Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 11 Speed Botch
  • gavdog
    Free Member

I’m thinking of going 11 speeed and have a preference for Shimano XTR, however would like the range of the 11 Speed SRAM cassette.

Will an XTR mech and shifter work with a SRAM 11 speed cassette? Main concern would be the mech clashing with the 42 tooth ring.

Anyone already running it?

Would probably go for XTR cranks, which chain though?

I’m aware of the change of freehub issue for the SRAM cassette.

Cheers

tomhoward

Will an XTR mech and shifter work with a SRAM 11 speed cassette?

Shifter only has 9 clicks.
    Mech wont accommodate the full range of gears.

so thats a negatory….

fwiw i was an XTR fanboi before getting and using sram 11 speed. Now its on 3 of my bikes. Give it a whirl….

njee20
    Free Member

Or do you mean the new XTR M9000 stuff? Which may work, couldn’t guarantee it.

warpcow
    Free Member

Some guy on mtbr says “it works”, but gives no details of exactly what it is that he got working. You could try PM’img him.

Here.

techsmechs
    Free Member

The spacing will be different between the 2 cassettes. It *may work but it probably wont work well…

cookeaa

It’s quite a pricey experiment to take a flier on:
    XTR Mech/Shifter, Hub with an XD Driver, XX1/X01 Cassette…

Has anyone got Cassette Sprocket thickness/pitch dimensions for Shimano and SRAM 11 speed MTB parts, are they any different to their road groups?

gavdog
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses. I mean with M9000 11 speed XTR. Spacing should be pretty similar, both must have uniform spacing between gears and 11 cogs to fit between spokes / frame so I’d expect that it would be near as. But as the XTR mech was designed to fit below a 40 tooth cassette could it clash?

Expensive expiriment!

Will have a look on mtbr for the guy running it.

Cheers

njee20
    Free Member

both must have uniform spacing between gears and 11 cogs to fit between spokes / frame so I’d expect that it would be near as. But as the XTR mech was designed to fit below a 40 tooth cassette could it clash?

I’d definitely say it’s not a must at all, they’re doing things very differently – an XD body could be a very different length to a normal M10 freehub body – the frame would take up a 2-3mm width discrepancy, but that would be enough to bugger the indexing. Similarly as Shimano offset their 40t towards the spokes, but SRAM don’t. It may work, I’d go as far as saying that I’d expect it to, but it’s a dangerous assumption!

If it does I’d be tempted to put Di2 shifter/mech on my XX1 set up.

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

I’m also interested in this. Maybe i’ll sit down and try and work it out this evening

gavdog
    Free Member

Agree that there could be a difference in the total width / cog spacing of the cassette, Can’t find any dimensions for either online though.

Is 11 speed XTR available yet – anyone got it?

njee20
    Free Member

I’m also interested in this. Maybe i’ll sit down and try and work it out this evening

Unless you have an XX1 and XTR M9000 cassette in your hands I’m not sure what you can work out?

The odd bit is trickling through, but not really.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

shifters and rear brake were in stock at crc last night, not seen anything anywhere else

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘11 Speed Botch’ is closed to new replies.