Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 12-25 or 12-27 cassette for 10spd cyclocross?
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I’m hovering over the ‘buy’ button for a replacement 12-25 105 cassette for my Jake, yet mindful of the occasional occasions over the last year with 36/46 front when I’ve struggled up steep climbs, both off- and sometimes (with a catastrophic headwind) on-road.

…But

That’s what a cyclocross bike supposed to be all about, init? 😉

It’s not supposed to be easy! When it gets hard, it’s simply time to shoulder and run in a manly-sort-of-mincing way.

Should I just stick with the 12-25 I’m used to, or move up a gear (or more, even?) to make life easier?

Will a standard length 10spd 105 rear mech cope with 12-27, or even 11-28?

How much ‘close ratio’ finesse will I lose with a wider cassette?

A real dilemma. That’s for sure! 😯

MikeWW
    Free Member

11-28 assuming you are running a 39 inner front

Mister-P
    Free Member

yet mindful of the occasional occasions over the last year with 36/46 front when I’ve struggled up steep climbs

Yes a 105 mech will cope up to the 28.

Coleman
    Free Member

Don’t think the rear mech will cope with 11-28 unless it’s the latest 5700 series. 12-27 will be fine and give you a useful lower gear without any massive gaps in ratios.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Sorry,should have read it all 😳
    Would still go for the 11-28 though-rear mech will be fine

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

11-28 with a 38 tooth single ring. Sorted, plently of scope for off road climmbing and it’ll teach you to spin when riding on the road.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Great – thanks! 12-27 cassette ordered now – best compromise for the moment methinks (I wouldn’t want to be too radical!).

Another conundrum solved by the STW massive. 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘12-25 or 12-27 cassette for 10spd cyclocross?’ is closed to new replies.