Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • 11 Speed is it all that ?
  • TheSlider
    Free Member

SRAM 11 speed came on my Trek. Was great for 5 months but now is TRASH. Changed chain and inner and outer cable. Gave the shifter a massive spring clean. Okay, it’s better but nothing like it was. The seals seem pathetic on the shifter and didn’t expect to have to change the, stupidly expensive, chain so quickly.
    Anyone else thinking 11 speed is THAT one step too far for mountain biking ? The very small tolerances in mud just don’t add up.
    Got me dreaming of my 8 speed from the past and if I can put a 42 tooth cassette on that ?? God knows how much another 11 speed shifter will be.

singlespeedstu

My 1×11 has been running much smoother than my 1×10 setup in the shitfest we have at the moment.
    Both Shimano. 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

I got a bit frustrated setting up my 11sp XT and kind of wished I’d stayed 10sp.

Then I did a couple of rides on 10sp with an expander and when I went back to the 11sp it felt amazing.

Jury still out on longer-term performance obvs.

mattyfez

I’m rocking a 3×8 so can’t really comment but I’d imagine the small tolerance is not great for dirty conditions..they seem high maintenance.

mattbee

Seems to have been fine for my wife, 6 months on XTR. No difference maintenance wise to 10spd.
    Only reason I’ve not changed yet is not wanting to drop down spec wise from my 10spd SRAM XX but will do eventually.

alextemper
    Free Member

How can fewer moving parts of a 1 x system be more maintenance? The tolerances between 1 x 10 and 1 x 11 are very similar. I also don’t see how anyone expects 1 x 11 to have a better wear rate either just because it costs more. Ride requently and / or in bad conditions then things will wear out regardless of their cost. SRAM shifters are notoriously bad compared to the rest of the groupset components anyway and a gear cable is just a gear cable.

agnik1
    Free Member

My 1×11 SRAM works perfectly fine (non to 1×10 Shimano that I had in the past) after 8 months of use now. Although I bought it as a USED, and I’m riding in Scotland 😉 so I’m HAPPY.

Daffy

I’m running both 1*11 an 2*11 and I have to say, having owned every iteration of XTR from M950 on through, the M9000 gear is phenomenal. The shifting is flawless and it’s lovely and smooth despite the weird chainline I see each time I look down.

xyeti
    Free Member

My riding buddy did 1,800 Miles on SRAM 1X11 same chain, same cables.

Ditched it and then flogged the set up on ebay for £275.

SirHC

1600miles on my X01, on the 2nd chain and chainring, still plenty of life left in it.

Northwind

alextemper – Member

I also don’t see how anyone expects 1 x 11 to have a better wear rate either just because it costs more.

I think people reasonably demand that expensive kit lasts longer. Disposable kit has to be cheap.

I’m on a SRAM/Shimano crossbreed, it’s very good. Don’t know about longevity yet. I’d have stuck with 1×10 but it doesn’t make economic sense now to build an expanded 1×10 setup from new.

julzm
    Free Member

I’ve had the same SRAM XO1 cassette on my main bike for 18 months, it’s done about 2000 miles. Changed the chain about 8 months ago, it’s still perfect. However, I do have a hope BB instead of the stupid SRAM red ceramic one. My chain is cleaned and regreased after every ride and I’ve only used rock n roll blue on it throughout.

Shimano XT 1×11 seems pretty decent other than chain suck when it’s muddy.

I think the extensive range that the chain line has to deal with means the system has to be kept clean to run well.

TheSlider
    Free Member

I think paying £18 ( cheapest I could find anywhere for the chain) I should expect a longer life than 5 months. I ride nearly exclusively off-road so the 1500 miles I did on it needed love and lube but, as I said, I’ve put a new chain AND cable on but it’s got me cursing.
    It’s SRAM X1 by the way. AND I even got the Trek shop I brought it from to check I’d done everything right in the setup, so it’s not me !

TheSlider
    Free Member

“1600miles on my X01, on the 2nd chain and chainring, still plenty of life left in it.”

Anyone remember ‘Trigger’s’ broom ?

deviant
    Free Member

Another here who is yet to be convinced. The range on 11speed cassettes has now rectified my main concern with going 1x, I don’t think I’ll fall over sideways on my steepest climbs now but chainline does continue to bug me….all the anti 2x and 3x brigade would bash cross over gears, horrible chainline from smallest front cog to smallest rear cog etc….and yet seem perfectly fine going through chains on 1×11 systems due to horrific chainlines when in either of the largest or smallest cogs….it’s due to stuff like that which has seen me go back to 2×9 for my FS….parts are practically given away on CRC and Wiggle and chainline seems superb….also my SLX chainset comes with a built in bash guard that I’ll miss horribly when I have to abandon 2x drivetrains….finally by keeping two chain rings I’m able to run an 11-32 cassette which is a joy to use with no huge gaps in ratios at the back.

jamj1974

My 1×11 has been fine over equivalent of 12 months of my normal riding, changed chain once and cable once – but before they needed it. Wear appears no worse than 9 speed or 10 speed.

Rode my 10 speed with expander today and it’s just not quite as good…

njee20
    Free Member

I think paying £18 ( cheapest I could find anywhere for the chain) I should expect a longer life than 5 months. I ride nearly exclusively off-road so the 1500 miles I did on it needed love and lube but, as I said, I’ve put a new chain AND cable on but it’s got me cursing.

