Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • 105 or Ultegra?
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

Rebuilding the summer road bike, so wondering if there is much real world difference?
    Upgrading from Ultegra 6700 from about 5 years ago..
    Basically is it worth the extra £150?
    Oh and 52:36, or 50:34?

jonk
    Free Member

Very little difference IME finish is better on ultegra, jockey wheels are better and shifters have carbon levers. There is no difference in functionality they are both superb and shift like a dream compared to 5700 / 6700. I went for 52:36 and 11:32 cassette for the biggest range.

djglover
    Free Member

Have just upgraded from 2012 Tiagra to 2015 Ultegra, I can’t really notice any functional difference on the gear change. It looks nice though, and weighs less. No way I could tell between 105 and ultegra in a blind test I reckon.

spacemonkey

IME 105 (5800 I think) front shifters require you to make a very positive shift else nothing really happens. Hardly a first world issue. The rest of the kit is banging.

Can’t comment on Ultegra.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Ultegra levers are a much nicer shape (hoods).
    52/36 and 11-32 covers everything.

stevious

I have both. I think ultegra shifts a tiny bit better but I’d probably struggle to justify £150 on it.

As for chainset, it depends on what you’ll use it for and whether you spin or churn. I’ve gone 52:36 on the summer bike as I use it for races. Outside of racing haven’t had much need for bigger gears.

cookeaa

If it’s a daily use workhorse I’d say 105, compact it’s a sturdy group and not that heavy lots of options for changing the cassette and you can always fit bigger rings if you decide you need them (they’re all 110mm BCD now), but how often do you really need to push a bigger ratio than 50-11?

If you feel the bike “deserves” Ultegra; it’s a bit boutique or just a nice posh frames then do it, and be happy, but functionally 105 ticks all the right boxes for a fair chunk less cost, you could always use the drivetrain saving as justification for a posher set of wheels or an Ultegra cassette/chain when the time comes…

TiRed

Go for 52/36. I have Ultegra and Dura ace and there really is no functional difference. Does the 105 front derailleur now have the longer pivot arm?

Either will be a big improvement on 6700, which I also have. Cable routing was never good on 10 speed.

boblo
    Free Member

I have 5800, 6800 and 9000 on different bikes. The DA is not worth 4x and Ultegra is marginal at 2x the price functionally as 5800 is superb.

You’ll buy Ultegra because you want it, not because you need it. It is slightly nicer in a ~5% sort of way. Fir me, 5800 is the bargain of the century when you can get it for about £280.

bensales
    Free Member

Rorschach
    Ultegra levers are a much nicer shape (hoods).

Really? Watch this, and then tell us that again.

[video]http://youtu.be/OPe3gTzPrjg[/video]

xc-steve
    Free Member

I think you should go Ultegra because it looks nicer… and that’s the main thing with road bikes that they look nice!

cloudnine
    Free Member

I went 105 cranks (couldnt get 165mm ultegra at the time) and Ultegra everything else.. Worth shopping around if you have 10% BC discount for Chainreaction and some other bits cheaper at Wiggle / Ribble / Merlin / Probikekit

Worth creating an account at probikekit and leaving some things in your basket. It wont take long before they send you voucher codes.

Dont forget to use Topcashback or quidco

otsdr
    Free Member

There are probably minute differences in the shape, the hoods aren’t the same SKU either.

mooman
    Free Member

I personally would have gone ultegra cranks (prob slightly more weight saving, and looks much better) … and 105 everywhere else.

11sp 105 shifters & mechs on one of my bikes. As others have said – it’s great.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I always upgrade the shifters, it’s the bit you spend most of your time touching and using. Better ones *tend* to last longer. They also *tend* to work better. during their life.

Most of the other parts are simple and straight forward and higher series stuff offers miniscule performance benefits. They are also cheap to replace. So durability isn’t a massive issue.

mrblobby
    Free Member

2012 Tiagra

Shifting on old Tiagra really was good with the ports on the side of the shifters. Much better than 105 of the same era. Think new 105 is meant to be a big improvement but up to 5700 it was a bit rubbish on 105.

52/36 and 11-32 covers everything.

Horridly gappy.

ransos
    Free Member

I switched to 5800 105 from 6700 Ultegra, and it’s way better. In particular, the front shifting and the brakes. My understanding is that functionally, it’s pretty much the same as Ultegra, so the question is really about whether you want to pay the extra for a nicer finish and a small weight saving.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have both. I think ultegra shifts a tiny bit better.

Exactly what I was going to say. 105 shifts great, Ultegra shifts beautifully.

If it’s for a “best” bike then I’d spring for Ultegra personally.

Compact with 11-28 seems to do me in the hilly bits of Lancashire.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

[quote=”mrblobby”]Horridly gappy.[/quote]Might as well have gone for a triple…….

ransos
    Free Member

Might as well have gone for a triple…….

They don’t make one for 105 or Ultegra AFAIK

globalti
    Free Member

Don’t go for 52/36 unless you are very strong and you live somewhere flat. For a recreational cyclist living in a hilly area compact 50/34 is the ideal chainset; my cycling buddy is an extremely strong rider but with Lancashire’s hills he is planning to drop from semi-compact down to compact.

