Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • 110mm to a 50mm stem is it to big a jump??
  • renton
    Free Member

As some of you might have seen my new to me 5 spot came with a stem on it that arrived home about 5 minutes before I do.

Ive just measured it and its 110mm which could be why I feel proper stretched out on the bike.

Im looking at replacing it and Im not sure whether or not to go for a 50mm or 70mm stem.

I had a large stumpy that I ran a 70mm stem on which felt ok if a little long.

The xl 5 spot is roughly the same length top tube wise as the stumpy which is why I cant decide on the stem length.

If I go proper short 50mm will I notice any adverse affect when climbing etc?

Cheers
    Steve

watsontony
    Free Member

climbing?

Scapegoat

How wide are the bars? I put a 50mm on my HT with 685 bars and it was way too twitchy. 70mm may be a better bet. There are too many variables to call it properly, but 50mm is seriously short and will only suit certain builds/setups.

bigyinn
    Free Member

There’s only one way to find out…..
    Have you actually ridden it with the 110mm stem before you do what the fashion police tell you?

renton
    Free Member

The bars are 750mm wide easton havocs.

When I put a 50mm stem on my old pitch it made the front end quite twitchy when going up steep hills, I guess it was down to being sat more rearward on the bike?

renton
    Free Member

bigyinn, yep riding it a bit and it feels awful to be honest. I feel to stretched out.

mangatank
    Free Member

Depends on the geometry. Long top tube would suit a 50mm stem. I swap between my long road stem and 60mm mtb stem without blinking (different bikes). As for climbing, I’m finding the short stem to be excellent. Go figure.

renton
    Free Member

watsontony…. you know .. going uphill.!!

GeForceJunky

Depends on what bars your going for. Short stems work great with nice wide bars.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Okay fair enough, 70 or 80mm would be worth a pop.

renton
    Free Member

geforce junky…as above 750mm eastons are my bar of choice.

RustyMac

The 50mm stem will make the steering more direct possibly describable as twitchy.

There really is only one way to find out what works for you and that is try a few. I have a selection of stems i have picked up cheap on the classifieds on here and ebay. I am a bit of a short ass so i have, 50, 60, 70, 80 and 90mm stems to swap on till i am happy. Currently i have 70mm stems on both my FS and HT.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Buy a few very cheap stems so you can use them for future testing. By very cheap I’m talking £10 or less from eBay. When you know what is comfortable buy a descent stem in that size.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Ha ha ^ great minds.

renton
    Free Member

Im waiting for a cheapo 70mm stem to arrive . trying to source a cheap 50mm but cant seem to find one??

RustyMac

Nice 50 mm stem here but you are best to look for own brand/manufacturer stuff, weight/colour doesn’t come into it until you know what works then go buy some bling.

aye-aye
    Free Member

If you enjoy the downhills more than the climbs, I say do it.
    I have a 35mm stem on my everything bike 8)

renton
    Free Member

yep watching that one already !!!

user-removed
    Free Member

I went from 110mm to 50mm. It’s fine at speed but slow, steep climbs are not so good. On the whole, I’d recommend it 🙂

jamm
    Free Member

You could cut the bars down to balance the stem better, but its pretty shoddy to be supplied with a 110mm stem with 750mm bars. Maybe ask the supplier if they could supply a more appropriate stem.

longmover
    Free Member

I have just gone from 120 x 685 to 80 x 720 it’s far more fun downhill but a little lighter up front when climbing, it was a worthwhile change.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the biggest factor is how you are on the bike really. 50vs70 wont be that big a difference once you have come back from 110.
    Where does the saddle sit on the rails, how much room to play is there?

Then find somebody with a spares box full of stems.

daveh
    Free Member

May I be so bold as to suggest a 60mm stem?

breadcrumb

Exoctic stems are dirt cheap and light too, will do for experimenting if its not bling enough for ya.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

but its pretty shoddy to be supplied with a 110mm stem with 750mm bars.

Why? My stem is sized to make my bike FIT me, not what the fashion police dictate, I have a long torso and arms so need a longer stem. I have a 110mm on my 20″ Five at 6’2 with 740mm bars. A guy I go riding with has a 120mm 0 deg on his Trek Remedy for the same reason and could outride most people I know and is a former National Champion racer.

pitchpro2011
    Free Member

Like Renton my short stem when I had as pitch was twitchy when show technical climbing, just changed to a 90mm on my five and its stopped so has the pain in my back. I’ll be honest I can’t tell a blind bit of difference on the descents

njee20
    Free Member

Is this bike even the right size? You felt a bit stretched on a large Spesh, so you bought an XL Turner?!

renton
    Free Member

Njee if you read my post I’ve put “my new to me” which kind of suggests I’ve bought the bike secondhand.

actually got the bike from funkrodent off of here who is actually quite tall at six four hence the long stem.

Size wise it is near enough the same top tube length as my previous large stumpjumper so I know it is the right size for me thanks.

I’ve not fitted the 750 bars yet as I am waiting for a 70mm stem to arrive.

currently has 685mm monkey bars and a 110mm stem which is how I bought it.

Cheers

Steve

daveh
    Free Member

Using the totally cobblers but very useful starting point of 20mm bars = 10mm stem: increase in bar width 65mm, reduction in stem therefore 32.5mm. 70mm good :-).

renton
    Free Member

Ok so Ive gone from this ………..

110mm

To this ….

70mm

Initial thoughts are that is better but a bit high so tomorrow I will try lowering the stem down.

Will let you know my findings!!

renton
    Free Member

I wouldnt want to go any shorter than a 70mm stem now this one is on !!

may even look at 80mm

aye-aye
    Free Member

renton
    Free Member

Liking that!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘110mm to a 50mm stem is it to big a jump??’ is closed to new replies.