Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 11 Speed cassette replacing a 9
  • phil5556

Are all Shimano cassettes interchangeable?

According to the spec of my bike I have Shimano CS-HG50 9spd 11-32 and Shimano SLX M435 Rear.

Will a new Shimano 11 Speed fit without having to change anything else?

I see the SRAM are different and I’m trying to keep this as simple as possible.

thejackal69
    Free Member

No you will need an 11 speed wheel and hub and a new 11 speed rear mech.

dhrider
    Free Member

You only need a specific wheel / freehub body if it is a road cassette.

An 11 speed Shimano MTB cassette will fit straight onto your MTB wheel which is running the 9 speed cassette.
    Obviously you’ll need a new 11 speed shifter, rear mech and chain too.

srshaw
    Free Member

Actually you won’t need a wheel, 11sp MTB is the same width as 8/9/10 sp, road bikes are different and 11sp is wider.

You will need new shifters and probably derailleurs.

I upgraded my 10sp xt hubs to 11sp no problem.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

I’m fairly sure the M435 rear hub has a 10speed compatible freehub if it’s this one:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-m435-rear-hub/rp-prod159691

and therefore an 11speed MTB cassette will fit it.

The width between the lockring and outer edge of the alloy carrier is the same between 10spd and 11spd SLX/XT/XTR cassettes.

My 2009/10 Hope Pro 2 rear hubs runs perfectly on XT8000.

phil5556

Sweet cheers, sounds like my plan could be coming together.

Might be back with more specific questions later.

I’m aware that my shifters and mech won’t work etc and also my cranks are no good as I think the smaller 2 rings are fixed.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

M7000 drivetrain groupset will be a mere £250 or less.

M8000 will be more like £350 but worth the extra cost, e.g. you’ll not ‘need’ to upgrade any of it, just replace bits as they wear.

If you’re going 1×11, use an online gear calculator to match your current first gear ratio, for example, 24×36 is about the same as 32×42. Or if you want a good place to start, 32T up front, 11-42T at the back. Oh, and make sure you get a Medium Cage rear derailleur and not Long (SGS).

phil5556

Cheers discjockey

I’m going to be building it initially from second hand / taken off my old bike so it’ll be mostly whatever I can find to get it up and running with a longer term plan to upgrade to new bits.

My “proper” bike is 1×11 and has a 30×10-42 and suits me so I’ll probably go for the same.

Why a medium and not long cage? What’s the difference in operation?

And finally will a Shimano cassette work with derailleur?

Thanks

demelitia
    Free Member

Why a medium and not long cage? What’s the difference in operation?

I imagined he means it in terms of improving chain retention. A shorter cage means less chain flopping around over rough ground that might mean the difference between keeping and dropping it.

You also just don’t need the long cage as you don’t have to accommodate the big ring on the front any more. Less weight, less chance of snagging it on terrain and less chain rattle.

phil5556

Brilliant, thanks for the explanation.

I’m getting a bit swamped down in all the googling working out what works with what, so thanks for all the input.

phil5556

Ooh, so SRAM NX Looks interesting…. (and cheap)

vincienup
    Free Member

The ‘long’ cage in Shimano 11speed derailleur land has the necessary capacity for 2×11. It is overkill on a 1xsystem and will just be a potential mechanical that you don’t need. May also increase risk of chain drop.

SRAM NX is fully compatible with a 9/10 Shimano speed mountain bike freehub and shares all the limitations of M8000 et al, but is a reasonable low cost solution.

11speed Shimano compatibility ‘simplicity’ has been somewhat sabotaged by the likes of Hope losing patience with there being slightly different length freehubs that otherwise look the same in the same number of gears, but for different uses, and standardising. I blame the roadies and their fascination with spacers for everything. 😆

phil5556

Thanks, all makes sense.

I’ve actually gone for the NX – chain, derailleur and shifter for about £60 and found a second hand crankset with (probably knackered) bottom bracket to go with it. NX only comes in Long but guess it’ll be OK if not totally ideal. Bear in mind this is a second/project/budget bike.

Just need to find a cassette to go on it now 😀

MtbRoutes

Don’t forget the thick/thin chainring.
    I tried one of the cheapie 8 quid jobs via Amazon (SNAIL) and it’s fine.

phil5556

MtbRoutes – Member
    Don’t forget the thick/thin chainring.
    I tried one of the cheapie 8 quid jobs via Amazon (SNAIL) and it’s fine.

Already coming with the cranks 🙂
    It’s a 32T GX.

And I’ve found a Shimano M7000 11-42 cassette on eBay for £40. I really would have preferred 11-46 but this is cheap.

papamountain
    Free Member

Sunrace cassettes are good 11-46. Better spacing than the shimano 11-46. £50-60 though.

phil5556

So…. After all that I’ve just bought some 27.5 wheels with an XD Driver.

https://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/WBI25EGRS/wtb-st-i25-tcs-rim-on-el-guapo-rattlesnake-hubs

Luckily hadn’t bought a cassette yet.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘11 Speed cassette replacing a 9’ is closed to new replies.