Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • 10k run – nutrition advice required
  • topangarider
    Free Member

Got a 10k run next sunday and nover before been one for looking into nutrition – but can someone break down for what I should be doing the night before, morning of the run and after?

Thinking of pasta on sat night (no booze!), porridge for breakfast with a banana, an energy drink and water sipped throughout the morning up to the start of the race, then some sort of protein drink after (maybe just milk).

What d'you reckon?

Cheers

beej

For a 10K run I really wouldn't bother with anything special. Just have normal food, don't drink too much the night before. You'll have enough stored glycogen for an hour easily.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You shouldn't really need to worry too much about a 10k. Depending on what time you're starting off, yes, by all means a pasta dish the evening before, coffee and cereal in the morning, stay gently hydrated, last drink at least 30-40 mins before the run.

More important is that you warm up properly before the race. 10k is a race where you can really go for it, but burn out quickly over the first three kilometres if you don't warm up.

Chocolate milk after should sort you out. Best of luck.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Nothing special needed. If you are even halfway fit you'll only be running for an hour max.

topangarider
    Free Member

looking to do it in about 47mins if training is anything to go by.

Cheers for the advice guys. I'm tempted to go for it a bit more agressively than normal, but don't want to burn out.

Hopefully it'll work!

monkeychild
    Free Member

47 mins is easily doable. I did last years Manc 10K in 49mins that was having to slow to a snails pace for a part of it due to my stomach cramping up (drinking an isotonic drink beforehand was an idotic move on my half) I am no racing snake by any means 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

10K? Just do whatever you normally do of a weekend.

monkeychild
    Free Member

10K? Just do whatever you normally do of a weekend.

Go out for a bike ride, drink and copulate???

keavo
    Free Member

just eat and drink as normal, have a bit extra of something if you like but theres no need to really load up. if you cut out/down the training the day or two before your body will be loaded with enough energy to run that distance.

Jamie
    Free Member

Go out for a bike ride, drink and copulate???

Bonus points for all at the same time.

topangarider
    Free Member

The km's are marked, so should I target a time per km – say 4 1/2 mins to keep on track? Or go harder then ease off or vice varsa? I normally speed up the last couple of k cos then it's easy to judge, but obviously too late if there's some left in the tank.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sort of tempted to advise as Jamie did, but I remember my first 10k and how nervous I felt the week before. Can all the Haile Gebrselassies go easy please.

EDIT: Pick a target time and try to run each k in that time/10. Don't worry about loads of people flying off at the beginning. You'll catch them all around halfway. The first k might be a bit slow if you get caught in "traffic". Just make up for it in ks 2 to 5 if that happens.

djglover
    Free Member

I taper more than most recommend, and carb load in the days before the race, pasta, brown rice and porridge for every meal. Always had a good race that way.

fubar
    Free Member

as above…don't eat / drink anything you haven't ate before running in the past….having the bottom squirts on a run isn't fun and doesn't make you attractive to the opposite sex.

theotherjonv

not done many 10k's but did a few half marathons in my younger days. Here's my strategy:

Start off at a relatively relaxed pace – something you know you can do/close to your target time – until at least halfway. The warriors that go off too fast will soon be being crushed beneath your feet and that gives you a boost anyway. Eeven if you feel great, resist the temptation to up the pace too soon. At half way re-evaluate your split vs your target and adjust accordingly based on where you are and how you feel. But resist temptation to go mad even if you feel good and have time to make up. Aim to make a bit back over the 3rd quarter without going to hard; you can't set a PB at this point but you can screw yourself up.

My strategy was always to get to the 4th quarter (10 miles for me, 7-8K market for you) close to target and with enough in reserve that at this point you can really start to push hard. It'll soon be over, that gives a lift, you'll be passing dozens of others which gives you a lift, and you can take the pain for 10 more minutes at that point.

