Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • £1000ish Cyclocross Bike – Inspire Me
  • tomd
    Free Member

I’m contemplating breaking the n+1 rule and selling my road bike and replacing it with a cross bike. I reckon it would be fine for the roadying I do and I’d be able to use it for CX and other riding.

Anyway, does anyone have any have any recommendations for a bike around the £1k mark? If I see anything I like the look of it might just make me do it.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve a Ridley crossbow, which I use for both road and cross duties, 3 years old now and I still love riding it. If you’re the Tom I think you are, you’re more than welcome to borrow it!.

Greg.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

2nd hand for £800ish and a spare pair of wheels so you dont have to keep swapping tyres for road duties.

tomd
    Free Member

Yeah I’m that one. This? Ridley Xbow Looks nice

DT78
    Free Member

halford boardmans cx worth a look

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

These all tick the boxes.
    If using for road and cx duties, gearing is a bit of an issue. Road compact is a bit off for cx racing (i always found myself at the top end of inner ring or bottom end of big ring).
    CX gearing doesn’t really go high or low enough for regular road use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dolan-Cyclo-Cross-Bike-Sram-Rival-/130891943563?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item1e79c48e8b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/merida-cyclo-cross-4-55cm-disc-bike-alloy-frame-carbon-fork-shimano-105-2013-/160998076259?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item257c3baf63

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Forme-calver-X-pro-cyclo-cross-bike-52cm-54cm-56cm-58cm-alloy-frame-carbon-fork-/170972097143?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item27cebb2a77

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What about a genesis? Sprockets in Kilmarnock had some real nice genesis cx bikes in, and a day one alfine going cheap too.

lunge

The Decathlon one. £800 gets you full 105, Mavic wheels, alu frame and a carbon fork. The finishing kit is all own brand stuff so you still have £200 left to upgrade if you so desire. Astonishing value in my eyes.

Clover

Get discs! They make sense. They can actually stop the bike. And you will wear out rims with cantis if you do anything gritty.

Genesis Vapour / On One Dirty Disco?

mattythemod
    Free Member

In the same boat so to speak and have been humming over a Kinesis Crosslight 5t which does not have disc mounts but does have mudguard eyes which is a bonus for me the other choice is a Cotic X , has disc mounts, mudguard eyes etc etc but some reviews have doubted the steering and the quality of the fork .

sv

Pinnacle arkose

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Merida is a classy bike know few people with them.great spec.

plastic_scotsman
    Free Member

Go to Halfords and have a look at the Boardman. I have one on a cycle to work scheme and it has been superb.

MoreCashThanDash

Next week I will be taking delivery of a Pinnacle Arkrose 3 – 105, carbon fork, BB7s, rack and guard mounts.

Coincidental that C2W arrived in time for my birthday 8)

sv

Next week I will be taking delivery of a Pinnacle Arkrose 3 – 105, carbon fork, BB7s, rack and guard mounts.

Really like mine, C2W also.

ianfitz
    Free Member

If you can stretch budget a bit look at the on one dirty disco.

Pauly

Eastway CX2

Little bit over budget but lifetime guarantee is nice. Also it’s compact 50/34 gearing so suits the riding you’ll do.

samuri
    Free Member

Here’s my recommendation.
    Well over a year of hard core commuting, rides up in the pennines and general toughing it up in the nasties.

I break stuff all the time and this thing has kept going through all sorts with me. All I’ve done is replaced the BB bearings. It’s light, fast and strong. Brilliant!
    http://www.cannondale.com/gbr/2013/bikes/road/cyclocross/caadx/caadx-105-compact-crankset

eskay

Kenesis cross light 5t.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘£1000ish Cyclocross Bike – Inspire Me’ is closed to new replies.