• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by andyl.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 1*11 for a um larger rider, in the peaks on a heavy bouncy bike?!
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

So.. My current 2*9 drivetrain needs replacing. I like the idea of going 1*11 for simplicity and to save a little weight.

Will I be able to get up the horrible peaks climbs still with the ratios offered? Actually, also.. Will my hub and frame be ok with 11 speed?

Ta

scotroutes

Hub – ok if you stick to Shimano.

Ratio – there’s a 46T cassette just about to hit the shops. Team it with a 30T front and you should be fine.

But why change if 2x is working OK? Weight saving is minimal really.

ton

my new bike is coming with 1×10. 30 front 42 largest sprocket on back.
    on a full rigid bike tho, so i hope it will suffice. if i had bought a susser i would have stuck with 22/32 front and a 12/36 back.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

I saved about a pound in weight when I took into account the chain guide and guard I didn’t bother refitting because of the narrow wide ring & clutch mech. At 14 1/2 stone and on more padded side of svelt, I manage to get round dark peak on 11-42 with a 30T on the front

steve_b77
    Free Member

Could always stick a 28t on there if you’re really worried

chiefgrooveguru

If you embrace the spinning for the top end you can get away with a surprisingly small chainring. I’m running 1×10 with a 32t at the front and on the way home from work today sustained over 36 mph whilst continuing to pedal downhill (on-road). A 28t chainring should be pedallable to about 30mph and a 28/46 gear is the same ratio as 22/36 (lowest on 3×10).

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Thanks, soooo .. Will my hope pro11 SP hub not take an 11 speed cassette then? Can you tell it’s been years since my bike had any love 😀

scotroutes

It’ll take a Shimano 11-speed cassette, or you can change the freehub and fit a SRAM cassette

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

^ ah ok, thanks.

Another silly question – if I get a single speed crank (say XT for example), do I need different BB spacing/chainline?

ianfitz
    Free Member

If you are peaks based speak to 18 bikes. They have done loads of 1x conversions. They also have 11-42 10 speed cassettes.

docrobster
    Free Member

Is your 2×9 based on a double crank or triple with the big ring taken off? If the latter then 30t nw or 32t nw oval in middle ring position gives pretty good chain line.
    2×10 cranks may need faff with spacers.
    I think I recall I live near you RRR. I’m the wrong side of 14 stone and ride the peaks on 1×10 with 11-42 x32 oval on a 33lb fs or 11-40x30nw on HT . It’s fine. I’ve not found anything I need to push up yet. Walking is still sometimes quicker though 😀

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Yep my double is exactly that – a triple minus the outer ring.

And yep docrobster – I think I used to live not far from you but am now just north of Chesterfield. Your bike, “physique” and riding style seem very similar mine 😀

As for not having found any climbs that need pushing up .. You’re doing better than me then!

Cheers for info, excuse the ignorance but what’s all this oval malarkey about? Ok so out of touch :-/

docrobster
    Free Member

More teeth on the down part of the stroke. Helps if you can’t pedal in perfect circles.
    Free speed!
    Cheap as chips from superstar

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There are some charts about but… Simple numbers going from a 2×10 to 1×11 (10-42) I dropped 1 gear from the top and 1.5 from the bottom of the range. The sram gx cassette is a good deal (better than xt inho) I’ve gone a long way on mine so far.

andyl
    Free Member

if you don’t want a new freehub then Sunrace already have an 11-46 shimano fit 11 speed cassette out. Or you can wait for the new XT 11-46.

Failing that you can change your freehub to an XD one and fit a 10-42 Sram cassette or a 9-44T E13 TRS ones. Or you can go with Hopes own cassette and it’s freehub which will give you 10-44.

If you have regular 104 bcd cranks then you are limited to a 30T round ring or 32T oval ring. You can get 64 bcd (granny tabs) oval rings from absolute black that go up to 28T but I would only use them on a 29er as you would be spinning out like crazy.

Cheapest option if you don’t want some new direct mount cranks is 11 speed shifter and RD, sunrace or shimano 11-46 cassette and then either a 30T round or 32T oval chainring.

I have just set up my 26″ hard tail with 11-42 and a 34T oval. Absolutely fine on the ups and never ran out of top end on the downs. On my 650b full susser I will probably go with 32T oval and 11-42 or 34T oval and 11-46.

29er (Solaris) I am sticking with 3×10 as it’s a mile munching bike and a 3×10 WILL last longer due to more optimal chainline, especially in winter when things get gritty.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘1*11 for a um larger rider, in the peaks on a heavy bouncy bike?!’ is closed to new replies.