Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • £1000 cyclescheme voucher and a 45 mile round commute.
  • BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

What bike would you get?

The Trek Portland seems to tick all the boxes at moment but is a little over budget.

Panners.
    Mudguards or mounts.
    Good range of gears.
    Strong enough for towpaths/gentile bridleway if the mood takes in the summer.

Cheers

BigEars

druidh
    Free Member

Marin Toscana (£999) or Lombard (£750) if you want some change over to buy rack and panniers etc – even some faster tyres.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Boardman Hybrid Team, £799'ish leaves left overs for pannier – topeak sportdisc tourer, some panniers a good lock etc.

Cracking bike and very comfortable over distance,

I take it you mean 45mile total, if each way then a road bike is the only way

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Dibbs
    Free Member

I looked at the Toscana but those curvy bits at the head tube make it look so ugly. In the end I paid a bit more and went for an Orbea igorre, I'm glad I did. (No rack or mudguard mounts though).

njee20
    Free Member

Why all the panniers etc? I'd be buying a proper road bike and leaving clean kit at the office for that distance. I only do 34 miles return and wouldn't use anything but a road bike!

RichPenny
    Free Member

for 45 miles? Road bike. Or maybe Genesis Croix de Fer with slicks. Until you realise you enjoy road riding and a 25lb cross bike isn't the best choice 😉

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Cheers, the commute is 22ish miles each way, I have a very small locker so can leave shoes and perhaps a couple of carefully folded shirts but no more. I probably wouldn't use panniers all the time but nice to have the option.

If I forget about the panniers a CX bike like the Orbea is very tempting as I already have a proper road bike.

tootin

Boardman hybrid limied edition

Matt-P
    Free Member

I'm in a similar position with a 24 mile round commute on road all the way with just a couple of junctions, and no desire to take off road onto tracks. Same recomendations apply? Or would I be better with a pure road bike? Any suggestions?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘£1000 cyclescheme voucher and a 45 mile round commute.’ is closed to new replies.