Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 10mm QR rear through axle question..
  • baz2963
    Free Member

I have just ordered a set of Stans flow rims on Superstar Switch evo hubs .. they are going on a Canyon Nerve AM.

Now my question is, if I changed the rear hub to adopt the 10mm QR through axle would I need to change the dropouts or would a standard 9mm QR dropout suffice ??

& is it worth doing for extra stiffness ??

Thanks

z1ppy

10mm will fit in the std rear drop out.
    I’ve done it (bolt up though, not bolt thru QR) but then never ran a QR on the bike. So dunno if it improves thing but I is a fat barstewards so everything that stiffens things is good in my world.

EDIT: Do also have a 9mm bolt thru QR, which I felt improved thing up the front end, nothing empirical about it, just felt better to me. SO doing the same at the back end seemed a no-brainer to me.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I did it on my Blur 4X. Made no difference (as far as I can tell) at all. Suspect it’ll likely make more of a difference on something like a Five/Meta/Heckler maybe…

kimbers

the dropouts measure 9mm on the front and 10mm on the rear
    which is a bit silly if you ask me

i found it improved stiffnes when landing jumps sideways and riding berms etc

baz2963
    Free Member

From how I imagine a 10mm QR Bolt through to be, I take it there is nothing to stop your wheel falling inside your frame i.e. with a standard 9mm QR the wheel stops in the dropouts for you to push the QR through, correctly lined.

So I assume you would have to line up your wheel by hand then push the bolt through into the hub .. is this a pain ???

kimbers

i dont really understand what you mean but i have no problems aligning my wheel when i put it in

nixie

Noop not quite. The 10mm axle sits in like a fat QR, you don’t take it out so when you put the wheel into the frame the 10mm axle stops the wheel falling through. THey are no more difficult to use than a standard qr.

BadlyWiredDog

From how I imagine a 10mm QR Bolt through to be, I take it there is nothing to stop your wheel falling inside your frame i.e. with a standard 9mm QR the wheel stops in the dropouts for you to push the QR through, correctly lined.

So I assume you would have to line up your wheel by hand then push the bolt through into the hub .. is this a pain ???

It just sits in the drop-outs like a normal QR axle. If it didn’t how would it fit through the drop-outs…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘10mm QR rear through axle question..’ is closed to new replies.