Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 10mm bolt up rear hub on a Chameleon??
  • londoner
    Free Member

Hi all,

In the process of building up my Chameleon (2010 frame, vertical dropouts) and I’m ready to order my wheelset.

Going to be going for Hope Pro 2 hubs, QR15 front and was going to go with QR rear but I’ve always had them flimsy rear skewers bend etc in the past and I’d like to go for a more solid rear hub connection this time round.

Been looking at the 10mm bolt up rear Hope hub, the type with the hex head bolts rather than nuts, I cant see any reason why it wouldn’t work or cause any problems but thought I’d run it past you guys first before I go ahead and order my wheelset??

Thanks for any help, Dan.

MSP

You could try bolt through rather than bolt up. Skewers from superstar or dtswiss rws.

londoner
    Free Member

Thanks, only seen the pro 2 bolt up or in or whatever it is with the hex head bolts, QR, saint or 12mm which I’m sure wont fit. Would you have a link to a pro 2 bolt through hub or know if the bolt up type will work without issues? Thanks again.

xiphon
    Free Member

Try using a 135x12mm hub, with the Azonic Momentum axle.

MSP

Bolt up would work, but bolt through gives the advantages of quick release with the same stiffening as bolt up.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=61000

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=287

londoner
    Free Member

Thanks a million guys!

So would the 12mm hub fit in the Chammys 10mm dropouts?

MSP, after your first post I was thinking of just buying a QR rear hub and getting this conversion kit for the 10mm thru bolt http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18761

But is the Saint Pro 2 hub basically the same but with the 10mm bolt thru conversion already in? and I could use that with the Superstar QR thru bolt you posted the link to? That would save some dough and fiddling with hub conversion kits plus I do like the idea of still having QR but with the added strength/stiffness.

Sorry if I’m sounding thick here but only ever dealt with standard quick release hubs in the past lol

MSP

Yep that’s basically it, it’s a bad description calling it saint hub, its just a 135mm bolt through hub, which was a standard introduced on the saint groupset (I think) although the saint axle is longer as it holds the hanger on as well iirc.

5lab

with that kit you’d still (by the looks of it) need a physical bolt.

Saint bolts protrude about 1″ from the drive side of the frame, which is useful for holding the strongest mechs in the world, but you can also just bolt a standard m10 nut on the end with a washer to avoid it mashing your frame

londoner
    Free Member

OK cheers guys, so the current plan is a Pro 2 Saint/10mm bolt thru hub with either the Superstar or DT alloy 10mm QR, probably go for the Superstar one.

MSP

I have the superstar ones, seem fine, though for the price may as well buy two and have one spare, as its not something you can get in most shops. Although not something that would be easy to break.

londoner
    Free Member

Yea your right, for the price of the DT thru axle I could probably get 5 of the Superstar ones and the only place I can find that sell them are Superstar components themselves, so would be worth while having a spare 😉

Thanks again for all your help mate, I can now finally have a bike without those skinny QR skewers lol

A link to some pics of the build so far, this is my second Chammy build but my last was a bit of a mismatch of parts of parts from my old Enduro and other parts. This time almost all is new with the exception of the frame which is almost as new with an as new King headset.

http://s703.photobucket.com/albums/ww35/fourtwenty2009/2011%20-%20chameleon%20build/

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘10mm bolt up rear hub on a Chameleon??’ is closed to new replies.