Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 1*10 Speed, Zee or Slx ? And Questions…
  • gaberin
    Free Member

I want to convert my xc bike to 1*10 speed, it is currently set up single speed.

Not sure whether to get a zee or slx rear mech both in shadow + version, prefer the look of the zee, but which will work best? it will be with an SLX shifter as it cheapest.

The rest will be slx cassette 11-36, slx shifter, kmc chain, deore chain set and 36t middle ring, superstar chain guide- BB mount or seat tube mount?
    Will all this fit together and work fine?

Also can i use my standard middle chainring, or will i need a single specific?

Thanks in advance

Gabe

Northwind

Careful with Zee, there’s 2 versions, the DH one only works with up to a 28T cassette (it’s just one part that’s different but not worth monkeying around with). Can’t recommend between the 2 though, sorry.

Single specific middle can work better but a shifting one ought to do fine- more likely to lose the chain but not terribly so IME.

Seattube mount Superstar is gash. BB one is pretty decent but is a little easy to bend the backplate. If you can stretch to a MRP 1X it’s a fair bit better.

andyl
    Free Member

single speed front ring will work better as no shift ramps and deeper teeth.

As for rear deraillieur – check what range you need and choose the one that matches. Shimano tech docs instruction sheets tell you what the ranges are for each cage length but I would think a shortish one would be fine with a single ring up front.

Mackem

Ha, hope the answer is Zee, just bought the bits needed for a very similar set-up.

(www.probikeshop.fr was the only place I found a 11-36T Zee btw)

chiefgrooveguru

Just put a Zee 11-36 mech on my bike and although it’s only had one ride, I’m very impressed, especially for the money! It’s part of my very mix and match 1×10 drivetrain with Truvativ cranks, Hope 32t, KMC X10L chain, XT 11-36, Zee mech, Saint shifter. Was SRAM X9 10-sp before with SLX cassette but I’d ridden it into the ground, shifter was playing up and Zee mech cost little more than new X9 jockey wheels.

rotten
    Free Member

I’d go for the zee as it can be had in a short cage rather than a medium.

gaberin
    Free Member

Thanks guys, whats wrong with the superstar guide? except the fact that is says superstar on it.

mboy
    Free Member

Thanks guys, whats wrong with the superstar guide? except the fact that is says superstar on it.

Guide is too flexy, and backplate bends too easily IMO. Doesn’t do a very good job of keeping the chain on. Sadly with chain guides, all the ones that work very well are all very expensive! 😕

As for the rear mech. Zee is a dedicated single ring rear mech. SLX isn’t. What does that mean? Well, very little, but I’d always run as short a cage as I can get away with out of preference, so as you’re going 1×10 I’d buy the Zee over a mid or long cage SLX.

Dedicated single ring is far better idea as it goes some way to helping keep the chain on. Don’t bother spending loads of money on a Renthal or similar, decent single rings can be bought for £20-25, and a stainless steel one will last a lot longer.

nealy
    Free Member

I want to convert my xc bike to 1*10 speed, it is currently set up single speed.

Not sure whether to get a zee or slx rear mech both in shadow + version, prefer the look of the zee, but which will work best? it will be with an SLX shifter as it cheapest.

The rest will be slx cassette 11-36, slx shifter, kmc chain, deore chain set and 36t middle ring, superstar chain guide- BB mount or seat tube mount?
    Will all this fit together and work fine?

Also can i use my standard middle chainring, or will i need a single specific?

Thanks in advance

Gabe

That’s exactly the set up I’m planning on getting for my bike!

I know people who have bought a Zee shadow plus (clutch) mech for 1×10 and are happy with it, I believe it’s SLX level quality so may as well get the Zee as it’ll have a shorter cage but as has been said make sure you get the right version to fit your cassette.

The people I know with the BB mount Superstar guide are happy with them but the MRP guide is only a tenner more so…

On One do stainless steel 1x specific chainrings for £20 http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CROOSS/on_one_stainless_chainring

gaberin
    Free Member

Ok,

It works out at £118 at rosebikes for zee mech and shifter, xt cassette and a kmc x10 93 chain bought from merlin.

Or £119 at bike discount de for zee mech, slx shifter, slx cassette and kmc X10 93 chain

Anyone know of anywhere cheaper?

Mackem

I got the mech and shifter from http://www.probikeshop.fr
    Waiting on the cassette and chain from CRC. (free delivery got it less than the others)

gaberin
    Free Member

Just got the mech and shifters off the classifieds, just got to find a chain and cassette. Does the chain need to be shimano?

shindiggy
    Free Member

I’ve got the Zee rear Mech (11-36 wide ratio) from JE James cycles, Zee shifter (from Merlin Cyles). XT 11-36 cassette and some KMC chain (cant remember the model) plus the superstar BB mount guide.

No problems with the guide, back plate seems to be plenty strong enough, cant see how i would bend it and it keeps the chain on fine.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

I run my zee setup with SRAM or kmc ten speed chains no issues with either.
    Richard

mrpiglet1981
    Free Member

If you’re chain ring is worn your best replacing it at the same time as the cassette and chain to prevent slippage!

widge34
    Free Member

I went 1×10 from 1×9 in November. I went for a Zee mech, Saint shifter, XT 11-36t cassette and a Sram chain all for £150.

Very impressed with Mech and Shifter. Had to tighten the tension on the mech, but would defo buy again.

andyrm
    Free Member

I’m running the following on both my AM/Enduro bikes:

Zee rear mech (wide range)
    11-36 XT cassette
    36t DH specific ring
    Superstar Plasma device
    XT i-Spec shifter

Works faultlessly and has been thrashed in the UK & Europe. I’d definitely recommend this setup 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘1*10 Speed, Zee or Slx ? And Questions…’ is closed to new replies.