Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 11 speed cranks
  • ChrisL

I need to buy bits for my new hardtail frame and I appear to be hitting a wall of dithering over the cranks. I’d like some not particularly fancy cranks with a 30t chainring. The frame has a normal threaded BB. It’ll be going with a SRAM GX mech and cassette. What would you recommend?

Things that I have dithered over:

[list][*]The GX-1000 cranks are fairly cheap but aren’t direct mount and only seem to come with 32t chainrings, so I’d have to factor in a 30t ring.[/*]
    [*]The GX-1400 cranks are still pretty cheap and support direct mount chainrings (I think) but come with 32t rings and direct mount chainrings for SRAM cranks are pretty costly.[/li]
    [*]Race Face Turbines can come with 30t rings but the BB is separate and is a funny size (30mm spindle). It sounds like the BBs require a special tool for installation too.[/*]
    [*]Shimano options (SLX/XT) are well priced, and depending where you look both are available with 30t chainrings. BBs are sold separately again. Are Shimano chainrings as good at retaining the chain as narrow/wide chainrings are?[/*]
    [/list]
    Any other recommendations?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Consider the race face aeffect. Direct mount and 24mm axle.

ChrisL

Thanks. Currently leaning towards something from Shimano, but I’ll have a look at the Aeffects too.

superstu
    Free Member

I bought slx chainset from chain reaction last week and despite forgetting the fact that they didn’t come with a chainring they did come with a BB. Superstar selling their narrow wide old stock very cheap so £13 posted for a 32t n/w. Not sure if they had 30t equivalents for sale

Edit-just been to the garage to check and you’re right, doesn’t come with bottom bracket. Man I’m dumb.

goss
    Free Member

I’ve found RaceFace chainrings to wear down quicker than any other due to the ‘toothpick’ design..
    If you go Shimano (M7000/M8000) cranks choose the M7000 chainring as they should be more durable. HT2 BBs are cheap these days.

Northwind

Aeffect is what I have on the fatbike- think Peter has them on his Transition too.

Stevet1
    Free Member

direct mount chainrings for SRAM cranks are pretty costly.

Works components were £25 last I checked.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

direct mount chainrings for SRAM cranks are pretty costly

I’ve found SRAM direct mount chainrings to be the cheapest option.
    SRAM do a 28t steel one for about £14.
    Broadest range of aftermarket options from other manufacturers too.

joebristol

I went for an SLX triple chainring on offer from chain reaction when I had the same question for my bike. It came with a hollowtech 2 by and was pretty cheap. I sold the standard chainrings that came with it on eBay and that mostly covered the cost of a NW ring aftermarket. Can’t remember total cost but it worked out pretty cheap.

ChrisL

I ended up going for a set of XTs with a 30t ring. I’ll have to keep an eye on how the chainring wears, though given it’s Shimano even with the funny BCD I expect there’ll be plenty of replacement options. The BB was extra but was less than half the cost of anyone else’s.

chakaping
    Free Member

Superstar do the rings already I believe, their narrow-wides are very good.

swanny853

Same sort of question, I ended up with SLX and a works oval ring. Unless you need smaller than a 28 (or 30 oval) or you’re willing to part with carbon money (I was tempted by some Sram carbon ones) then I’d struggle to justify anything else. It basically came down to direct mount RF looking a bit nicer vs SLX being significantly cheaper, with a side order or preferring the shimano crank arm retaining method. Wallet won.

Friend of mine has been running the older style shimano rings and hasn’t mentioned having chain drop problems, sample of one though! Aren’t the SLX ones thick thin anyway? If I didn’t want oval I’d be on those.

honourablegeorge

Raceface Aeffect very good, direct rings, work with standard BB, fiddly to remove(need an crank puller or a mallet and some aggression).

UByk have excellent prices on the Affect. (And Ubyk are generally lovely to deal with, very helpful, easy-to-contact folk))

I saw the SLX in the flesh for the first time, they look like XTR at a glance, really nicely finished. Shame no direct mount, and an odd BCD but certainly a good option

benpinnick

GX 1000 boost are (read should be! Might be worth checking with whoever you buy from first) DM compatible (both boost and non chainrings work) – cheap enough you could buy the cranks and the ring you want and still have spare bits left over. Also consider the Descendants if you can find a good price.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘11 speed cranks’ is closed to new replies.