Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 100mm fork on 120mm frame??
  • jf2115
    Free Member

Thinking of putting my existing 100 mm fork on a new frame with 120mm travel.

I’m on 100 mm hardtail at the moment. Hard rock built as a single speed with upgraded wheels etc. Looking at Commencal Meta SL build on a low budget.

I would aim to put a bigger fork on when budget allows

Riding rocky trails at present on what I have and planning to try some gravity enduro.

Is this a ridiculous plan? Would the geometry be arseways? Don’t suggest I spend more money I don’t have it!

Thanks guys any insight would be welcome

Dickyboy

If it don’t cost you any money then you could just try it, but in my limited experience (150mm hardtail frame with a 120mm fork) it wasn’t something I would wish to repeat

toppers3933
    Free Member

What existing fork?

wilko1999
    Free Member

Sounds nasty in my opinion! Can you convert your existing forks to 120?

rocketman
    Free Member

My trusty Ramones has a 100-140 U-turn Pike on a frame optimised for 120 mm

In 100 mm mode it is pure evil on all but the mildest terrain. Great for climbing awful everywhere else. 120 mm is a great all-day setting but the 140 mm setting is tolerable going uphill and rag-tastic everywhere else

If I had to choose it would be 140 over 100 any day

jf2115
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies all. It’s a Rockshox xc32 air (not sure of the full name)

wilko1999
    Free Member
    jf2115
    Free Member

Wilko1999 thanks for that.

I will look into getting the fork up to 120mm. My wife got me a present of a pair of nice handmade 26er wheels (9mm QR) and I am keen to keep them in the build

Cheers man

jf2115
    Free Member

Just realised the 2013 Commencal Meta SL is tapered head tube and my fork ain’t. Also, by the time I put all the bits on the €600 Commie frame, I’d have the price of one of their complete bikes on sale

I am going to suck it up for this season and stay on what I have. I have new wheels and a new SS drivetrain to enjoy.

I’m only recently on STW and impressed with the speed of response and knowledge. Cheers

nigew
    Free Member

Just realised the 2013 Commencal Meta SL is tapered head tube and my fork ain’t

You can still use your existing forks by buying a new lower headset cup, have a look at Hope Mix and Match

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘100mm fork on 120mm frame??’ is closed to new replies.