• This topic has 25 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by LS.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • £1000 1st cross bike dilemas
  • mos

Looking at getting a cross bike for some racing this winter, probably in a month or two after i’ve done some races on my mtb & convinced the O/H it’s just not a flash in the pan (which it probably is but N+1 and all that).
    Its seems there are kind of 3 options in that price range, which probably all weigh the same but could perfom quite differently.
    1) Boardman CX team with Hydro discs & 1 x 11 (good tackle but maybe lower spec frame).
    2) Planet X XLS, cable discs & 2 x 10 (good frame but cheaper gears/brakes).
    3) Cannondale CaadX Tiagra or 105 again, good frame but cable discs & mid spec gears.

Not really sure which would be best one to go for TBH but would be glad to hear peoples opinions/experiences of each, especially if it involves racing.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Crocket 5 for £1250 over here. Cable discs but a great race proven frame.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

In usual STW fashion, not sure on the options you’ve listed – I chose a Giant TCX SLR 2 due to the massive mud room at the chainstays and seat stays – there are no bridges to even hint at fitting mudguards.

All those you’ve mentioned when I was looking didn’t seem to have overly generous mud room, depends where you’ll be racing as to whether that will be important to you.

1×11 might also count against the Boardman if you want to use it on the road as well?

Of the three though, I’d go with the CAADX because of the CAAD heritage and Cannondale’s knowledge of how to make some of the best alloy frames around.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cloudnine
    Free Member

Something second hand

ferrals
    Free Member

Fwiw, only started last season, but I’ve never had an issue with cable discs racing cross so wouldn’t worry about that.

That Crockett looks nice.

Edit. Also I have philosophical objections about 1 by systems for cross. When it’s muddy you can just shift at the front and avoid ripping your rear mech off trying to change if it gets clogged

DT78
    Free Member

Wait for boardman to have 20% off buy see if you like riding it, if not upgrade frame (is my plan)

Digger90
    Free Member

I’ve had many cross bikes, steel, alloy and carbon (I used to race on a team years ago) and have had a CAAD X and currently ride the Planet X XLS.

Of those 2, I think the Planet X has by far the better ride quality. It handles all types of terrain well (tight/twisty vs open/fast), accelerates well, etc. To me, the Cannondale wasn’t quite as capable everywhere that the XLS is and didn’t do it’s stuff quite as well.

Downsides?
    At this price range they’re all too heavy: you get a reasonable frame (not a great frame, but an ‘OK enough’ frame) that’s got fairly cr@ppy components on it, with really cheap/heavy wheels. My XLS with 105 weighs 23lbs.

These days I don’t race anymore, I just thrash around the woods, so it’s perfect for that – plus it makes an OK winter bike as it’s impervious to cr@p weather and has disc brakes. I even rode the full 254kms Tour of Flanders on my XLS this year – although there are better choices out there for that kind of thing, it’s definitely not a proper road bike.

I disagree with the comment about not enough mud clearance… there’s plenty. If you’re racing, you’re not gonna be running 40mm+ tyres anyway – it’s not Monstercross! Besides, you’d be too slow and you’re restricted to max width of 35mm in any case. Plenty of mud clearance with 35’s on my XLS.

parkesie
    Free Member

Boardman at 1k is a good bike at 800 its a stonking bike. I got one back in april and its easily my most used bike. Relegating the road bike to 20km since april.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Not sure about current model, but the 2014 boardman is great.
    As @Digger90 pointed out, at that price point wheels are heavy. Don’t think i’d even consider racing my boardman without a wheel upgrade.

edhornby

The xls ; if you do enjoy racing then you could save up for a set of race wheels next season.

Cable discs are fine

mikekay
    Free Member

I’d beg borrow or steal (well maybe not steal)to get the extra £200 for one of the XLS with the better spec, hydro discs etc.

ferrals
    Free Member

I knocked 2kg off my bottom of the range Ridley by buying a second hand set of stans iron cross wheels and running them tubeless!

swanny853

Pretty sure there was a vitus with sram hydros for under a grand on crc, i found it pretty tempting! Save up for some swanky wheels after that- i think the stock ones were wtb freq, so good but not light

eddie11
    Free Member

crocket is a very very sorted cross frame. very good clearance. its got bridge less chain stays, hallelujah! Raced and won at world level too.

XLS has a lot less clearance and a stupid big shelf to collect crud.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

In my experience its not rear shifting that wrecks rear mechs, it’s the jockey wheels/cage getting clogged and seizing, and the chain pulling the mech with it around the cassette. Lost 3 last season, none involved me shifting. Big fan of 1x in CX, less to clog up (Munqechick runs 2x and it clogged solid at the front-took me as pit crew a full lap to clear it).

Having built a light CX bike I’m not convinced weight is that big a factor (no huge climbs, then add 2kg of mud…), but yes budget OE wheels tend to be around the 2kg mark compared to say 1600g for decent aftermarket jobs.

From your list; CaadX.

fifeandy
    Free Member

@crashtestmonkey, actually closer to 3kg for the wheels crazy as that may seem. I’d probably opt for a set of the cosines from wiggle for a cheap but significant saving.

TiRed

I bought a used Boardman frame and built it up. It turned into a very nice fast winter road bike. Boardman never did know anything about cross geometry! So then i bought a titanium Charge Freezer frame. That will be my 1×11 race bike once I find enough parts.

dai21t
    Free Member

I bought a 2014 model boardman cx team last Christmas. Think I paid just under £600 new for it. Only thing that lets it down are the wheels, they are strong enough but the hubs are poor. Mine were rough after only a month or 2. Just waiting for them to fail so I can justify a nice set of wheels for it.

ferrals
    Free Member

Deleted posr

rOcKeTdOg

The new caadx sora (new sora is excellent) is great for the £

mos

Cheers all for the replies. Boardman is £900 at the mo plus 10% extra for BC members i think which leaves me £200 to put towards some lighter wheels.

ferrals
    Free Member

Having built a light CX bike I’m not convinced weight is that big a factor

Having shouldered a 13kg cx bike for a significant amount of time I’m convinced that weight is a big factor 😆

Garry_Lager

I have the CAADX and it’s a great frame to start racing on (I’m into my second season on one) – also rides v well on the trails.
    The wheels are absolute boat anchors (durable hubs though). This is actually OK for taking it out on MTB stuff (IMO) as you want something tank-like for CX over the rocks, but poor for the races. Brakes are average – not a real problem for racing, you use the mud to slow you down, but noticeable on the trails.

LS
    Free Member

Personally I’d have the Boardman on spec but you need whichever one fits. Position is critical on a CX bike and adjusting reach by altering saddle setback like a lot of people do is just daft.
    At that price none of the bikes will be thoroughbreds but 1×11 and hydros is a very good starting point.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘£1000 1st cross bike dilemas’ is closed to new replies.