Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 10spd cranks – cogs + 9spd narrow wide ring + 9 spd cassette. Will I die?
  • dabble
    Free Member

As above, need new cranks, want to future proof myself as i have a 10spd cassette and dérailleur to put on when the current 9spd cassette dies. I will be replacing the cogs with a bash guard and single narrow/wide 9spd ring at the front. Will there be any issues with this?

Ta for looking.

njee20
    Free Member

You won’t get a 9 speed specific narrow/wide ring, but they’re interchangeable. So no, you won’t.

hot_fiat

Nope you will not die. You;ll need to replace the narrow-wide when you go 10sp.

richmtb

So you will have a 9 speed chainring up fromt and a 9 speed cassette?

You will by fine , cranks are cranks, if you swap the chainring there will be no issues

dabble
    Free Member

Sweet, I wasn’t sure whether or not the narrow wide was specific. Cheers for the answers dudes.

njee20
    Free Member

The bigger issue is that whilst you’re on 9 speed you won’t have a clutched rear mech, so chain retention may be an issue. Some folk find it fine, others don’t.

gonzy
    Free Member

So you will have a 9 speed chainring up fromt and a 9 speed cassette?

You will by fine , cranks are cranks, if you swap the chainring there will be no issues

+1

you could use 10sp front chainrings on your 9sp chain as the internal width of shimano 7,8,9 and 10sp chains are the same…its the external plate width that is different…so theoretically you can use a narrow wide ring on the front with your existing setup…but is you do make the switch to 10sp you’ll probably need to replace the front ring depending on how much wear there is

theflatboy
    Free Member

Yes, you are going to die.

dabble
    Free Member

Can you foresee when it will happen flatboy? Now? or in the future surrounded by loved ones in my old age? Don’t mind the thought of the second. Oh, who am I kidding, I don’t have any loved ones.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I’m afraid I can’t.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘10spd cranks – cogs + 9spd narrow wide ring + 9 spd cassette. Will I die?’ is closed to new replies.