Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 11 speed chain – shimano on shimano running gear?
  • paulneenan76
    Free Member

After my rear mech ruining issues last month, it turns out the chain (shimano) was knackered also and I broke it on Sunday. All XT so replace with Shimano or do I go SRAM 11spd (which is what i’ve always used on the old HT) or KMC?

Ideally I’d like to have a quick link again for reduced faff when cleaning etc.

scotroutes

You can use a quick link on a Shimano chain.
    I like Shimano chains and have no problems with them.

I never take a chain off for cleaning.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Rock n roll blue lube. No need to ever take the chain off to wash.

athy62
    Free Member

I run a SRAM chain on 1×11 XT no problem. And I take it off regularly to clean. Link not as snappy but never failed.

jimdubleyou

Rock n roll blue lube. No need to ever take the chain off to wash.

Dunno about that, mines pretty filthy – it might need a soak soon.

gelert
    Free Member

I run SRAM NX 11 speed chains RRP £11 on my Shimano XT 11 speed and XT 10 speed no issues.

I’d rather change a chain earlier than necessary so more expensive bits last longer. NX chains seem to last as long as any other chain too. I wait for it to begin moving beyond 0.5 and just change it for a new one.

Whatever cleaning regime I’ve used and I’ve tried a few on all the chains hasn’t made any of them last longer no matter what their cost so with the NX I’m not trying to make them last forever.

I use Rock n Roll Blue lube in the summer / as long as I can. It didn’t work through the wettest rides this winter for me – it washed off. I had to change back to Muc Off wet lube. Hopefully back to Rock n Roll soon.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

On the hard tail I rotate 2 chains, take them off, soak in turps, clean one up, dry and re-apply squirt lube, whack back on. Works fine with SRAM chains. I’d prefer to do this and dont mind using shimano but want a quick link as I wouldnt trust reusing a pin.

andyl
    Free Member

shimano do a quick link now too.

I use the YBN ones from merlin on my shimano chain with no problems. It’s a roadie 11 speed chain too!

paulneenan76
    Free Member

So it seems that new 11spd Shimano chains now ship with their quick link?
    If so, stick with shimano chain or go SRAM NX or is it much of a muchness and go with cheapest/best value?

chakaping
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter IME.

I usually buy 105 for cheapness, might try NX next time.

andyl
    Free Member

Sram do a really good 11 speed chain for about £11-13. You don’t “need” anything better. Although the quick link is a locking one and I don’t think Sram officially do any re-usable 11 speed ones.

The only chain I have heard problems with on 11 speed are KMC.

I also use 105 11 speed shimano chains. They have basically just been re-branded as 105/XT but I grabbed some when they were 105 and cheaper.

Don’t know if they come with a quick link or if that is an extra.

teethgrinder

I run HG54 10 speed chains on my M8000 setup, and a SRAM 10 speed powerlink. Haven’t died.

Yet.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘11 speed chain – shimano on shimano running gear?’ is closed to new replies.