Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • '12 RockShox Revelation XX World Cup or '12 Fox 32 Talas 150 FIT RLC?
  • ryanw
    Free Member

Looking for a fork to go with my Yeti ASR-5C and have narrowed it down to the 2 titled above…

I’ve tested out quite a few of the new 2012 Fox forks and have been rather impressed, however, I’ve not had a chance to test out the Revelation XX World Cups.

I know the RockShox forks are quite a bit lighter than the Fox, but I’m not sure which will be better off in the long run. This is where I need your knowledge and opinions!

Cheers all.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Well, in six years of running Rockshox forks, they’ve never let me down. Home maintenance is a doddle and the 2006 Pikes I’ve just fitted to my new Orange hardtail have no stanchion wear at all.

jimjam
    Free Member

Have had the revelation xx carbon steerer jobs in my hand. They are hella light. I would have them over a 32 if money was no object.

ryanw
    Free Member

The Revelations are actually cheaper than the Foxs’ (by about £200!)…

deviant
    Free Member

Glad this thread popped up as I’m shopping for some 150mm forks too and narrowed it down to these two. One thing that I can’t make my mind up on though is the multitude of different models in each range. RLC, FIT, dual air, TALAS, etc etc ?!

the_lecht_rocks

kashima + new SKS seals on 2012 Fox is worth considering.

do you “REALLY” trust a carbon steerer long term ?

ryanw
    Free Member

I see your point, but surely the Revelation would come with some sort of warranty?!

neil853
    Free Member

I have the revelation’s you mention, well 2011 versions. Been fine for me I’m pretty pleased with them.

makkag
    Free Member

this is my next choice after i finaly decide on my frame .. But i think i am settled on Revs .. nowt but good things to say about Rock Shox kit i have had and Fisher service if i have had an issue and they have all been minor

skywalker
    Free Member

The 2012 RLC are bloody brilliant, I have some on my Five.

The best trail fork you can buy if you go by the reviews.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

150mm is too long for an ASR 5. Do you want to keep your warranty?

I had a 150mm Talas and it’s rides better with a 140mm

Northwind

Very subjective but I reckon the 32 chassis is just trying a bit too hard at 150mm, really excellent damping etc but the flex in them was pretty noticable compared to my Revelations. Not sure if it’s the skinnier axle or just the general construction. It wasn’t enough to be a massive problem but it was distracting.

I’d be quite happy with both tbh but I’ll stick with my Revs.

Pauly

I went for the Rev World Cups, but not XX as they were lighter again. Lack of hydraulic lock-out which I would never use on a fork. Been on the bike for about 10 months now, and have had a week in Morzine. No issues at all.
    I have no probs with the carbon crown & steerer.

Both are great forks though really.

ryanw
    Free Member

I know the 140 Talas would suit the bike better, but I just wanted to compare the two forks of the same length. I was thinking about 150mm for the more aggressive stuff, buy mainly using the fork on the 120mm setting for more XC stuff?

mafiafish
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking xx revs have different damping/ compression settings that are a bit xc-biassed compared the model below?

ruscle
    Free Member

Just get the 140mm Talas as the bike rides great with this travel in any situation, then drop it down for the climbs thats what I do. The new Fox forks with Kashima and SKF seals are a huge leap in performance over previous fox forks, also the FIT damper is sweet and dosen’t get fazed by rough repeated hits.

the_lecht_rocks

DON’T FORGET THE MOJO UPGRADE PROGRAM FOR ALL THINGS FOX.

Northwind

ryanw – Member

I was thinking about 150mm for the more aggressive stuff, buy mainly using the fork on the 120mm setting for more XC stuff?

Can’t speak for the latest TALAS but previous versions have all underperformed on the shorter settings… Really seemed to be designed as a long fork with a climbing mode, rather than something you’d want to use at a short setting for proper riding.

Have rockshox binned u-turn? Correct option for what you describe really.

ryanw
    Free Member

Hmmm, what’s this Mojo upgrade you speak of?!

I’m 90% on the Talas 140 now after some helpful comments on here and chatting to my LBS…

the_lecht_rocks
    messiah
    Free Member

Nice bike!

Looking at the options I would ask why your considering Talas or XX? A Talas fork never performs as well as Float due to the travel adjust gubbins getting in the way of smooth stroke, and the XX fork’s Lockout feature also means that the XX fork does not have the same great performing damper as the normal WC or RC3 Rev… so both of these options give up ultimate suspension performance for questionable gimickry (IMHO), and extra cost.

A Float 32 RLC or Revelation WC would be the perfect fork for this bike as I can see little need for either lockout or travel adjust – IMHO lockout & travel adjust let people you have set their bike up badly fiddle with it and use it as an crutch/excuse for their poor riding. Better off having the right length fork and learning to ride the bike with it set up like that.

Revelation RC at 140mm (or 120) for the win by the way 8)

ryanw
    Free Member

So you’re 100% sure that the standard Revelation World Cup is a better fork than the XX?

I fully appreciate the fact that you should never have to adjust the bike for riding purposes, but I don’t want to change the length to be easier, it’s because I kind of want 2 bikes in one. I ride a lot of UK XC where 110mm would suffice, 140mm is a little over kill no? But when over in the Alps and up in the Lakes, 140mm would make for better riding, giving me the opportunity to hit the rougher stuff.

Meh, I’ll have a think and see where I wanna go with it… Really do appreciate your opinions and knowledge on the this though guys.

Ryan

messiah
    Free Member

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/forks-suspension/product/review-rockshox-revelation-xx-world-cup-11-44655

Set your fork at 130mm and use it for everything? But if you really want more travel adjusting the travel on Revs or 32’s is not very difficult so probably worth experimenting with anyway. However; IMHO longer travel is not the be-all-and-end-all for the mountains… I’ve found all the my bikes to ride best with one fork length – changing the fork length even by 10-20mm can mess up the feel of the bike too much (IMHO).

Superficial
    Free Member

The XX damper is more expensive and lighter but not as responsive (according to RockShox themselves). For racers only, and I’d question the need on a 150mm fork. Perhaps on a SID/Reba on a lightweight XC race bike that would be important.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted a set of Revelation RLT Ti’s to my Nicolai and they’re awesome forks.

ryanw
    Free Member

Interesting read, thanks Messiah.

Right, the entire 150mm fork idea has gone out the window after copious amounts of internet reading…

Best 130/140mm fork from Fox and RS?

Assuming the Fox 140 FIT RLC QR15 1.5 taper is the badger, but I’m not sure if RS even do a dedicated 140mm fork?…..

messiah
    Free Member

Any 32 or Rev can be set at 120/130/140 with internal spacers.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m gonna buy a Revelation for my ASR-5, and set it to 140mm. You’re right, there is no dedicated 140mm trail fork from RockShox, but the Revelations convert easily. You can get 2011 Revelations in 140mm but I can’t find any online for a reasonable price. The Fox 140 Float Fit RLC look nice but there’s nothing that makes me think they’re worth £200 more than Revelation RLTs.

ruscle
    Free Member

Look on ebay as their is a seller from singapore I believe who sells Fox forks. My friend got a set of 2012 Fox Talas 140 FIT with Kashima for £520 delivered and they are the real thing. Can’t go wrong at that price.

Superficial
    Free Member

That’s not a bad deal (although I couldn’t find it via search) but it’s still almost £200 than Revelations from Merlin.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘'12 RockShox Revelation XX World Cup or '12 Fox 32 Talas 150 FIT RLC?’ is closed to new replies.