Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • 105 shifter rant
  • stumpyjon

Ok, not a rant as I’ll have to use capitals appropriately and punctuation but I’m not happy. Just managed to bust my 105 5600 left hand shifter, part of the release mechanism snapped inside the hood. I didn’t expect to get a like for like replacement but it would appear the 5700 shifters are clearance items and no one has them in stock except Merlin who are £40 more than Evans or CRC who claim to have stock coming early August.

Looking into biting the bullet and upgrading to 5800 11 speed requires a new chain, cassette, mech and wheel. Probably set me back way over £300. I suppose the saving grace was it bust as I was about to leave and not half way through my ride. Now got a dead bike, a wait to see if things come into stock and the hassle of replacing the shifters having only recently replaced the bar tape.

simondbarnes

If it helps, just re-use the old shifter clamp – no need to re-tape the bars.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Tiagra? Very nice these days.

simondbarnes

Tiagra? Very nice these days.

Would require a new rear mech but yes, a good option

stumpyjon

Evans have Dura Ace 7900 shifters in stock for £164, might be an option.

Why new mechanism with Tiagra?

simondbarnes

Because the new stuff (4700) uses the same actuation as the 11 speed stuff.

codybrennan
    Free Member

simondbarnes – Member – Block User – Quote
    Because the new stuff (4700) uses the same actuation as the 11 speed stuff.

Didn’t know that- cheers.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got an unused Dura Ace 7800 one if of interest? Obviously they wouldn’t match, but I had to replace a RH one, never needed the spare LH one.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Tiagra 4600.?

stumpyjon

Cheers Simon, useful info. Njee20, tempting but it will look really odd, the 105 5600 shifters have the shift cable exiting at 90 degrees from the hood, not down the bars as the newer shifters do.

njee20
    Free Member

Nope, it’s the ‘matching’ Dura Ace one, 7900 was the DA groupset with internal cable routing. Don’t mix and match those, the hoods are totally different.

I wouldn’t buy 5700 at all, that entire generation of STIs are horrible IMO.

stumpyjon

Yes, I see now, just googled the cable routing. I’ve sulked so much this evening Mrs Stumpyjon has said just said get the Dura Ace, at least they’re in stock and she’s twigged upgrading to 11 speed will not be cheap.

Still not happy, it’s a 2009 bike, not done that many miles but replacement parts aren’t easy to get, I knew my 10 year old full suss was getting obsolete but thought something ‘as simple’ as a road bike wouldn’t suffer from changes in standards to the same extent, I was wrong.

simondbarnes

Evans have Dura Ace 7900 shifters in stock for £164, might be an option.

Isn’t that just for a LH one?

njee20
    Free Member

I’d have 11 speed 105 over Dura Ace 7900. Probably largely cost neutral once you’ve sold the rest of your bits.

It’s not really obsolete, you just can’t buy the exact shifters you had 8 years ago. that’s like finding you can’t buy an 8 year old rim now. It’s annoying, yes, because it leaves you with a redundant but otherwise functional piece (whereas with broken forks say you don’t mind so much), but there are plenty of compatible bits out there.

Isn’t that just for a LH one

The description says so, but the price is for a pair I’m sure. No Way were they ever £200+ each.

stumpyjon

Simon, yes I just got as far as checking out when that realisation dawned.

njee20 your offer is now sounding very tempting, I’ll send you a message through the forum.

ratherbeintobago

I think I’ve got a set of 5600 shifters in the loft; one of them has a massive scuff on it from the crash that wrote off the bike they were on but I can’t remember which one. If you can wait until the end of the week I can check?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Common problem with the 5600 shifters.

The 5700/6700 shifters also had this problem, plus the shifting was worse due to the cables running under the bar tape.

I’d probably keep an eye on ebay and just get a second hand set, otherwise it’s gonna cost you over £300 for new 105. New Tiagra could be an option though.

Another option would be find some Campagnolo 10 speed Ultrashift levers as these are compatible with Shimano using a Jtech Shiftmate. Plus they rarely break (unlike Shimano), and if they do you can just strip them down and fix them easily.

stumpyjon

Anyone have thoughts on Tiagra 4600 shifters, CRC have pairs in stock for £99, not fussed so The cables running under the bar tape.

Ratherbeintobago, cheers, really want to sort this quickly but not seeing an obvious solution at the moment, if I’m not sorted by Friday I’ll let you know.

