Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 105 or Apex
  • scratch
    Free Member

Much difference? Or is it just preference of shifter function?

mrmo
    Free Member

i would choose Veloce, but yes, basically pick the shifters you like.

mboy
    Free Member

105 will keep on working for a loooing time, and feel sweet in doing so.

Apex will likely break just outside of warranty, causing the (very) expensive STI’s to need replacing.

Shimano feels a lot nicer, is more reliable, is cheaper to replace if anything goes wrong, and erm… Well!

Campag is also very nice to use if you can get used to the shift lever positions, though spares are more expensive too.

scratch
    Free Member

I’ve always been Shimano on everything* and have Ultegra on the race bike, the groupo choice is for the training/commute bike so I guess it makes sense to be reaching for the same style of shifter.

Just woundered if there were any advantages I’d missed

*Apart from an ill advised foray into Sachs Wavey Twistshift back in the day.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Apex is Ment as a wide range sportife group
    But everything seems to be going that way now
    For fit and forget I’d spend my money on shimano
    For the commuter / trainer

But my heart and nice bike says campy rules

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

borrowed a road bike for my first foray into road riding in 20 years. Fully kitted with Veloce. Almost put me off road riding completely, I’ve never ridden such poor gears (and this bike was owned and maintained by a total campy snob), shagged mud-filled alivio would have performed better.
    Subsequently bought a bike with 105 and it is a joy to use, and I’m struggling to spot differences with Ultegra beyond cosmetic finish.

Apex seems to be used at a slightly lower price point; have been idly tyre kicking the idea of a discounted Cannondale Supersix and the Apex is ~£150 less than the 105 (they have different wheels but I’m assuming C’dale are being consistent with spec level, the 105 comes with Aksiums which are more significantly more expensive than the R501s on the Apex).

MrGreedy

I have both Ultegra and Apex (on road bike and CX/winter hack respectively). Apex shifting works, but it feels very agricultural in comparison to Ultegra, or indeed to the Tiagra on my brother’s bike. The shape of the hoods and the double-tap shifting method are matters of taste I guess, but in both cases I strongly prefer the Shimano alternative.

All things being equal, an Apex bike would have to be a lot cheaper than a Shimano one for me to consider it. On the upside, it’s needed sod-all maintenance, but then so has the Shimano.

njee20
    Free Member

I prefer Shimano, but a lot of people like the Double Taps, it’s not really a case of better/worse. SRAM is significantly lighter than Shimano for a start.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Apex is a compairable step down from 105 so definetly 105. The Sram 105 equivelent is Rival.

I have Rival on my cx bike and although it works well enough it is very clunky and agricultural. I also have Veloce and Ultrgra and would choose them over Sram every time.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’d go 105 personally but I’ve only had Shimano on the road bikes so have no real comparison. That said, I’ve never had an issue so wouldn’t change.

pixelmix
    Free Member

What size of cassette will you be using now or in the future? I use Apex and Rival on the CX bike so I can use an 11-32 cassette.

I don’t mind the shifters but all else being equal, I would probably go 105 if I had an option, as the double tap is occasionally a pain, particularly when I have cold, wet, muddy hands. I think a Rival groupset is lighter than 105, but although the Apex groupset isn’t much heavier than Rival, I suspect it is a little heavier than 105?

turtleheading
    Free Member

I went with Apex when i built my bike up. Got the whole groupset for £312 odd off merlin i think it was. If i was doing it again, I would keep everything SRAM apart from the rear shifter/derailer combo. I have an old 105 on my commuter bike, and the shifting seems alot more solid and robust.
    That said, I think the Apex system is around 700g lighter than the 105 and significantly cheaper.

Wait for the sales to kick in, I think thats what I did, and got myself an unreal deal!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘105 or Apex’ is closed to new replies.