• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jiri.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 11 Speed / Road and MTB Sram compatibility
  • jiri
    Free Member

Hello, I am new to this Forum so I hope this question haven’t been answered before (I haven’t found it in the search).

I would like to ask, how is it with the compatibility of the road and MTB version of SRAM. I have an older Frame and would like to build a bike “like” this one:
    http://salsacycles.com/bikes/cutthroat/2017_cutthroat_force_1x

Can I combine the 11 Speed Groups from the Road and MTB editions?

Thank you!

Jiri

wzzzz
    Free Member

No

They have different cable pulls.

You can use a 10spd mtb rear mech with 11spd road shifters, but they sometimes can’t deal with the width of an 11spd cassette

I have 11spd rival hydro shifters with 10-42 11spd cassette. I tried a 10sp X7 mtb mech – worked but didn’t make it to the lowest gear (physically wouldn’t go that far with the limit screw backed off). I tried a an NX 11 mtb rear mech – didn’t work anywhere (different cable pull). I tried a short cage rival one rear mech, didn’t get on with the bigger cogs (can’t get enough b tension at the top, and resulted in poor chain wrap on the 10).

I caved in and bought an apex one longer cage rear mech and it works flawlessly.

jiri
    Free Member

Thank you for the answer. So the shifters do not work MTB/Road (eg SRAM rival shifters do not work with x1 rear mech.) But are the 11 Speed Casette and the chain the same for road and mtb? Can you use MTB wheelset with the road shifters?
    Jiri

wzzzz
    Free Member

The xd driver cassettes and hubs are the same fitment road and mtb.

Shimano fitment 11spd hubs are different road vs mtb.

jiri
    Free Member

Thank you!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘11 Speed / Road and MTB Sram compatibility’ is closed to new replies.