Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 11-36 cassette with triple chain rings?
  • bmike
    Free Member

Can I use an 11-36 cassette with 22-32-42 (or 44) triple chain rings? I’m concerned that even a long cage rear mech won’t be able to take up enough chain for that range (specs say 43t range, but that combo is 45t). Is the 11-36 intended only for use with a double ring chainset?

I was going to run the 11-36 with a 28/40 double chainset on 26″ bike, but I’m worried it won’t go high enough, as I’m used to 11t with 44 chain ring. Instead, I’m thinking of building a 29er (guess bigger wheels mean higher gearing, all else staying equal?), and wanted to use the 11-36 cassette with a triple chainset to get the widest range.

If I have a 36t on the cassette, I won’t need to go as low as 22 on the chainrings, so I could swap that for 24/26, if they are available that size?

Also, while we’re on the subject of chainsets, are 9 and 10 speed shimano chainsets compatible/interchangeable? Printed on my 10 speed chainset is “HG-X chain only”, but the teeth themselves look very close to 9 speed chainrings, and the spacing between rings looks the same.

And why do shimano 9 speed chainsets normally have a 44t big ring, and 10 speed triples seem to be 42t?

parkesie
    Free Member

I run 11-36 with a 22-32-44 triple. Long cage xt no problems.

drovercycles
    Free Member

Yeah, it’ll work fine.

nickc

Difference between a 40T and a 44T chain ring is pretty un-noticable really.

I would have thought a combination of a 22t granny ring and 36t cassette would see you pedalling at 1000rpm and you would probably still fall over sideways before reaching forward movement… 😀

simonk
    Free Member

I have run 11-36 on a 26/36/48 chain set with no problems at all.

tom200

My bike came with a 22. 32 42 and 11 36 cassette and xt long cage rear mech, worked fine. If you need to use the 22/36 you will be quicker walking.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Difference between a 40T and a 44T chain ring is pretty un-noticable really.

Really ?

Admittedly I’m a slow cadence type but I’d notice…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘11-36 cassette with triple chain rings?’ is closed to new replies.