Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 11 spd chain on 9 spd chainset. Anyone running this?
  • m1kea
    Free Member

Gnarmac bike currently has 46/34, which is a bit high for hills.

Realised I had an old spare XT 770 which has 44/32/22 and would be perfect. Ditch the 22 and buy a 68mm HT2 BB and I should be sorted.

What I don’t know is whether the teeth are going to be too wide for the chain?

m1kea
    Free Member

Bump for the Monday morning crowd

m1kea
    Free Member

Anyone able to comment?

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

I think the axle lengths on mtb vs road HTII chain sets are different aren’t they?

m1kea
    Free Member

catfishsalesco

I think the axle lengths on mtb vs road HTII chain sets are different aren’t they?

Interesting point and I can’t find any refs online to confirm or deny.

I’ll check with a tape measure.

Still doesn’t answer the narrow chain on wide c set dilemma

richmtb

What I don’t know is whether the teeth are going to be too wide for the chain?

I doubt it, there isn’t a huge difference in internal width between 9,10 and 11 speed- thinks its fractions of a mm.

There is no way a standard (not narrow wide retainer type) chainrings wouldn’t have enough clearance accept the small difference in internal width. Otherwise it would never shift.

So yes it should fit, shifting might not be “optimal” though

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I’ve run an 8 speed chain on a nine speed MTB setup quite happily. Not sure if that is helpful!

I’m sure it will be fine. I was really surprised it worked going from 8 to 9, but I honestly can’t tell any difference!

breatheeasy
    Free Member

How is getting a 68mm bottom bracket going to make the axle on the cranks shorter?!

The cranks will fit, but you’ll have to use the normal bottom bracket that works with it and add the usual spacers in.

Chain line might be an issue though.

m1kea
    Free Member

breatheeasy

How is getting a 68mm bottom bracket going to make the axle on the cranks shorter?!

Dunno if that’s addressed to me but its a cross frame and has a ‘road’ 68mm shell. Concur that the axle might be too long / a chainline faff.

damascus
    Free Member

I run an xt chainset on my tripster as it has a 135 rear hub. My old sram rival chainset used to rub on the chainstay when I was giving it some beans.

It’s not perfect, to get the chain line I need 2 spacers on the non drive side and 1 on the drive side (I think)

I also think the axle width is called a q factor and off the top of my head an xt one is 168. Hope that helps.

karl1824
    Free Member

Run a 9 speed chain on a 7 speed cassette on my road bike commuter, works ok but would probably fit right chain if it was my MTB

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘11 spd chain on 9 spd chainset. Anyone running this?’ is closed to new replies.