Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 11-36 tooth 9 speed ?
  • scu98rkr
    Free Member

Is it possible to get an 11-36 tooth 9 speed cassette ?

Or to boodge one ? Would it work with a standard XT rear mech ?

I brought a 12-27 speed ultegra mech and bodged on an 11 tooth cog to that no problem. Would this be the same.

Does anyone know of a light weight 36 tooth cassette ? I’ve noticed the deore one but a bit heavy as really I wanted to save weight.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i think you could use the deore 12-36 and change the bottom to an 11t (& lockring)

the hg61 12-36 weighs 422g. 😯

other than that i think you are looking at custom stuff (try mtbr)

PaulD
    Free Member

I agree with Tom.

Here is a link to a light-weight solution, but you may cry when you see the price.

http://store.comcycle-usa.com/Cassettes-and-Chains-24130/Cassettes-24131.aspx

PaulD.

thomthumb
    Free Member

slx 10 speed groupset is cheaper than an actiontech caseette!!

why the need for 11-36?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

Just wondering about getting rid of the front mech with out having to upgrade to 10 speed

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get rid of the front mech, use a 34/11 tooth cassette with your chosen chainring size and you’ll be fine.

I use a 33 with a 32/11

rustler
    Free Member

Exactly the same here, fine pushing 11-34 x 32t, but find that 34-32 is still that bit high, especially end of a long ride / very steep stuff. Slowly collecting SLX 10spd stuff, just need a cassette now.

The fettler in me still has an idea around machining down an unramped 36t chainring, & replacing the largest sprocket on a 34t cassette after a bit of milling, drilling & riveting. 😛

I spotted that 36t Deore, but then spotted the weight of the thing.

messiah
    Free Member

I use Kinetic K-Gear software to see what difference changing gear ratios is going to have.

Does going to a 11-36 make that much difference to using an 11-34???

Depends for a start on what size ring your using up front – if your planning to use a 32 up front you lose your three lowest gears at the back, if you go to an 11-36 you only lose the last two.

If you follow fashion and go for a 34 up front your back to losing the lowest three at the back but gain one bigger gear up front… If it was me, and I had an 11-34 9spd cassette kicking about I would simply give 1×9 a whirl with what I had. If I only had a 11-32 cassette to try I would try it, and beg/borrow an 11-34 off a mate to give it a go.

Changing to 10 speed or even buying new bits at all to “try something out”, when that something can almost be accomplished without the expense seems a little daft.

trail_rat
    Free Member

do hill reps – its cheaper 😉

thomthumb
    Free Member

I spotted that 36t Deore, but then spotted the weight of the thing.

out of interest where did you guys see the weight? i couldn’t find a published one?

PaulD
    Free Member

Tom,

Weight in here:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=cassettes

You can also use the 36T off this cassette by unrivetting the assembly (it is not a spider-based unit) and put it behind an 11-32 with the 11T missing and a substitute 13T with lock-ring serrations and a 12T lockring. The 11T lockring will not work with anything else and vice-versa.

PaulD

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘11-36 tooth 9 speed ?’ is closed to new replies.