Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 105 mech / cassette – any 10 sp chain compatible?
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Quick Q about chains and stuff.

Having stuffed my 105 rear mech into the wheel on Sunday, while negotiating tonnes of Chilterns’ mud on the cyclocross bike – I need to replace my 105 10 sp rear mech and – cassette and chain, because single-speeding the chain to get home has completely ruined it. Quite a costly afternoon.. 😐

105 10 sp chains seem like hens’ teeth – and as expensive as the cassette!

Are there any other options for me? Surely any old 10 sp chain will do..? Err.. 😕

Also – I’m running a 12-27 block with a compact double chainset – do I need a replace with a long/medium/short cage 105 rear mech?

Bez

Yes, any 10sp chain is absolutely fine, I’ve used KMC, Wipperman and SRAM chains. A short cage mech will will work fine with 12-27 and a double (as will they all).

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Cheers! 🙂

hopkinsgm

Any 10spd chain should work fine – I personally avoid Shimano chains as I’m not a big fan of the single use jointing pin. Oh, and if you’ve stuffed a rear mech into your wheel, I’d also be checking spokes for damage, and making sure that the mech hanger is straight.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Yep – mech hanger’s borked as well! 🙄

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘105 mech / cassette – any 10 sp chain compatible?’ is closed to new replies.