Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • 11sp XTR – can't get onto big cog
  • Speeder

I’m trying to set up the gears on my new build and it’s getting a little frustrating.

The mech simply doesn’t seem to have the capacity to travel the full width of the cassette before the arm goes over centre and pulling more on the cable has no effect. The limits are correctly adjusted (by eye with the chain off) but it’s as if the mech hanger is too wide or the cassette is too far in.

For reference it’s a Hope Pro4 hub, XTR cassette.

Anyone had this issue?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

B limit screw

benpinnick

Got your hub spacer in there?

blisterman1962
    Free Member

Does the XTR cassette need the freehub spacer that is provided with the Pro4 hub? My 11 speed XT cassette does.

Speeder

It’s not that Mike as it just won’t reach even with the cage swung out of the way.

I’ve just tried spacing the cassette out a bit and I’m now at 3mm which is about as much s I can do without the lock ring hitting the dropout

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[list]No mountain bike cassette needs a spacer that is for the roadie freaks.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t over the cassette out

blisterman1962
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    [list]No mountain bike cassette needs a spacer that is for the roadie freaks.

The bag that it comes in, specifically states the following:

PLEASE NOTE
    Use this spacer when fitting
    a 9/10 speed cassette
    or XT-M8000/XTR-M9000
    (11 speed) Cassette

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well that is new, why doesn’t it fit like any other 11sp shimano?

blisterman1962
    Free Member

The Pro4 freehub is cut back further…getting ready for 12 speed? See the freehub photos at the bottom.

http://www.hopetech.com/11-speed-compatibility/

Speeder

I bought the xtr setup 2nd hand so have no idea what should be with it but I’ve now got 2x1mm spacers behind the cassette. I tried 3 but the lock ring hit the dropout.

It’s a 142mm rear if it makes any difference

It feels like I need to take 2-3mm off the width of the mech hanger on the outside to get enough reach

simondbarnes

Well that is new, why doesn’t it fit like any other 11sp shimano?

It’s so that the hubs are compatible with 11 speed road cassettes. To run 10 speed road or 11 speed shimano mountain you need the provided spacer.

simondbarnes

I bought the xtr setup 2nd hand

Is it bent?

Speeder

Good question Simon and looking at it id say not obviously. And it’s not the frame – that’s brand new.

simondbarnes

Have you got the cable clamped in the right place?

simondbarnes

And is the hanger straight? (many aren’t on new bikes / frames)

Speeder

I’ve got it clamped in the obvious place – I’ll get some pics in. A bit when I get home.

Can’t imagine the hangers bent it’s integrated with the dropout and solid steel

scotroutes

simondbarnes – Member
    Have you got the cable clamped in the right place?

🙂

You’ve seen this a bit too?

Speeder

It’s in the slot I can’t se it would go anywhere also but I’ll check some pics and look at the manual if I can find one onlone

khani
    Free Member

If the cables right and the spacings right and nothings bent I’m going with the b-screw..
    It seems to make more of a difference with 11speed than nine or ten speed,

Speeder

I downloaded the manual and went through all the steps correctly with no issues but I still can’t get to the big cog. While I can set the limits correctly and get the B screw in the right place, there’s just not enough travel capacity in the mech to reach 1st.

Never mind, just means I’ve got a 10 speed I guess. At least the mech shouldn’t ever fall into the wheel.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Maybe pictures frome the top and the side and bottom when you try and shifter it to lowest and highest gears.

belugabob
    Free Member

If you disconnect the cable, can you move the mech, by hand, onto all 11 gears.

Maybe? you have a 10 speed shifter 😉

pipiom
    Free Member

I’ve just had a similar problem: my XTR 9000 SGS wouldn’t pick up 44 cog on hope cassette (or the ten if b screw was fully adjusted to allow 44)
    Reason:
    XTR (above model anyway)won’t work on these big range cassettes. (Max cog 40)
    It needs to be an XT 8000 SGS (the cage is a good 20mm longer)
    Fitted XT and all is peachy.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I’ve got a long cage XTR 11 speed and it works just fine with a 46T cassette.

Had to make sure the chain was long enough, though. Too short and it wouldn’t go into the top cog.

sillyoldman

XTR works fine on 46T. Shimano changed their max low gear recommendation having made the 11-46T option available. So as not to give away the fact that wider spread options were in the works? Dunno.

