Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • 11-38 Cassette 10speed
  • tanz
    Free Member

Is there a 11-38 10 speed cassette available for a shimano set up, I’m running 1×10 on a 34T front ring but could just do with a 38T 1st gear at times, I don’t want to go to a 32T on the front so I’m hoping there is on about.

mos

11-34 with one of the smaller cogs removed and one of those ss 38t jobbies off eBay. Worked for me.

rOcKeTdOg

ss 38t jobbies off eBay

got a link?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tanz
    Free Member

Ya any link or info where its from?

jonnyrockymountain

KCNC do a 11-38 titanium one at around £300 ??????

dantsw13

How does this cog work? Is the smallest sprocket not required to do up the locknut on a cassette?

rickt
    Free Member

Don’t forget about your chain length though…….

allthepies
    Free Member

Installation requires the removal of one of the smaller ( higher gear ) cogs. This can result in a minor ratio gap due to a larger than normal tooth differential. This can be avoided easily by replacing your first position cog with a 13 or 14t cog. I have both available in another listing.

dantsw13

Ah, so you either:

1. Keep the 11T, and remove 2nd or 3rd sprocket, leaving a ratio gap.

Or

2. Buy his 13T to go in the outer position instead of the original 11T

oakesy2001uk
    Free Member

but if you remove the 11t, and swap for a 13, you may as well just drop to a 32t on the front!

Its interesting though, I can’t figure out why no-one offers a reasonably light 11-38 or 11-40 cassette…

chudsy
    Free Member

Would it be possible to fit a 38t cog with a 9 speed cassette?

wonnyj
    Free Member

I run a 33t chainring on my 1×10. It’s e13 I think.

tanz
    Free Member

Interesting….
    I’m hoping shimano do something this year as far as rear cassettes go!

njee20
    Free Member

Trouble is that a 13-38 cassette is a lot narrower than 11-36, totally pointless!

tanz
    Free Member
    nick1962
    Free Member

Trouble is that a 13-38 cassette is a lot narrower than 11-36, totally pointless!

Maybe for racers but not your average weekend biffers 🙂

psling
    Free Member

And let’s face it, if you need a 38 you probably are a weekend biffer 😉

aracer
    Free Member

Maybe for racers but not your average weekend biffers

Except njee’s point is that the weekend biffers would be better off with 11-36 and a smaller chainring.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Brilliant 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

I do love this obsession with maintaining a high top gear that in reality probably doesn’t get used much and the wondering why you (not op specifically) struggle on hills.

Let alone the need to have a 1 x system and not have enough gears to ride everywhere, fashion in its most perverse form.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I also wonder why people think that everyone is like them and pedals the same and has the same style of riding 🙂

I end up riding 32t bikes a few times and it just doesn’t work with how I ride and I end up spinning out all the time on singletrack. I love being able to put in 1 pedal stroke and get somewhere with it exactly when I need it (as there is only time for 1)

Going 1x has some great advantages of losing mechs, shifters and being able to run a proper guide for much increases chain retention. People are getting there with the big range cassettes and if the 1×11 comes down to the everyday level I reckon it will be making a big inroad into the market.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Who like who?

Not enough gears on your bike for how you ride is just plain daft, sticking with it is even worse just so you can loose a front mech and a couple of 100g’s of an overall weight in the region of 80-90kg for your ‘average’ guy on a ‘normal’ to here bike. It’s a fashion led compromise

KevinPP
    Free Member

I think there are a lot of people who have actually tried it who would disagree with you. All gearing is a compromise. If it works for your own application then great. All depends where you ride, what you ride and how you ride. I find 10 gears is plenty for me, others don’t.

antigee

It’s a fashion led compromise

similar opinion – though looking at swopping my SS to 1 x 10 a compromise that will work well for me

think it is a little bit comparable with road bike enthusiasm for doubles – recent hilly challenge event and I passed (but only just!)quite a lot of riders pushing their bikes on one steep hill – so my triple may look shit but beats pushing – I know good riders could ride it easily on a compact but I bet those punters weren’t told that in the bike shop

orangeboy
    Free Member

For me 10 is enough for the places I ride,
    I don’t have to walk up hills and I don’t get left behind on the flat

I have a top chain guide and clutch mech so chain does not fall off
    Nothing to do with fashion just about a bike that works.

grtdkad

Similarly I built a 1×10 earlier this year : 32 chainring and a 11:36 cassette. Riding in Malvern I just have to accept that I’ll spin out all over the place (flats and downhill) and as a result still ride my old 3×9 just as much – particularly for Strava chasing 😕

… Plus side of the 1×10 is that I’ve abandoned the need to use the granny ring on the 3×9 !!

steve_b77
    Free Member

KevinPP – Member
    I think there are a lot of people who have actually tried it who would disagree with you. All gearing is a compromise. If it works for your own application then great. All depends where you ride, what you ride and how you ride. I find 10 gears is plenty for me, others don’t.

I agree, but in the case of the OP he doesn’t have a sufficient spread of gears with a ‘normal’ 1 x set up.

I’ve ran 1×9 (32t front & 12-36 rear on a 29’er) on my ht and it was fine for me for everything I rode on it inc t’peaks and welsh Wales. So I’m not a naysayer. It’s just people seem to become obsessed with running setups that are too much of a compromise to their riding style / ability / fitness levels.

ampthill

If it works for your own application then great.

This thread is about it not working. The solution would seen to be more chain rings. I speculate as to how much more that would way way as a 38 steel rear sprocket will way more than another chain ring…

Dougal
    Free Member

11-34 with one of the smaller cogs removed and one of those ss 38t jobbies off eBay. Worked for me.

njee20 is right, this is a totally retarded idea.

11-36 cassette is a range of 327%.
    13-38 cassete is a range of 292%.

So instead of buying a smaller chainring, you spent MORE money on some snakeoil cassette BS, and ended up with LESS range.

Did you fail maths at school?

dantsw13

If I do this, I will keep the 11T, gain a 38T, and accept a gap in the 13-15T range.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I did this amazing thing a while back. I got rid of all my gears bar one.

No mechs, no shifters, no noise.

I do have a few spinning out problems and can’t get up some climbs – anyone any ideas how to get round this?

mos

I said ‘with one of the smaller cogs removed’, not ‘with the smallest cog removed’. I thunk peoplz cud wrk rest fur tem selvz.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Fit a Rolhoff

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘11-38 Cassette 10speed’ is closed to new replies.