Stealth edit: the Tiagra codybrennan very kindly linked to above which I missed.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

4600 is 9 speed i think

EDIT, maybe not

simondbarnes

4600 is 9 speed i think

You think incorrectly

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Wonder if the new 4700 shifters would work with your current mechs? Might be worth getting those if they do.

coatesy
    Free Member

Replacement shifter sub assembly is in stock at Madison, so any bike shop should be able to order one for you, part no 6TH 9804, at £49.99

schmiken

Just had a dig about myself, have a RH 5600 shifter but not a left!

simondbarnes

davidtaylforth – Member
    Wonder if the new 4700 shifters would work with your current mechs? Might be worth getting those if they do.

Would need a new rear mech. Front will work fine.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Replacement shifter sub assembly is in stock at Madison, so any bike shop should be able to order one for you, part no 6TH 9804, at £49.99

That’s a 5700 main lever assembly. There are some complete left hand ST-5601 levers lurking around in Madison’s warehouse but they are £119.99 retail. They aren’t normally available to buy but if you speak to a bike shop they should be able to get one by speaking to telesales. Codes are KST5601LL for black or KST5601LS for silver.

cp

simondbarnes – Member
    davidtaylforth – Member
    Would need a new rear mech. Front will work fine.

no it wont, completely different pull ratio/leverage on the front mech too.

simondbarnes

Incorrect. The mechs look different but they are completely backwards compatible.

cp

I might have a 5600 front/LH shifter in the cellar. I’ll check tonight 🙂

cp

Incorrect. The mechs look different but they are completely backwards compatible.

interesting. there was no way in the world my 5700 front mech was going to play with 4700 shifters, had to get a 4700 front mech – then it all worked easily.

Bez

I suppose the saving grace was it bust as I was about to leave and not half way through my ride.

Meh, I had a similar thing happen to my 5600 (I was running a triple shifter on a double chainset and fat-fingered it) a third of the way into a 200km ride, you just pick a ring and crack on 🙂

I wouldn’t buy 5700 at all, that entire generation of STIs are horrible IMO.

In what way? Been using 5700s for ages (and the equivalent Ultegras), they’ve been fine, certainly no worse in my book than the 5500/5600/4600s I used before. Well worth it for having the cables out of the way of lights/cameras/bar bags if you ask me.

lodger

I have a brand new 5800 left hand STI you can have for what I paid – £50

They are better than the 5700 – the front especially is much smoother. you’d just need a new front mech, £19 on CRC. no need to change anything else if you don’t want to.

I think i have a 5700 RH too if you wanted to remove the washing lines altogether?

address in profile if you are interested.

flange
    Free Member

If you can wait until the weekend, I think I have a set of 5700 shifters you can have. They’re a bit scratched from an off, but I’m pretty much 11 speed across the board now. Yours if you want them

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t arse about trying to replace 10sp 105 stuff, the shifters were all a bit crap after they put the cables under the tape. They wear and go heavy and vague.. New Tiagra is way better than the 105 was. The feel of both shifting and braking is lighter and more accurate, it’s a vast improvement.
    I can’t see the point of lashing out loads of money on an older bike (and potentially having to change the wheels to get an 11sp cassette on) I’d just keep it 10sp.

philjunior
    Free Member

I’m not sure about that – I have Tiagra 4700 which is 10 speed but “11 speed pull ratios”, the front mech design is totally different, I would be very surprised if the pull ratios were similar.

Haze

Looking into biting the bullet and upgrading to 5800 11 speed requires a new chain, cassette, mech and wheel. Probably set me back way over £300

Few options above, but if you decide to go down the 5800 route you’ll have yourself a very nice shifter set.

simon_g

I also broke a 5600 LH shifter last year, seems to be a common thing.

Ended up with a used set of 5700 off ebay for £50 or so, didn’t have the appetite to replace lots of other things with 11-speed.

Given how decent the Sora STIs are on my Escapade, I’d probably be quite happy with 10-sp Tiagra now.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

In what way? Been using 5700s for ages (and the equivalent Ultegras), they’ve been fine

I have 6700 and it is worse than all Shimano’s 11 spd stuff even if you only used 10 of those 11 speeds. The 5700/6700 stuff has a heavy shift action and with fewer gears you’d think it’d have wider tolerances, and yet it is far more fickle to set up and keep working sweetly than 11 speed.

The 6700 is on my carbon pride and joy and is immaculate condition and all the consumables are regularly replaced, but having recently bought a titanium P+J with 6800 on it (and a commuter with 5800) and riding the bikes back to back it’s enough to make me neglect the carbon bike, so the 6700 may well be getting replaced.

simondbarnes

so the 6700 may well be getting replaced.

As it’s so shit would you take £20 for the shifters?

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

😀 thanks, but no. It wasn’t an astroturf and from following FB buy/sell sites 6700 stuff seems to sell for more than I’d expect it to.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘105 shifter rant’ is closed to new replies.