As others have written, the new generation 800 series gears are superb and a massive improvement on 700. The FD looks tricky to set up but is actually straightforward once you’ve got the limit screws set. The new brakes are excellent as well. I paid £360 for Ultegra 6800 gears, brakes and chain/cassette on Wiggle and I’ve just sold the old 6700 bits for £100 on Cycle Chat.

mrblobby
    Free Member

If I really needed that sort of range on a road bike then I’d seriously consider a triple!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

25/12 cassette FTW

TiRed

52/36 and a custom adapted 12-32 will provide all the gears you need. I can climb 25% on 36×28 but I’m light. A 32T will help other riders.

And you really don’t need an 11T unless you are fully compact 50/34. I found the drop onto the 34 to be huge, and consequently seldom used it and it always felt like a bail-out rather than a smooth change. The 36T seems to have improved the shift. And I have raced on a compact often with an 11/23 cassette.

Sundayjumper

Ultegra, it’s only £150.

Unless that £150 is better spent on a wheel upgrade at the same time ?

wilburt
    Free Member

I have put my 12/30(10s) on in advance of a trip to hillier parts and found it quite gappy on the last couple of group rides when its nice to tick between close gears. Also with a compact chainset there isonly half a dozen useable gears around my flat bit of the UK.

52/36 sounds good and 36-30 is only marginally off the 34-30 available from a compact and will fix at least one of those problems.

cheers_drive

I’ve hat Ultegra 6800 on my summer bike for 2 years, mechanically its perfect, the hood ergonomics are the only thing I’m not sure of but that’s down to personal taste.
    I’ve just changed my winter bike to 105 5800 from Sram Rival and I’m not sure I could tell the difference to Ultegra, it’s mainly down to finish a weight.
    The summer bike was on a compact but that’s just been switched to semi compact 52/36 which should suit riding in the Fens more, previously I was often in the overlap ratios between the 2 rings which meant either often using the front shifter or being at the gappier end of the cassette.
    When I lived somewhere with short sharp climbs a compact and 11-26 was fine and I’m a fairly poor and slightly overweight rider.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Cheers all.
    Ultegra it is then.
    Still debating ( in my head) about ratios..

jimc101
    Free Member

There are probably minute differences in the shape, the hoods aren’t the same SKU either.

For the hood question, they are the same, the part (Shimano call this the Bracket Covers) is the same for 4700,5800 & 6800, no EV is avaliable for R3000, but suspect this may be the same as well.

The part number is Y00E98080 for black & Y00E98090 for white

mrblobby
    Free Member

Still debating ( in my head) about ratios..

It’s been said many times before and it’ll no doubt be said many times again. Just get a 50/34 and a 12-25 cassette. 90 rpm in top gives you over 29mph, and lowest gear grinding at 60rpm will give you about 6.5 mph. And you’ll have a nice close ratio cassette so you can be in the right gear most of the time.

If you find the 34 too twiddly, or the jump between rings too big, you can always just swap the 34 for a 36 for not much cash.

simondbarnes

You’re 18** stone of idiot Nick, get some low gears 🙂

**I know you’ve lost loads since that was your favourite saying but low gears are for winners.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

You’re 18** stone of idiot Nick, get some low gears

**I know you’ve lost loads since that was your favourite saying but low gears are for winners.

Haha!!! Yeah, true enough.
    But still an idiot. 😆

simondbarnes

🙂

otsdr
    Free Member

The part number is Y00E98080 for black & Y00E98090 for white

Hm, you are right – I was looking at the 5700 docs :/.

iainc

I had 6700 series Ultegra on my 2012 Defy. When I got current 105 (11 speed) with my 2015 CDF it blew the old Ultegra out of the water on shifting, lever weight and crispness. New Defy has 2016 Ultegra, which feels just the same as the 105. Both are hydraulic brake versions.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Am tempted to update the winter bike as 5700 is a bit rubbish.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Picked up a shiny new Groupset from Merlin today.
    Got the Ultegra, with 50:34, and 11-28.
    It’s really very nice…

But, like a dick I forgot to get tyres, so the build won’t be getting a run out until later.. 😳

ashfanman
    Free Member

I have 105 on my winter bike and Ultegra Di2 on my best bike. Can’t fault either, to be honest.

Ultegra is a bit lighter and looks a bit nicer than 105, and maybe the brakes are a bit better, but the shifting on both is outstanding.

As for 50/34 versus 52/36, you’ll surely have a good idea on what you need based on what you have now? My 105 is 50/34 and 11-32. My Ultegra is 52/36 and 11-28. With the semi-compact Ultegra, I sometimes find that I’m between chainrings on the flat, particularly if it’s really windy, but I actually prefer climbing on it than the full compact 105.

YMMV, of course. Depends on where you normally ride, your weight, riding style, etc. I guess if you’re unsure, go for 50/34 – better to be spinning out on fast descents than running out of gears up steep climbs…

EDIT: Seems I was a bit too late! 😀
    50/34 and 11-28 sounds perfect. You going to be able to get tyres in time for a bank holiday shakedown?

bensales
    Free Member

mrblobby
    Am tempted to update the winter bike as 5700 is a bit rubbish.

Oh, that sounds familiar! And this is why I found the video of the similarities between 105 and Ultegra shifters…

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/scope-creep

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I have 5800 on my nice bike and my winter bike. The only fault I could pick is that the anodising on the levers is starting g to wear after around 10000 miles of use. Other than that 105 is all you will ever need. I would love DA but in reality I wouldn’t gain a single second by fitting it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘105 or Ultegra?’ is closed to new replies.