Anyway – they updated their listed specs, but didn’t change all listings. The dealer PP presentation from Shimano states max 46T, as does the below.

http://www.madison.co.uk/products/cycling/transmission-braking-components/groupsets/rd-m9000-xtr-gs-medium-cage-shadow-43-direct-mount-compatible/

pipiom
    Free Member

Yes, they do work on bigger cogs if top gear is 11. It’s the 10-44/46 etc ranges that bring problems, apparently.

sillyoldman

Still within it’s capacity.

Suspect it’s an out of spec hanger issue.

pipiom
    Free Member

Perhaps SOM, I can only vouch for my experience and my LBS:
    mine wouldn’t work
    They contacted supplier
    Supplier told them about issues, and what is compatible
    LBS fitted XT and it worked a treat.

simondbarnes

Arguing whether an xtr mech will work with a cassette larger than a 40t is irrelevant to the OP who is using an XTR cassette.

Speeder

It’s a regular XTR cassette of 40 or 42T (i forget) I don’t need bigger as if it’s that steep I’ll get off an push, I’m not proud.

I’ve figured out a couple of fix options to move the mech in a bit. Both pretty easy but I am thinking I shouldn’t have gone quite so bling. 🙄

Speeder

Resurrecting this thread – I haven’t got around to fixing this yet so I’m still 10 speed but I’ve just had a thought.

Did Shimano change the design of their mechs to give more capacity on the advent of 142mm? I’m not sure mine would be that old but it seems plausible.

daern
    Free Member

Is this all M9000 (cassette and mech)? I have 142 back-end (pretty standard, pre-boost) with the stock XTR (M9000) 11-42 cassette and no range issues.

Speeder

daern – Member
    Is this all M9000 (cassette and mech)?

Yes

daern
    Free Member

Think this might be recovering old ground, but…

As others have said, an M8000/M9000 11 speed XTR cassette is the same width as a 10 speed cassette and may need spacing if the freehub is designed to also accept the wider 11-speed road cassettes too. Daft question, and I’m sorry for asking, but is the freehub spacer correctly fitted on the inside of the cassette and not next to the lock ring? (sorry, but I had to ask!)

I’d fall back to basics and remove the cable and chain, and relax the low screw fully. Then see if you can physically push (with your hand) the mech past the large sprocket at the back. You might have to pull the tensioner down to get the top jockey wheel to clear the sprockets, but it should be able to move past the inside (largest sprocket) with ease and this will give an indication of whether the mech can mechanically reach.

Next would be to get a hanger alignment tool onto it to make sure the hanger is spot-on. They’re nearly always mis-aligned, even on brand new frames and bikes.

If the mech can’t reach but the hanger is aligned, it’s worth double-checking that your frame actually has the correct hanger on it. It might be nothing more complicated than the frame being fitted with the wrong hanger at the factory. You don’t mention what the frame is, but this would be my first port of call if the mech movement check fails and the hanger is aligned.

Sorry, lot of repeated stuff here, but there’s only so many things it could be. If you were closer to me here, I’d happily offer an evening with my finely crafted precision tools to give you another head to bash against it 🙂

lustyd
    Free Member

It’s probably that either the mech or the frame is DM and the other isn’t. You need to either remove or add the link on the mech at a guess. Given that the b screw is pushing against something (assume the right thing) I’d say the frame is DM and the link needs removing. Does the dropout where the mech connects also have a flat for the b screw to push against?
    It’s definitely not a mech capacity issue since OP said XTR cassette. They only go up to 40t and XTR GS supports 11-46 anyway.
    It’s probably not b screw since OP said they followed the install instructions which implies there is the correct clearance in 40t sprocket and that other limit screws are also set correctly.

Speeder

The dropout is straight and very solid as it’s a single piece with the dropout so it’s straight and not going anywhere. It’s also not suffered any knocks in it’s life and is conventional rather than direct mount.

I can’t remember if I’ve got the spacer in but the cassette itself is as close to the dropout as it can go without the chain actually touching the dropout in top.

The simple fact of it is that at somewhere inboard of gear 10 the cable mech can simply move no further because the cable cannot be pulled any further. I’ll see if I can get a pic.

One (or two) moment(s) please

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Did you try without the cable attached? I.e moving by hand?

Did you perhaps set it up with the shifter 1 gear up from bottom?

onandon
    Free Member

There are two xtr cassettes. M9000 and M90001 check the box and make sure you have the right one for either 1×11 or double / triple

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘11sp XTR – can't get onto big cog’ is closed to new replies.