Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 10sp – SRAM or Shimano?
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

OK, did a search but couldn’t find anything but can’t believe this one hasn’t been done before.

Looking at upgrading to 10sp to get a clutch mech (have one on my other bike – Shimano). WHat are the virtues of Shimano v SRAM in the 10sp stakes?

I’ve heard that SRAm are better when going to a 40/42 tooth cog but tempted to go SHimano due to other bike

tomhoward

Poll on the front page would suggest Shimano…

raisinhat
    Free Member

There’s not really that much difference between them to be honest. It also depends a little on your budget and if you want front sifting as well. To summarise the most oft-quoted differences:

Sram mechs work better with add-on 40/42t cogs
    Sram mechs allegedly wear out and go wobbly faster than shimano ones
    Shimano shifting has a lighter feel (saint shifter aside) – some would say it feels smoother and more refined, others would say it lacks feedback and that sram shifting is much more positive.
    Shimano front mechs are usually considered to be much better
    Shimano offers better value at lower prices, deore and slx are better value than X5 and X7

(To declare my biases, I use shimano on all my bikes)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cloudnine
    Free Member

Saint shifter with zee mech.
    So far much betterer than the sram it replaced

kimbers

ive got sram on my new build, after 8 months of fairly regular use the rear mech has a lot of play in the pivots and ive had to retighten the clutch a few times,
    I also really miss the dynasis forward/backward release on the shifter

looking forward to teh day when it dies and I can rdplace with a shimano

Bushwacked
    Free Member

So looks like Shim so far

Kuco

I’ve got Sram X9 on one bike and Shimano XT on the other and I much prefer the Shimano.

si66
    Free Member

I run SRAM
    my wife runs Shimano
    I’ve been through 3 rear mechs and hers is still fine!
    Other than that they both seem to work brilliantly with a 34t & 11-36 cassette
    Unless you’ve got the money for an x0 mech with replaceable pivots is go shimano

breadcrumb

I prefer the feel of SRAM, but Shimano 10sp stuff was way cheaper.

To be honest the Shimano set up doesn’t feel as vague as I remember.

Northwind

I was a SRAM fan, their stuff wasn’t as well made imo but it worked and felt better. But with 10 speed and especially with Saint, Shimano weren’t shy about looking at all the things SRAM did better than them, and copying them. So now you can get Shimano build quality with SRAM feel and function.

I’ve got Saint shifter, XT mech on 2 bikes now, and it is superb. X9 is not bad at all but it’s not a match even when new and by all accounts it doesn’t last as well.

spicer
    Free Member

I’ve got 10spd Zee on one bike and 10spd X9 on another.
    Prefer the shifting of the SRAM by a fair bit. Shifts very smoothly at the lever but still clunks nicely into place. It just makes the zee feel cheap. But I prefer the clutch on the shimano compared to sram, mainly because it’s adjustable. The SRAM stuff feels and looks much nicer, but the zee is a budget saint so does look like a cheaper version of something else as it’s supposed to! The cagelock on SRAM is also surprisingly useful! All in all, I’d go SRAM

bikeneil
    Free Member

Definitely a Saint shifter. I’m not a huge fan of Scram so I’d go Shimano.

Sui
    Free Member

I’ve got Saint Shifter and XT clutch with 42T rear… lovely smooth shifting and the ability to shift 3 at a time both ways.. 😀

paganman
    Free Member

I’ve always used Sram XO & X9 over the past few years, but got an Orange clockwork last year with Shimano shifters and mechs and think they’re far superior in every area, tougher, easier to set up, cheaper, In fact I liked them so much I bought some XT xhifters and an SLX clutch mech to replace the SRAM stuff on my other bike too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tried a couple
    SLX – Felt heavy and poor shifting, an effort to shift (on 2 different bike – nearly new demo’s)
    XT – a lot better than SLX – demo bike
    X9 Mech and Trigger Nice solid and crisp shifting – OH’s bike
    X0 Shifters and X9 Mech very definite changes in the shifter. Solid click but effortless to change (OH’s upgraded bike)
    X01 Wow next level up
    X0 Twisties and X9 Mech – solid, crisp & precise with the ability to up and down shift 6 or 7 comfortably and 9 at a push.

X7 – not worth it.
    As a rule with SRAM if you are X9 and up it’s good, Shimano do work better for your £ in the lower ranges.

Kuco

i find my X9 sloppy compared to my XT.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I don’t have an opinion as yet, but I’m sure that will change over the next few months as I’ve just recently replaced the hardtail’s XT/Saint 9 sp drivetrain with a 10sp X9 shifter and type 2 mech. This is my first time running Sram gearing and so far the nice crisp shifting is showing up my old worn baggy 10sp XT stuff on the full suss.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I can’t advise regarding the feel and which is best, but I find my X9 type 2 bulletproof and very precise shifting. It’s been on the bike for over a year now over a particularly filthy winter so has been well tested. My bike is no garage queen and rarely gets cleaned so it’s definitely not Molly coddled, so comments about SRAMs lack of longevity or robustness are a surprise to me. Especially when I look at my riding buddies. One has had his x7 mech for years (though the one that came with my bike lasted 3 rides, but it was a quality issue that caused its failure) and he’s not easy on bikes, his x7 mech has outlasted at least 2 frames. Similarly another mate had been running a 9spd x9 mech for years. They seem plenty robust to me. I’ve got Shim 105 on my road bike which is nice. Can’t say it feels better quality than the SRAM on my MTB.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Depends if you are planning to run a 40/42t add on cog. If you are SRAM will shift better, although the new One-Up replacement mech cage will probably fix that. Because of this I’m currently running SRAM on my bigger bike that has a 42t sprocket on. Otherwise, the shimano kit is nicer and the ability to change up two gears at once is great. I’ve got one of the One-Up cages on order, so if that fixes the shifting I’ll be going back to Shimano, although probably with a Saint shifter as I find it a little too easy to over-shift on the XTR shifter when it’s very bumpy as the action is so light.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘10sp – SRAM or Shimano?’ is closed to new replies.