Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • £100k – I would…
  • swoosh
    Free Member

We were talking in our office the other day about what you would do if you won £100k on the lottery. Obviously this isn’t a jackpot winning amount of money so no cruise ships for us. I said I’d pay off the mortgage but my colleagues called me silly. I argued that if I didn’t pay £400 per month on my mortgage it would allow me to do more with the money I earn than keeping that money and spending a lot on a really nice car or extension to the house or whatever. And by that token it woukd be life changing.

What would you do with your £100k?

To be clear, this is all hypothetical, I haven’t even won £10 on the lottery!!

anagallis_arvensis

8k on a motorbike (CCM GP450 since you asked)
    10k tucked away for a rainy rest of the mortgage

jam-bo

Pay the mortgage off and drop to a 3 day week.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

I think you’re bang on, pay off the mortgage, breathe a massive sigh of relief and feel the stress leave your body. Then as you say enjoy the extra £400 a month you find yourself with!
    Me? I’d buy another flat to rent out, one step closer to retirement!

mtbfix

Sell the house and go mortgage free elsewhere in the country with the combined funds.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Coke
    Hookers

br
    Free Member

Even in my 50’s and with good pension provisions it’s not really enough to give up work, so I’d spunk it on a new car and a couple of holidays with the rest.

km79
    Free Member

Retire.

martymac

That amount would almost pay off our mortgage, leaving us with 14k to pay and no other debts.
    The rest of our life would be a lot easier as a result.

edhornby

It depends on the performance of your investment compared to the current mortgage rate you’re on at the moment but at the moment there are investment returns that are beating a mortgage especially as the BoE base rate isn’t going anywhere at the moment

But it depends on your circumstances and your attitude to risk. Personally I would throw it at the mortgage with some set aside for improvements to the house but that’s because i have 2 small kids and a hefty mortgage. If you have no pension then you should stick all of it into a sipp

Dickyboy

In laws are selling their place in corsica for that sort of money, so buy that… or more likely pay down remaining mortgage & invest in pension 🙁

5thElefant
    Free Member

Fireworks.

singletrackmind

Buy another BTL and resign .
    Then do consultancy work within my feild maybe 1 or 2 days a week.
    Im not greedy and dont need alot cash to live on.

Cletus

Use as a deposit for a couple of Buy to Lets. If there were other decent investment options I would look at those but have not had much luck with the stock market

hammyuk
    Free Member

Clear whats left of the mortgage here so the kids are clear in that house and then buy another place in france and still have change to renovate it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d buy a Binners of my very own.

tjagain

I’d retire the next day. thats nearly as much as I would earn between now and my retirement

hammyuk
    Free Member

CFH – too high maintenance and prone to breaking down.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I really haven’t a clue, I’m sure it’s enough to do something really life changing with that but other than spending a few years re-training I don’t know what.

Boringly pay off a bit of debt we’ve got, stick the rest on mortgage.

No lavish holidays for flash cars for me. It would be nice to reduce our outgoings whilst young Miss Jay is still burning through £900 a month in childcare.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’d add it to my other savings .

Rent out the gaff

And head east on my bike.

swoosh
    Free Member

Would you worry about not having money left over to pay for the kids to go to uni? Or would you just save the extra each month to pay for it?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wouldn’t pay off the mortgage by a long shot, but would make a £400/month dent in it, so yea, that.

Although I’d probably split it between that at paying people to finish off renovating our house (kitchen, bathroom, hallway, new en-suite, 2x bedrooms still to go!). Otherwise I’d have money but still spend every weekend working on the sodding house!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

hammyuk – Member
    CFH – too high maintenance and prone to breaking down.

Always the way with older classics.

freeagent
    Free Member

with a £250k mortgage and fairly sizeable monthly childcare bills it won’t be enough to retire on.
    We’ve got a few other debts hanging around from our house extension, so I’d clear those, get a decent bit invested to cover future school trips + nasty surprises.
    This should leave me about £12k to spend on a Nissan Patrol/Toyota Landcruiser so I can take the family on a few adventures.

MoreCashThanDash

Pay off the mortgage, and then go 4 days a week.

chakaping
    Free Member

Holiday, mortgage, pension. In that order.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Stick it all on black
    No…red.

carlosg
    Free Member

Pay off the mortgage AKA ‘bank of mum’ the rest would go into the nice holidays till it ran out fund.

hammerite
    Free Member

choppersquad – Member
    Stick it all on black
    No…red.

If you’re indecisive why not stick £50k on red the rest on black. What could go wrong…

hammerite
    Free Member

I’d hand in my notice. Buy the place in Austria we’ve been looking for for the past 18 months. Then the OH and I would do ski seasons without working every winter. Sept-Dec and Apr-July I’d do supply teaching to beef up my winter funds. All summer hols in the mountains with the bikes too.

choppersquad
    Free Member

With my luck it would land on zero.

breadcrumb

I’d pay a big chunk off the mortgage with say £75000. Nice family holiday, maybe a newish car and bank rest.

Oh and a new bike.

mudshark
    Free Member

Mostly invest it but use some to get the house tarted up a bit.

slowoldman

Well the mortgage is paid off so the smart move would be to stick it in the pension pot. However since I have only a couple of years or so to retirement I reckon I would say “sod it, pack it in now”. To be honest I’ve had enough, compounded by the security gods blacklisting forums at work (including this one).

dannybgoode

Didn’t we do this a few months ago?

Deposit towards a better house and helicopter lessons…

ourmaninthenorth

It might help resolve questions of my daughter’s schooling….

ferrals
    Free Member

Half in mortgage, new car, new bike, holiday and leftovers in a rainy day fund

fifeandy
    Free Member

Sell house and add to the £100k to buy a bigger place outright.

Or

Pay off mortgage, do some home improvements and ask for reduced hrs at work.

tomhoward

£50k on an £80k btl flat that pays for itself with a small profit (even after mortgage payments etc)

‘Hello, Santa Cruz? Yes, three please.” Among others.

Luxurious holidays in whistler

Plenty of booze

Nice clothes

Treat family and friends.

Is what I did when I inherited a similar amount. Still got the Santa Cruzes, the flat and the clothes…

irc

What I did when I got a lump sum slightly over 100k was to pay off the last 18K of the mortgage leaving no other debts. Kept a few thousand in cash and invested the rest. Went on an 11 week bike tour. Went from full time work to part time. Kept driving my 7yr old Mondeo.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘£100k – I would…’ is closed to new replies.