumps like les gets or pleney.

I run mine with 110mm marzocchis at the moment. Might put some rigids on it soon to ruin it

rudedog
    Free Member

These u turn revelation teams are an absolute steal at £280

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/rockshox-revelation-team-air-u-turn-120-150mm-qr-white-id59399.html#info

Stick them on a mmmbop and you’d have a cracking frame and fork combo for only £60 more than the price of a Bfe frame on its own.

tomhughes46

My g/f has 120 Toras on a Mmmbop. It’s surprisingly slack, so much so I can’t imagine it with 160s on!

GHill

Ragley Piglet could be the solution, if you can wait until Jan.

speaker2animals

BFe

alcolepone
    Free Member

i run a 456ti with 120mm forks, works well, though would like to try 150mm 😀

either way, if you use it in a Hardcore way, try and get either a 15mm or 200mm axle fork, that will make more difference than the travel, or so i believe.

GHill

alcolepone – Member
    if you use it in a Hardcore way, try and get … 200mm axle fork

😯
    😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

Got 100mm Marz Corsa Superleggera on a 456 Summer Season – although it’s more like a 120mm fork in terms of AtoC.

Much better than the 140mm fork that was on it before and it would be even better with a true 100mm fork on it as it’s still borderline silly slack at the mo. These hardcore hardtails actually ride rather poorly with the big forks and slack angles on unless the only riding you do is bonkers steep DH/Alpine riding…

IMO OC

alcolepone
    Free Member

plenty of stiffness with that 200mm axle 😀

JonEdwards
    Free Member

A Bfe will be quite happy with 120s on it, in a nippy xc-ey kind of way.

If the terrain demands it, it’ll be better with 140s, and an absolute hoot with 160s though…

Shandy
    Free Member

I ride with the Talas on my Blue Pig at 120 sometimes, its nicer on flatter trails. You’d get on fine with 120mm particularly if its only a stop-gap.

MrNutt
    Free Member

garylake you talk nonsence, my subzero has a head angle of 65 degs when the forks are unweighted, 66degs when sag is taken into account and 66degs when forks wound down, then 67 when sag is taken into account. being marzocchi 66’s I can wind them up and down giving good climbing and great descending as needed. IMO OC 😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

MrNutt: you say I’m talking nonsense and then proceed to explain the need for travel adjust forks right off the bat. 😉

MrNutt
    Free Member

you have “eaten all the brain sausages” GaryLake and you know it!

GaryLake
    Free Member

😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bolt through will make all the difference with the feel of the front end and would probably make up for being 5″. Though my 456 is a huge amount of fun at 160mm

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘120 mm forks on a hardcore hardtail’ is closed to new replies.