Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 11 Speed Power Link and Chain Tool Needed
  • grannyjone
    Free Member

I recently got a bike that is 11 Speed while my other 2 Bikes are just 10 Speed. I have found out (the hard way) that my existing 10 Speed Chain Tool and Power Link are useless on the New Bike so need to buy these tools again.

I checked the prices online and they are very expensive for what they are. £20 for a Chain Tool and £10 for a Power Link.

Does anyone know where I can get hold of these without it costing the Earth ?

scotroutes

I use the same chain tool for all my chains 9, 10 & 11 speed. What is the issue with yours?

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Same here – one tool for all

You should be able to get a powerlink (or equiv) for about £5 – maybe the KMC one?

flashinthepan
    Free Member

Can’t post a link on mobile but search

KMC 11 speed link

Merlin showing them at £2.99

mrblobby
    Free Member

Curious. My chain link tool works for both.

Actually only just realised I’ve been accidentally running a 10 speed KMC chain on an 11 speed group (Di2 Ultegra) for the past couple of months 😳 Other than a very slight indexing issue around the middle of the cassette that I couldn’t dial out I’m surprised it was working as well as it was.

Link tool for a fiver…
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/x-tools-pro-master-link-pliers-one-size/

grannyjone
    Free Member

I couldn’t push the rivet out with my chain tool. I use one of those small emergency trail side ones for every job on the chain. Maybe I just need to push it harder ??

This made me think my chain tool must not be 11 speed compatible ?

I’m not sure what spec it is as when I bought it I was only interested in whether it would work with the 10 speed bikes.

PJM1974
    Free Member

+1 for using 10 speed power links. I’m not dead yet.

There’s no need for a dedicated 11 speed tool, any chain tool will do. Just keep tightening until the central rivet pops out.

DezB
    Free Member

KMC power links are 2 for £10 on CRC. (Doesn’t tell you it’s for 2, but it is.)

Or do you mean a power link tool? My x tools one works on 9/10/11 speed.
    And others have said, chain tool works on all. Mines one of the old folding Park ones, so have been using it since 8 speed!

Ps. An aside – Chain whip as well, they all say you need a 10/11 speed one, but my old 8 speed one works on all cassettes 🙂

pps. its worth buying a proper chain tool though, emergency ones on multi-tools aren’t that great!

daern
    Free Member

I also use the same chain tool I’ve used for years, although I recently swapped trail tool to this one which also works fine. Due to a rather inconsistent family setup, I carry 9,10 and 11 speed powerlinks on rides, but they are hardly a big inconvenience – you just need to remember to replace them when you use ’em (or give them away to others, as I probably do 80% of the time!)

I use KMC and SRAM powerlinks interchangeably and find them both good. I’ve used Shimano chains for years, but have now stopped using the pin in place of a powerlink as it makes maintenance (e.g. linkage bearings, mechs etc.) so much easier to do.

solamanda
    Free Member

No quick links need a tool. Just drag ‘extra’ chain over the chainring, position the quick link so it’s perpendicular to it’s normal orientation and then strike the side of the link in the direction it’ll undo with an object, it doesn’t need much force. A modest tap with the side of a multi-tool or a spanner will do it.

DezB
    Free Member

They may not need a tool. But it’s a jolly damn site easier with one.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

This tool is a little better than most, makes the link as well :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007E8YO7Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

daern
    Free Member

No quick links need a tool. Just drag ‘extra’ chain over the chainring, position the quick link so it’s perpendicular to it’s normal orientation and then strike the side of the link in the direction it’ll undo with an object, it doesn’t need much force. A modest tap with the side of a multi-tool or a spanner will do it.

I think the tool they were referring to was the pin-pusher, which you certainly do need if you want to fit a new chain (even if for subsequent removals, you don’t).

I’ve also got a pair of quicklink pliers and they were well worth the few quid they cost. Highly recommended.

steel4real
    Free Member

New chain (unless Shimano ?) will come with a powerlink ?

KMC & SRAM state the 11 speed power links are ‘not reusable’ – but they can be re-used. Not sure how many times but I’ve been reusing mine. (KMC link on shimano chains) although you do need power link pliers to open them.

If needed on the trail a 10 speed power link can be fitted to an 11 speed chain so you don’t need to carry both. But it is for a ‘get you home’ fix as it may hinder shifting and be liable to fail.

If the OP meant ‘power link tool’ then as others have already pointed out the same tool will fit all sizes of chains.

Chain tools (rivet extractors) – yes some are not compatible with 11 speed, it depends on the design.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘11 Speed Power Link and Chain Tool Needed’ is closed to new replies.