Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 11t Jockey Wheels instead of 12t Jockey Wheels
  • smatkins1
    Free Member

Has anyone put 11t jockey wheels in a Sram mech instead of the 12t ones?

The ones in my Sram X01 mech have so much play in them its affecting shifting and the chain keeps jumping off the jockey wheel and getting wedged between the jockey wheel and the cage of the mech.

I’ve already replaced them once with the ridiculously expensive Sram ones, so looking for other options as I can’t be buying these every few months… which is how long these have lasted!!

devash
    Free Member

Is this on a road bike doing hundreds of miles a week? If not, how on earth are you eating jockey wheels every few months?

smatkins1
    Free Member

It’s the bearings developing lots of play. The teeth of the wheels are fine. MTB approx 15hours of riding a week. No road riding here 🙂

nicolaisam
    Free Member

Try the Hope 12t ones
    Also try greasing the bearings regularly as they do get a lot of mud and water on them

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

If you have 11 speed SRAM then the top jockey wheel is narrow wide which you can’t do with 11 teeth . However I doubt if it makes much difference .

smatkins1
    Free Member

I wonder if not greasing them regularly enough has been their downfall. It’s only when I’ve had the wheel out and noticed they spin a bit too freely have I considered greasing them. In hindsight should have done some pre-emptive TLC.

I should have taken the hint with the jockey wheels coming with a syringe full of grease in the packet!

greyspoke
    Free Member

Every SRAM mech I have had, any cartridge bearings in the jockey wheels have seized within a few wet rides. They don’t seem to buy ones that are packed with grease, they just have a smear inside. Evidently the seals don’t work well enough, so the only way to keep water out is to keep lots of grease in. Easy enough to replace the cartridge bearing with a stainless one on 9 amd 10 speed, don’t know about 11.

clubby

Use Phil Woods waterproof grease. Won’t spin in your fingers but they’ll last a lot longer. Used to kill jockeys on the fat bike in a matter of rides before using this stuff.

onandon
    Free Member

Yes you can use an 11 or even a 10 if you want to.

windysurfer
    Free Member

Just change the bearings, they pop in and out easily

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘11t Jockey Wheels instead of 12t Jockey Wheels’ is closed to new replies.