Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 10spd to 11spd
  • cozz
    Free Member

a friend has a road bike with 10 spd, if he buys a complete 11spd groupset, will the new 11 spd cassette fit onto the same freehub as the 10 spd

I think it will ?!

scaredypants

shimano implies it won’t ( I believe – but I don’t know)

(I’m assuming it’s shimano)

mashiehood
    Free Member

i dont think it will – my new DT Swiss 240s hub has a spacer for a 10 speed cassette, which needs to be removed if installing 11 speed.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Haze

Pretty sure he’ll need a new hub.

The small spacer found on the 10 speed is to take up the difference from the wider 9 speed spacing?

taxi25
    Free Member

If he’s using shimano wheels definitely. Some other wheels, mavic ect, no. You just remove the spacer.

traildog
    Free Member

He will most probably need a new freehub body, unless his bike is already got a wheel which is ok for 11 speed and is using a spacer – i.e. a new-ish wheel. 11 Speed is wider than 10speed (10 was actually narrower than 9)
    So it all depends on what his wheel is and how old I guess.

All worth it as you can go that much faster with an extra gear. 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

Without knowing what wheels he has it is not possible to say 100% yes or no.

njee20
    Free Member

Without knowing what wheels he has it is not possible to say 100% yes or no.

This, but AFAIK the only wheels that are ’11 speed compatible’ out of the box are certain Mavics – which have the spacer on the freehub, plus those from manufacturers like DT bought within the last year. Everything else he’ll need a new freehub body.

shermer75
    Free Member

It’s all rather confusing this. It would be good if there was some kind of database somewhere that had all the right info. Is it only Shimano 11 speed cassettes that are too wide? I’m also looking at SRAM…(edit: not that I’m the op or anything)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘10spd to 11spd’ is closed to new replies.