Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 11sp XT downshift when pedalling back
  • godzilla
    Free Member

My new XT downshiftswhen pedalling back, also it I take my foot off the pedal it spins the crank backwards and shifts down, only from 42t.
    Any ideas?

ben98
    Free Member

Limit screws?

Rorschach
    Free Member
    nosedive
    Free Member

Im just about to set this up (cassette arrives on monday). What chain are you using? Ive gone for a kmc. Will report back when i put it all together

godzilla
    Free Member

I’m using a shimano ultegra.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Err, don’t pedal backwards…?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Why would you ignore anything ben pinnick says?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have just fitted an 11 speed setup and went with Bens Advice, which gave me a 47.5mm chainline instead of a 50. Basically I put the 2.5mm spacer that should have been on the drive side on the non-drive side.

The chainline is now straight for the central gears that I am in most of the time, and less severe for the 42 ring. I reckon wear on the big ring will be less like this.

It will still downshift on back pedalling though, but only after several rotations.

This may ease with time, as it already has a bit.

Some of it might be because I have the limit screw in too far, but one change seemed a bit iffy when it was further out.

Plus I am unlikely to back pedal much more than half a revolution normally anyway.

benpinnick

Yeah come on @Rorschach, lets hear it 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

godzilla – Member
    I’m using a shimano ultegra

Road shifters on the mtb group? Does that work?

Mister-P
    Free Member

I think he means chain rather than shifters.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Thats the chain that Merlin and Evans spec for it all.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I am using the sram 991 chain – wiggle have a good price on them.

Went with the drop the suspension to maximise the chain length required, then 4 links/2 link pairs overlap + the connector. Seems OK.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I’ve just installed 1 x 11
    Crank are XT triple 10 spd version with a 32 NW Race Face ring
    XT 11-42 Cassette, XTR 11 spd Chain, Xt medium Cage 11spd, and XTR shifter, no problems shifts like a dream and no problems back pedalling in the 42 ring or any other, Orange Alpine , standard chain line no alterations

bennn
    Free Member

My 10SPD XT is doing this, I fitted it all brand new to the bike this week, only does it on the expander too, any ideas?

Setup is 73mm BB, 1 spacer.
    Works Components 34T N/W
    XT 11-36 with Hope 40T and Shimano 16T
    XT Meduim cage mech
    Saint shifter.

Edit; sorry for thread hijack OP!

Thanks, Ben.

godzilla
    Free Member

The down shift hasn’t as yet been a problem thanks god, however the side shift into the spokes had caused some issues.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

however the side shift into the spokes had caused some issues.

that’s what I seemed to get once, hence the use of the limit screw, which means that it will downshift on back pedaling if I back pedal about 4 or 5 revolutions!

Might be a link in the chain is a bit stiffer than the others, or might go once the cassette is not so new.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘11sp XT downshift when pedalling back’ is closed to new replies.