Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 11 Speed Symmetrical Chains – Joining Links
  • duckers
    Free Member

What are you all using? I much prefer to carry a few joining links a they’re MUCH easier to use than the Shimano pins, but I have an road bike with an 11 speed Shimano setup so am looking for options.. what have you all had success with?

nickc

I use KMC ones, but you have to take a file to the tabs a bit to make them removable without tools

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Think i have KMC ones, maybe wipperman. They all work.
    Some are single use.

DanW
    Free Member

“Single use” (sram?) links are actually reusable the same as the others. I’m not sure if it is US style arse covering or if “single use” refers to replacing the link when it comes to replacing the chain (which is what the recommend anyway and makes more sense). Basically, I don’t think there are any genuinely permanent “quick” links

otsdr
    Free Member

“Single use” (sram?) links are actually reusable the same as the others.

OK, I’ll repeat myself… 11 speed quick links are not officialy reusable (neither SRAM nor KMC)

They differ fundamentally from the 10/9/8 speed ones in the way they lock, by solely relying on the metal deforming when they are installed. By contrast, the others lock in place by slightly expanding and capturing the head of the rivet in a depression (see the additional shaping below):

[img]http://i.imgur.com/LpfrkMM.jpg[/img]

Yes, you can reuse them, but at your own risk (I do).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘11 Speed Symmetrical Chains – Joining Links’ is closed to new replies.