Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 11/12 speed cost/weight
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi , new build planning now, looking at groupsets. 12 speed is coming down in price (gx for example) but things like cassettes are still very expensive for a ‘good’ weight.

Are there any 11 speed bargains around? Still not sure if 12 speed is necessary for me but 10-50 range dies appeal! Ways of mixing and matching brands to get the best combo? Lightweight carbon rear mechs dont bother me for example, they only get trashed or need bending back into shape anyhow. Not averse to second hand either.. Thanks all

blitz

Sunrace 11-50 cassette £60 ish from altheteshop. SLX/XT 11 speed shifter £26/£33 from CRC. SLX/XT long cage mech from CRC £33/£61. Narrow ride chainring and chain of your choice. I went OneUp as it comes with spacers to alter chainline and then a KMC chain.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

11sp GX has spot on for me, cassette did a huge amount of KM’s compared to some older stuff so the value was there despite the price.
    SRAM are at a better price point vs weight than shimano across the board if weight is your main issue.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Cheers but I guess that’s what I mean. The Sunrace cassette is 512gms! Weight isn’t the main issue but that’s a crazy chunk of stodge

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/sram-xg-1150-11sp-cassette/rp-prod135801
    Or 400g and 85 quid
    Also remember that if you want bug range it will be heavier it’s a simple fact of life.

joebristol

I was a bit disappointed that just after I got my new bike with GX 11 speed that GX 12 speed was released so quickly. Thought maybe 11 speed was a compromise and 12 would have been much better.

However, the range on 11 speed has been great so far – I’ve ever wanted for a lower or higher gear – I’ve got a GX 10-42 cassette with a 30t Sram chainring. Note I ride a 32lb (ish) Enduro type of. Ike and mostly ride trail centres / uplift days. Long natural rides with large road sections don’t feature that often.

That said, when I’ve been on the road with it the range has been fine – with the weight / 2.5 wide tyres running just over 20 psi I’ve not exactly been ripping up the tarmac to need a higher gear!

The cost of cassettes – especially 12 speed – is quite frightening still at the moment.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I think i may go for a Silly expensive cassette then do the rest budget. XTR cranks from a few years ago or something from eBay.

whitestone
    Free Member

I think i may go for a Silly expensive cassette then do the rest budget.

For the main consumable? While the top end Sram is a gorgeous bit of CNC is it really worth 3x the Shimano/Sunrace equivalent? I went through three cassettes before I needed to replace the derailleur. The Shimano Xt M8000, Sunrace MX8 and Sram XG-1150 11spd 11-42T cassettes all come in around the 400g mark. Move up to the Sram XG-1180 and you double the price to lose 90g.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

They last longer from my experience with regular chain changes (the main consumable) .

Xg 1195 is 260gms I think? Can be had for 200 euros

mikewsmith
    Free Member

While the top end Sram is a gorgeous bit of CNC is it really worth 3x the Shimano/Sunrace equivalent?

I dunno, is it 3x the price? 11sp gx is close to xt money fir lighter.

Tracey

GX Eagle is £299.99 on CRC at the moment and a BC discount code will take another £30 off.

whitestone
    Free Member

@mikenewsmith – there’s several Sram 11spd cassettes, there’s one at £90 that is about 25g lighter than the Shimano XT version at £55, there’s one at circa 320g for £180 then there’s one at £270 and 260g. By my calcs those prices are 1.6x, 3.2x and 4.9x the cost of the Shimano XT.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

For me a drivetrain is just something you have to buy,use,wear out , chuck in the bin and then replace.For me the value comes from how much use I get out of it v cost.I’m running Sram GX 11 Speed on my 2 bikes,and can get cassettes for around £75ish v Sram GX Eagle for around £150 ish .At the moment for me personally(and this may well differ for you) there is no value in paying double the cost to get a 50t cog.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Buy the new spec Voodoo Bizango (using 10% BC discount) for the 1×11 parts and then sell the bits you don’t want?

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-bizango-29er-mens-mountain-bike

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I should perhaps have clarified in my first post. Are there any top end 11 speed bargains around? Like XTR for pennies because everyone has 12 speed now

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Doubt it as the 11 speed is enough range for many people and therefore in demand still.

I will say SRAM XX1 11s has been the best performing drivetrain I’ve ever had, super smooth. Also has been quite robust.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Tracey – Member
    GX Eagle is £299.99 on CRC at the moment and a BC discount code will take another £30 off.

Sadly they sold all the stock within hours 10 days ago, unsurprising at that price…

P-Jay
    Free Member

If you’re looking for serious VFM the new Deore 11/42 10sp cassettes are cheaper and lighter then the 11sp XT cassette with the same range.

Couple that with some 10sp XTR or XT stuff (assuming that’s all buttons now).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

there’s one at £90 that is about 25g lighter than the Shimano XT version at £55,

and that is where the valid comparison ends….
    If you want to compare XO/XX with XT be my guest but it’s not really a comparison is it.

whitestone
    Free Member

Fair enough but the first two cassettes I used in the comparison are both XG. I don’t know the Sram groupset levels, I’m assuming XG is roughly XT.

Personally I think the best value for money, performance, durability, etc. is SLX. The top range stuff is fine if you are a sponsored rider but most of us aren’t. Then again it’s your/the OP’s money so it’s up to you how you wish to spend it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Personally I think the best value for money, performance, durability, etc. is SLX.

4000km on GX puts that firmly in first place for me, others replaced XT stuff in that time on much less use. It’s also a really sensible weight with one version being all steel and the other using a Alu 42t, the SLX is carrying an extra 100-150g depending on the version too. At £58 SLX and £85 SRAM I would be putting my cash to the big red there.

whitestone
    Free Member

4K on a single cassette is impressive. Not sure what I’ve got out of my XT cassettes (I’m using a 40T extender with a standard 11-36 cassette so 10spd not 11spd), probably in the 3000Km range as I put the fourth one on earlier this year at around the 9000Km mark for the bike. I replaced everything apart from the rear mech a few weeks prior to the HT550 and that broke a couple of weeks later so should have done that as well.

Plugged the SRAM cassette into gear calculator (actually the XX1 but it has the same ratios as the XG) and while it’s got 420% range due to the 10T rather than the 380% range of the XT, the ratio gaps in the middle of the block aren’t as nice for me.

1timmy1
    Free Member
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘11/12 speed cost/weight’ is closed to new replies.