Nutrition for 10K? TBH just eat well the night before, and you shouldn't need any more than natural reserves for events under 2 hours.

iDave
    Free Member

carb loading adds weight to muscle in the form of water. it's really not necessary for a 10k.

theboatman
    Free Member

porterclough
    Free Member

Don't have a Chicken Jalfrezi the night before.

topangarider
    Free Member

Cheers guys – hope it all works. Will let you know.

IanMunro
    Free Member

My technique is to go flat out for the first 1km, then collapse in a sweaty mess. Granted it may not be the most effective strategy out there 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Mine was pizza and one beer the night before, and a very light breakfast on the morning.
    Plenty of stretching and a little hydration avoiding bloating.
    I swear I went better over the 10 on slightly empty.

Jamie
    Free Member

IanMunro – Member
    My technique is to go flat out for the first 1km, then collapse in a sweaty mess. Granted it may not be the most effective strategy out there

That is my usual technique. Start off like a rocket then hang on for grim death….if i end the race with my breakfast intact then i count it as a success :mrgreen:

willard

Don't do what I did and have most of a bottle of red, smoke half a pack of cigarettes and then get a crap night's sleep.

Luckily I have avoided doing the bulk of that this time, as last night I did not have anything to drink and manged to get a better night's sleep. Hopefully the 10k I have at lunchtime for sport relief will just fly by (in about 45 minutes), but I doubt it given how shit I feel right now.

With any luck I'll be feeling better by the time I have to run another one an April 11th.

PenrodPooch
    Free Member

White Fish. I had fish on Saturday and did one of the best training runs of the year the day after, just felt great. Managed 12KM in 53 mins pushing 2 kids in the Croozer!

monkfish
    Free Member

There is a tendancy to go off like an idiot trying to keep up with all the whippets which normally ends with the last half being a struggle.

Stick to your 8 minute miles and if you have a bit left save it for the last couple of k.

Haze

Evening meal – Chicken with green peppers in black bean sauce, egg fried rice. Crispy duck starter (optional)

Breakfast – Scrambled egg on toast.

Keva
    Free Member

nothing any different from what I'd usually eat. Good healthy meal the night before, in fact thinking about it, if the run is in the morning I'd probably eat slightly less for breaksfast. Bowl of museli and skip the toast.

Afterwards I'd drink several pints of cider.

marcus
    Free Member

If your not too bothered about your time or usuing the event as the means to an end – do what you want.

Otherwise, Illd go with pasta based the night before – not too late so you have time to digest before bed. Light breakfast in the morning to prevent stomach ache (couple of weetabix and bannana work for me). Energy gel about 30mins before start and plenty of fluid.

steve-g
    Free Member

For a 10k I wouldn't worry about loading up before hand but if you feel the need I found having a big wholewheat (wholegrain whatever its called) pasta based lunch the day before then a resonably light evening meal gives me the energy I need. A massive evening meal means I don't sleep as well as I should, and on race day you will be visiting the toilet more than usual anyway, why give yourself an extra KG of pasta ammo to deal with.

In the morning, a couple of slices of brown toast and a pint or two of water 2 or 3 hours before the run. Job Done

whyter

Fish supper the night before. Rocket fuel.

willard

Well, I can report that a bowl of porridge in the morning, then a mars bar and a pint of water an hour before makes a 10k go in about 50 minutes. Well, it did at lunchtime in any case.

I was chatting to a mate most of the way round though, so it wasn't 100% serious, and I should be able to get down to sub-45 before the one I'm running in April.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

You`ll b e fine just eating a normal healthy balanced diet,and having a light snack before you start.

I did 6 miles for Sportrelief yesterday,first time I have run more than 4 miles,since I ran cross country at school 25 years ago.

Pleasantly surpised to finish in 42 mins.My strategy was to take it easy for the first mile,and get my breathing under control and then run behind the fit bird with the nice arse for the remaining 5…

willard

Damn you!

I would have tried that tactic, but all the totty was in the slower pack a fair way behind me.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘10k run – nutrition advice required’ is closed to new replies.