Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 11 speed quick links for Shimano chains?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve been happily using 9sp Sram ones on my 10 speed MTBs, but I don’t think they’re gonna cut it on 11 speed.

Any recommendations? Probably using a Shimano chain with new XT.

daver27
    Free Member

i just use the KMC or SRAM 11 speed ones

ransos
    Free Member

I have a KMC link on my road bike, with shimano 11 speed chain. Done about 500 miles so far, it seems fine.

chakaping
    Free Member

Was looking at the KMC anyway, will go for those cheers.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

THe KMC ones seem to work ok. You’ll need a pair of pliers to get them apart though!

honourablegeorge

Why not just buy a SRAM chain? Comes with the link included. I can’t be arsed with Shimano chains, purely for that reason.

chakaping
    Free Member

I wasn’t keen on the Sram 10 speed powerlocks and the Shimano chains are £10 cheaper.

TimCotic
    Free Member

Why not just buy a SRAM chain? Comes with the link included. I can’t be arsed with Shimano chains, purely for that reason.

I’m guessing the majority of new bikes come with Shimano chains (mine’s got a 105 set-up so I got a Shimano chain as standard).

chakaping
    Free Member

So is it normal for these KMC links to be so tight that they won’t actually pull into position on the chain?

I’ve given up and just used a chain tool instead for now.

Are you supposed to use a pair of link pliers to lock them into position? Not much use as a trailside fix like this.

scotroutes

Spin the cranks so that the link is on the top run of chain.

Stand on pedals.

The link will click into place.

boblo
    Free Member

They’re both one shot not ‘supposedg’ to be reusable.

cp

Stand on pedals.

This. Though you don’t usually need to stand on the cranks… if the bike is in the stand just put the rear brake on and push on the pedal with your other hand.

You’ll need a pair of pliers to get them apart though!

I’ve only ever had this when opening the link again immediately after installation. After you’ve put a few miles on the chain, the normal squash the plates together and compress the link at the same time by hand trick always works.

I’ve given up and just used a chain tool instead for now

I’ve found the old school chain tool rejoining method to be unreliable on modern (well, 10 speed) chains.

chakaping
    Free Member

Stand on pedals.

Will try next time cheers.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Is that a chaintool on the special shimano joining pin? Or a chain tool to push the part removed pin back into the chain?

If it’s the former, carry on, it’ll work fine until you next need to break the chain, then use a quicklink.

If it’s the latter, you’ve probably knackered your chain and you are at a fair to middling chance of smashing your nuts on your stem when the chain snaps……

chakaping
    Free Member

I think I’ve already discovered this.

Good job I went for a thrifty 105 chain.

kimbers

Right I’m not going 11speed until decathlon start doing their £1.50 power links like they do with 10speed
    I was umming and aging about it, but I’ll stick with 10 for now!

chakaping
    Free Member

I sort of wish I’d stuck with 10 speed TBH, it’s been so much more hassle getting it working right.

Matt24k
    Free Member

I use KMC and even re use them on 11 speed Shimano chains. You need one of these to open and close the link easily.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I sort of wish I’d stuck with 10 speed TBH, it’s been so much more hassle getting it working right.

really? Sounds more like poor prep than hassle. Upgraded one of my road bikes in the summer, took a couple of hours including new brakes, bar tape and so on.

Junkyard
    Free Member

spacing is getting thinner and therefore the mech movement is less so it needs to be perfect as it has smaller tolerances

Still on 9 speed myself but all single ring these days

fd3chris
    Free Member

That’s made me wonder about turning my salsa 11 speed as I’m using a 42 th expander and it shifts lovely.I thought 11 speed would just be a better range with the same quality of shifting.

chakaping
    Free Member

really? Sounds more like poor prep than hassle. Upgraded one of my road bikes in the summer, took a couple of hours including new brakes, bar tape and so on.

I had high hopes after loving 11sp on my road bike.

11sp XT is much fussier about chainline than 10sp though, which has been the cause of most of my problems.

chakaping
    Free Member

Stand on pedals.

Just wanted to say thanks again, worked like a charm. Just gave it a crank in the workstand. Never too old to learn.

Removed my previous manually fixed link and replaced with the KMC one, so all should be hunky dory now.

*touches wood*

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘11 speed quick links for Shimano chains?’ is closed to new replies.