Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 11 spd MTB cassettes – just checking…
  • Stu_N

Currently running a 9spd set-up everything is a bit knackered – time to spend some £££ on that bike.That Merlin 1×11 SLX groupset offer looks very tempting I have to say.

I’ve lost touch a bit but I think I can upgrade to 11 speed Shimano without replacing my wheel (or freehub body) can’t I? Running a c.2012 Crossmax ST so I think I am
    Ok but would appreciate confirmation.

Also, I would need to look into a new freehub to move to SRAM 11/12 speed wouldn’t I?

scotroutes

Correct on both counts.

Stu_N

Thanks, much appreciated.

deadkenny
    Free Member

SRAM XD cassettes will need an XD freehub, other than that, everything else is Shimano freehub.

You can even get SRAM shifter & mech but a Shimano cassette. Works fine (as I run).

However there is the cheap/heavier SRAM NX cassette which uses Shimano standard, if you really wanted a SRAM cassette without changing hub. An XT or SLX would be better choice though in my opinion as both lighter I think.

Note, Shimano cassettes go down to 11t. SRAM 10t (because of the XD hub). At the low end Shimano go to 46t now I think on XT, but they only do 40t on the XTR. SLX, 42t?

whitestone
    Free Member

I thought the Hope cassette required a specific freehub?

My wife’s just had a Stooge built up with a 1×11 and the Shimano cassette is 11-46 in XT flavour.

deadkenny
    Free Member

True, there are some like Hope doing their own thing, but it’s a limited market. Limits you to Hope hubs as don’t think you can fit their freehub to other brand hubs.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Currently running 11 speed XT on both of my FS bikes. They will work just fine with the standard splined freehub, the advantage of the SRAM XD system is that you run a 10 cog sprocket in the highest gear instead of an 11 cog that’s the minimum with Shimano freehubs.

I’ve read far too many anecdotes about over-torqued SRAM XD freehubs shearing and requiring a very expensive fix for my liking, so I’ll stick with Shimano until something better comes along.

wesutf1
    Free Member

Re Hope cassette, as it is the same standard as the Oneup cassette cluster, it can also be run on DT hubs with the Oneup minidriver, and apparently Stans have their own driver for them as well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘11 spd MTB cassettes – just checking…’ is closed to new replies.