Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • 101 uses for an old inner tube: show me your creative bike solutions.
  • muddyground
    Free Member

On my bike mud used to collect on the little fabricated ‘A’ link between the chain stays. It just annoyed me, so I came up with this little Blue Peter’esque solution. It’s not perfect, and I realise that in fabricating mudguards I’m just one step away from having a dog in a whicker basket, but it keeps me happy. More importantly, although looking a bit sad, it did the job I wanted it to do.

muddyground
    Free Member
    cynic-al
    Free Member

1. You can edit the original post.

2. Does that not clog anyway?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Front fork guard on my Swift

Sling for my broken arm! Adjust the length with a zip tie crimping it behind your neck is far more comfortable than someone shaking it arround trying to tie a knot!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Used as a shield for the rear shock on the wife’s stumpy fsr as the shock is in line of all the back wheel spray.

muddyground
    Free Member

Hi Cynic-al – I tried a few times, but it didn’t want to play ball. Perhaps I was too quick between uploading to Flickr and then here? Dunno.

So far it hasn’t clogged up in 6 months, and things have been pretty bad here in Surrey of late. Indeed it clags less than if it wasn’t there…. er, apologies for poor use of english there. Being rubber it bounces around a lot, and I think this dislodges cack.

I’d fill in the void (??) but that’d be going too far.

cp

old road innertubes wrapped round the RH chainstay to protect against paint chipping and the noise of chain slap.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Not one the bike, but I’ve used an inner tube to seal gaps in a fireplace in my house. Pushed it in deflated, then once in place pumped it up a bit and it sealed everything nicely. Worked a treat.

Recently checked it and it was still working, holding pressure, 18 months after installation. Should see me through till I can be arsed to actually fix the problem.

Works better than my chimney balloon which keeps deflating.

Sparky77
    Free Member

Also not one on the bike, but broke a binding whilst snowboarding, managed to use a inner tube section to replace the broken section to board the whole way back down the mountain to get a replacement 😀

alpin
    Free Member

you take inner tubes with you when snowboarding?

stever
    Free Member

I’ve got one of these in my back pocket on road rides:
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/99326362/recycled-bike-inner-tube-piccolo-pouch

budgierider67

Like many divers, I have inner tube loops all over my kit keeping it streamlined and in place.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Needed to do a wheel end cap change and didn’t have two of the right sized cone spanner. Used an inner tube as a gripper to hold one end while I undid the other. Was quite pleased with my last minute ingenuity given it spared me an LBS visit.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Blargh double.

avdave2

They use them at the Eden Project along with poles to do pioneering stuff in the kids area. I did let my kids help a little bit.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Not very impressive but they are ideal for shimming crud guards to fit slim seatposts.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Wedged a piece of innertube between one of the mounts for the undertray on my van and the chassis to stop the squeeking that had driven me mad for a year until I figured out what it was. 8)

chives
    Free Member

Another crudguard fix – this time for worn bracket / guard interface. 2012-05-08 13.15.36 by Uncle Monk, on Flickr[/img]

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Gamut chain rollers are noisy as standard. A piece of roadie inner tube glued on to the roller makes it silent.

dantsw13

As I am too tight to buy a Neoguard, I made this!!

[/url] Untitled by danthomassw13, on Flickr[/img]

Works a treat – one old tube makes about 4!!

muddyground
    Free Member

As I am too tight to buy a Neoguard, I made this!!

– but you ride a Santa Cruz!

Seems to be quite a bit of creativity out there.

dantsw13

Yes, but I ride a Santa Cruz frame I bought for £300 with a DHX5 coil shock :-))

dantsw13

I’m also considering extending the inner tube across to the downtube

meehaja
    Free Member

No pictures I’m afraid, but used road inner tube to “insulate” some torches to make them waterprrof enough for night riding then used some MTB inner tube for mounting them to the bars.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

No pics, but I do find them handy for undoing stubborn jam jar lids. Wrap, twist and off

Sparky77
    Free Member

you take inner tubes with you when snowboarding?

Just had it in my bag from cycling, cable ties wouldn’t work as they just became too brittle with the cold and kept on snapping after 100m’s of riding!!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘101 uses for an old inner tube: show me your creative bike solutions.’ is closed to new replies.