Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 11sp xt upgrade?
  • gonzy
    Free Member

i’m thinking that it may be time to upgrade to 11sp later this year. i like the look of the shimano xt kit and due to its price it seems the most sensible option.
    the only thing i’m unsure of regarding the cassette fitment.
    currently my bike is running a 10sp cassette one a shimano slx hub (135x9mm)
    will the 11sp cassette fit on the current freehub body? or will i need a new freehub? if so which one does the STW hive suggest? or will i need a new hub?

chakaping
    Free Member

Will fit on current freehub.

gonzy
    Free Member

Will fit on current freehub.

cool….thanks!!

chakaping
    Free Member

Check the threads on here about set-up woes though.

It’s quite sensitive to chainline.

br
    Free Member

Either a single specific crank or use the middle ring position of a triple.

gonzy
    Free Member

Either a single specific crank or use the middle ring position of a triple.

current cranks are a triple set up as a single with the ring in the middle position…but i may decide to invest in some zees

chakaping
    Free Member

One tip that a few people have mentioned is using a new N/W ring.

endurokid
    Free Member

I’ve recently done this and had my first ride out last week.

I converted form a 1X10 with an XT double crank (new cassette, chain, ring, mech and shifter. I used my existing crank to save money)

The chain line isn’t great, and a little noisy, and the chain will drop when back pedalling (42T), but first impressions are good.

The only thing I’ve noticed is the crank doesn’t feel smooth when pedalling slowly in the lowest gear (42t), but drop down a few gears and it feels miles better, but I guess this is a chain line thing.

wilko1999
    Free Member

I have a complete 1×11 groupset and my experience after 3 rides is exactly the same as endurokid. Don’t think I’ve gained much coming from 2×10, in fact on the whole I think I preferred it. I do like having only one shifter but then the front mech and shifter never gave any trouble once initially set up.

gonzy
    Free Member

with the 11-42t cassette am i correct in assuming the rear mech would need to be a long cage unit?

gonzy
    Free Member

One tip that a few people have mentioned is using a new N/W ring.

i’ve already got one

sillyoldman

GS mech is fine for 1×11 with 11-42.

If using a double chainset, best to correct chainline with 2mm chainring spacers.

gonzy
    Free Member

GS mech is fine for 1×11 with 11-42.

If using a double chainset, best to correct chainline with 2mm chainring spacers.

using a medium cage GS mech would make netter sense

i’m using an LX triple crankset with the narrow wide ring in the middle ring position. i’ve got plenty of 2mm spacers so adjustingthe chainline shouldnt be a problem.
    my main concern was replacing the freehub for one that would take an 11sp cassette.

firestarter
    Free Member

Silly Oldman I was thinking of 1×11 on mu double but using a 30t ring which has 2mm spacers built in to clear the chain I presume this would actually provide a working chainline

Edit.. Move the ring 2mm inboard of the ring mounts obviously

sillyoldman

Yes – that should be fine. Can further fine tune if need be though.

scotroutes

I’m running 2×11 with no chainline problems.

firestarter
    Free Member

Sound thanks

sheepshifter
    Free Member

Chain line is always an issue running 1×10 and 11 , drive is called so because it takes you forward. Whilst in 37 or 42 the chain will drop but instantly crawl back up , this happens on my 1×11 and 1×10. Not a issue only in those cogs whilst trailing up technical climbs.No doubt if on a triple or double whilst on the so called middle up front and large at the back chain line wouldn’t be great. My reason for 1×11 been using expanders 1×10 and shifting was dreadful.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘11sp xt upgrade?’ is closed to new replies.