Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • £1,000.00 to invest today – WWYD? (Hypothetical)
  • BillMC

Look for funds (HL have a list of their favourites). I find them boring and slow but I do research where they invest to contrast/compare with my own thinking. I don’t like the risk of money not making money so I tend to be more interested in AIM and the 250, risky but can be rewarding.
    IANASB

beej

Fill up an ISA with low risk funds this year, put the other half in some other low risk funds until you can shift it to an ISA year after.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Go to betfair and lay odds that Boris will not be leader.

Long shot for a small sum lay odds that Trump will not be republican candidate. Some say he will withdraw before convention and allow a step in candidate at convention

footflaps

Fill up an ISA with low risk funds this year, put the other half in some other low risk funds until you can shift it to an ISA year after.

If you don’t mind waiting till you’re 55, use your SIPP allocation and get the tax back from HM Revenue, then put the rest in an ISA.

epicyclo

Buy food that can be stored for a year or so.

Then if it all goes tits up you won’t need a wheelbarrow to carry the price of a loaf of bread.

If it doesn’t go tits up, then you can eat it.

deadkenny
    Free Member

jekkyl – Member
    premium bonds.

Need a lot more than that to stand more of a chance of a decent return with premium bonds, i.e. the maximum (£50k), and even then you could still end up never winning anything.

No risk though and an incredibly slim chance you might win big, but you stand more chance spending £1 each week on the lottery for the next 1000 days.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds

£1k isn’t much to invest to get any kind of reasonable return without taking a big risk.

However, chuck it at your mortgage and reduce the term slightly and it’s a help. More so if you’re a fair way into the term anyway. Not a great deal on it’s own. Regular overpayments make massive savings though and can be worth far more by reducing debt faster than agreed than the return on actual savings.

Personally I’d invest it on bike parts though. Or as already mentioned, Lego would be worth it too 😀

grantway
    Free Member

Buy another place in Spain, it’s not enough to dab in money markets

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

100% matched betting.

If you have no betting accounts, a little mathematical ability, it’s fairly easy to triple that in a few months.

Don’t get me wrong you won’t have any accounts left after that but easy money if you aren’t a complete numpty.

BillMC

and do’t overlook Sound Energy (SOU), do your own reading. It’s keeping me awake at night.

trail_rat
    Free Member

stoner will be laughing with his 1000 pound investment right now…..its worth 1250 right now i believe.

meanwhile i got 25 quid each of the last 4 months from premium bonds.

Teapot
    Free Member

Trolley tokens

andyrm
    Free Member

Amazon FBA. All day long. Sell on Amazon.com rather than .co.uk as a much bigger market and more aggressive growth curve for sales, plus more advanced affiliate advertising for products.

Essentially if you make good choices, you should be able to very rapidly turn that £1000 initial investment into a rolling £1000/mth net profit within 6 months, pretty passively.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Essentially if you make good choices, you should be able to very rapidly turn that £1000 initial investment into a rolling £1000/mth net profit within 6 months, pretty passively.

Wow. Mine’s a cobra please.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Curious

how does one sell on amazon passively ?

My idea of passively being i hand my money to a.nother passive fund and they grow it via their investment in the stock market and take a cut for the pleasure….

ctk
    Free Member

Santander 1,2,3 accounts are going from 3% to 1.5% in November. I’m not sure where to go with my cash. I’m pretty cautious but interest rates are so low I’m thinking stocks and shares Isa? Who with? Anything else?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Fox factory 36s

Gary_M
    Free Member

Whilst we’re on the subject of investments, what average growth rate are people basing their future incomes from investment on? I’m doing some calculations at the moment for retirement financial planning in just under 6 years.

I’ve based the calcs on a conservative 4%, but is 7% a more realistic long term ‘stock market’ growth? Although I have done the calculations based on 1% up to 15% just to cover all the bases 🙂

sneakyg4
    Free Member

I would step away from traditional investment instruments at the moment.

Vintage watches? I have doubled up on a certain brand in the last 2 years.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Santander 1,2,3 accounts are going from 3% to 1.5% in November. I’m not sure where to go with my cash. I’m pretty cautious but interest rates are so low I’m thinking stocks and shares Isa? Who with? Anything else?

You highlight two conundrums nicely (1) for Santander and (2) for everyone

123 has been a phenomenal success but SAN now in a pickle over what next and what will be their growth driver – hmmm

In this wonderful world of free market capitalism (sic) the powers that be are deliberately forcing us to make the wrong investment decisions. They are deliberately mis-pricing safe investments at a time when the risk involved in alternatives is also no longer properly priced. So flooding markets with liquidity at a time of ultra low returns – sound familiar.

Its an economic shambles

andyrm
    Free Member

Curious

how does one sell on amazon passively ?

The whole idea of the Amazon FBA system is that you never have to touch stock. The nearest you come to stock is checking samples from your supplier before placing the order (which is then delivered into Amazon distribution centre, where they do everything for a 25% cut of sale). You get an alert when stocks are getting low, and arrange another order for delivery in. Payment from Amazon to you is every 14 days. Job done.

surfer
    Free Member

I estimate 8% growth for my calcs although I have done significantly better over the last 3 yrs (20%+)

I am cautious !

ctk
    Free Member

Best advice is Lego StarWars then, I can just imagine coming home to find every box has been opened by the kids…

Ooh theres an ad come up ShentonMiniBonds 10% gross p.a for four years! Sounds spot on.

ctk
    Free Member

I would step away from traditional investment instruments at the moment.

Yes fancy a bit of that…

surfer – Member
    I estimate 8% growth for my calcs although I have done significantly better over the last 3 yrs (20%+)

I am cautious !

I am curious ! What are you invested in?

surfer
    Free Member

That growth has been mainly Fundsmith and i am heavily invested in both my ISA and SIPP. I have been in Fundsmith since the launch so have benefited from a doubling of my initial investment during that period.
    I was more spread up until a year ago but it was difficult to find any funds that where providing anywhere near the (consistent) growth that Fundsmith has shown so that was a good decision.
    I need to diversify a bit but unless I want to take more of a risk then I cant see much that is reliably showing growth of 8%+ ???

DezB
    Free Member

Gawd, if ever a thread made me feel like a thick twonk! The only thing I’ve understood is “Star Wars Lego”… I’ve got a few £K left from my redundancy and I’ve just left it in my current account. Too scared to move it. (Got ISAs already.) 🙁

mrlebowski
    Free Member

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

They’re not great investments. Entry and exit costs are high if bought at auction (15% premium both ends?) and a dealers spread is vast.
    I suspect you have to get lucky with a buy.
    Talking of “luck”…

sneakyg4
    Free Member

They’re not great investments. Entry and exit costs are high if bought at auction (15% premium both ends?) and a dealers spread is vast.
    I suspect you have to get lucky with a buy.
    Talking of “luck”…

Granted some luck was involved with that example. but I have only once lost money, sometime you need to sit on the for some time though, so I only buy with ‘Spare’ money.

I have been wondering if putting down £1000 for a Tesla Model 3 might be worthwhile, bound to be people who will pay a premium to jump the queue when it finally arrives.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I have been wondering if putting down £1000 for a Tesla Model 3 might be worthwhile, bound to be people who will pay a premium to jump the queue when it finally arrives.

Or invest in Lithium mines. Tesla’s proposed production would gobble up the current world output and still be hungry for more…
    (Not advice, just floating the idea)

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘£1,000.00 to invest today – WWYD? (Hypothetical)’ is closed to new replies.