Srsly? you’re objecting to having to pay <£40 a year for transmission parts on your multi-thousand pound bicycle? 10 speed sure as **** wasn’t any better, you’re just forgetful.

xyeti
    Free Member

Slider, I would gladly pay £40 for drivetrain parts if I could get anywhere near 1,500 miles under my belt in 5 Months,

I’d struggle to do that on road so clipping that off on a MTB is impressive,

Northwind

deviant – Member

chainline does continue to bug me….all the anti 2x and 3x brigade would bash cross over gears, horrible chainline from smallest front cog to smallest rear cog etc….and yet seem perfectly fine going through chains on 1×11 systems due to horrific chainlines when in either of the largest or smallest cogs…

Just doesn’t happen tbh. Crossover really isn’t the same thing- the widest chain deflection on 1x is the same as you had in the second from end cogs on triple rings and nobody worried about that.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Couple of months of extensive very wet and gritty use of sram 11 speed here in the peaks and it’s still running as new.
    Ran shimano xt 10 speed with an expander before and the sram 11 speed is significantly better, if I can afford to replace the parts when worn is a different story though.

Pooley
    Free Member

Similar experience to Sir HC on a S-Works HT. All good, well pleased.
    Drivetrain always kept immaculately clean. HTHs

jamj1974

Agree with Northwind re: crossover.

andyrm
    Free Member

Coming up to 2 years on X01. Bike does in the region of 500-600km a month between commuting and off road use. I live in the wet SW but ride and race all over, preference for natural over trail centre where possible.

New chain every 3 months without fail, use Pure dry lube (the white one in a dropper bottle) and keep it well topped up. Still on same cassette as originally fitted.

Shifting is still bang on too – once a year full length cable change but other than that, nothing.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

5 months and you only changed the chain?

Bet your cassette is on its way out.

Kryton57

I’m now 14 months on an SLX 2 x 10 same cassette same chain, ride & race with no slippage. Maybe its Squirt, but I can tell from the cassette & rings there’s lots of life left in it.

My reasoning is changing to 1 x 11sp for racing convenience / weight loss / going oval reasons rather than refresh the double setup before my season starts in March and pay cassette/chain twice.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Slider you are in the wrong sport if you think that 18 quid is stupidly expensive for an 11 speed chain .

nickc

I’ve put a new chain AND cable on but it’s got me cursing.

joke, right?

TheSlider
    Free Member

Some of you seem to be missing the point. The move to 11 speed DOES involve higher prices for every replacement part, just take a quick look on Chain Reaction, I have averaged 5-6,000 miles a year since I kept a record so I’ve been through 8,9,10 and now 11 speed and I’ve always looked after my bikes myself and now, despite thinking 11 speed is the best of the lot for 5 months, I now think I’ve fallen into the ‘latest’ fad trap.
    Luckily, as I said, my new bike came with it so at least I didn’t pay God knows what for it (I know the price reflected the components before anyone goes into one) because I would be even more peeved.
    And yes, I know the cassette and chain ring will be next, thanks. Then the rear mech.
    Good to hear SOME haven’t had any problems though.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Well 1 chainring is cheaper to replace than 2 or 3 . One shifter is cheaper to replace than 2 . No front mech to replace . Rear mech costs a bit more but not lots more. Chains are still pretty cheap and you are less likely to snap them. With no front shifting . Only really the cassettes that are significantly more expensive , especially seam cassettes unfortunately for you.

deadkenny
    Free Member

1×11… it’s just “one more” 😉

But that extra one means much change to accommodate. If you can handle one less gear, then 1×10 will do, and then of course you can swap a less used gear for an expander but yes shifting will be a bit clunky as it’s a big jump to the expander and maybe different materials.

What we need is for someone to make a full 1×10 cassette with cogs oriented towards the climbing end up to 40, 42 etc. With 1×11 existing though there’s less call for it and the big names won’t do it as they want to sell 1×11.

Still think there’s a market for pick’n’mix cassettes. Would come as a base spider and then you just buy the cogs you want.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Sun race do a 10 speed 11-40 or 11-42 casette.

nickc

well, I change my chain, cables and cassette every year, and I do about 1200 off road miles, that’s 1×10.

I’m not feeling particularly hard done by if I’m honest.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Ramsey Neil – Member

Just noticed that following that PSA Billys thread 😀

Northwind

The Slider – Member

Some of you seem to be missing the point. The move to 11 speed DOES involve higher prices for every replacement part, just take a quick look on Chain Reaction,

Where 10 speed is discounted because it’s old, and 11 speed is expensive because it’s new. Same was true of 9 and 10 once and I remember being properly boggled at the price of a 7 speed exage mech…

whitestone
    Free Member

Praxis do a 10spd wide cassette as well

beano68
    Free Member

I do rate the 1X11 SRAM setup as I’ve been using it now for about 13 months but now on my 2nd Cassette/Chain ring(Absolute Black) and chain… its good but costly

slimjim78
    Free Member

I think 0.0012 pence per mile is reasonable for a chain.

0.0025+ and I’d start getting shirty

TheSlider
    Free Member

Some great points guys. I guess, all I really want is gears that don’t clunk, reliable and change when I want. Obviously asking too much in winter !!
    I DID so love 11 speed all that time. No front mech faffing. Oh joy !!
    Anyone want to buy a (almost) fully working Trek Remedy 9 17.5″ actual 16.5″ (what’s all that about) ?

TheSlider
    Free Member

Probably got a lot to do with moving up to Bracknell and having Swinley forest as my local trail which is very gritty this time of year.
    After all I said, it went like a dream today ! I love 11 speed again !!! Didn’t do the red route though which is the worst bit.

poah
    Free Member

the SRAM stuff I tried was no where near as smooth as my XT 11sp. its a noticable improvement over the expanded 10sp I had previously. not a huge fan of the new XT shifter though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘11 Speed is it all that ?’ is closed to new replies.