Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 11/12 speed curious/confused
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Right. So I probably should have paid more attention but I didn’t and now I’m confused. I basically missed all of 11speed and now we are on 12speed… I know when SRAM 11speed came out you had to have an XD(?) freehub (or was that just to run 9tooth sprocket?).

Basically if I have old Easton Haven hubs (26” wheels) with free hubs that happily run 10 speed; can you just bang an 11/12 speed cassette on or do you have to have different freehubs? Are the 11/12 cassettes narrower to fit the same number of cogs? What’s the craic?

Or should I just stick with 10speed to go with my out of date 26” wheels…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Shimano freehub for shimano 11sp and sram nx 11.
    Xd from all other sram 11 and 12spnto get the 10t mounted.
    Easton may well do an xd freehub for your hubs if the design hasn’t changed over time.
    So simply with no freehub changes you can have shimano, sram nx and a couple of others like Sunrace on there.
    Obviously you will need the mech and shifter.
    For ratios front/rear

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

So theoretically on a standard Shimano pattern freehub I could run an 11speed sunrace 11-50t cassette? Such as this; Sunrace 11-50t

What’s the deal with chain rings? I can see a lot of 10/11 speed chainrings listed is the chainring / chain width the same for both 10 & 11 speed?

Shifters and mech I get obviously. It’s just the cassette sizes and fitment and chain widths etc.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Chain rings most N/W will do 10/11/12sp these days get the specific chain, the chain ring works by being a tight fit on the chain.

Looks like that would work, you just need to right mech range to cover that.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I’ve got Hope and Raceface N/W 30/32 so hopefully they will be ok.

Having said that having looked at the price of 11speed mech and shifters I might have a rethink / cry 😯

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/s?q=sram+gx+groupset&cat=direct
    Not in stock but those prices look decent for a full groupset

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Just to clarify with regards to 12speed (SRAM eagle) the SRAM 10t cassette you need an XD cassette but the 11t+ ones will work on a standard Shimano freehub?

I’ve got X0 cranks and narrow wide ring so I’m trying to minimise my upgrades!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep, 10t is smaller than a Shimano freehub. You need XD for those. I think on the SRAM site they list all the details.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

How reliable is 12speed? I’ve read mixed reviews of chain stretch / snap etc?

Wondering whether to go for 11speed for reliability

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Double post stupidity

brassneck

How reliable is 12speed? I’ve read mixed reviews of chain stretch / snap etc?

I’ve no direct experience but I’ve read that about going ‘1 up’ since 7 speed!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘11/12 speed curious/confused’ is closed to new replies.