• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Del.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 100 years ago today my Grandad was killed…
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

At the battle of Ypres & is buried at Hooge Crater Cemetery in Belgium. We met up with our family members at Durham cathedral & paid our respects to someone none if us ever met. The book of remembrance was open, none of us will see the next 100th anniversary.

Both my lads agreed it was a very humbling day.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/BMqXVP]image7[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CdDHqx]image6[/url] by jimmyg352, on Flickr

RIP Grandad.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Raises glass*

Thanks, Sgt Grainger.

ourmaninthenorth

Extraordinary the effect lost lives like that of Sgt. Grainger continue to have on all of us.

daftvader
    Free Member

Clink’s glass with CFH, to Sgt Grainger, and adds… To all those lost in every year, and all the services

SaxonRider

As we say in Ukrainian: Glory to heroes!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

As we say in Ukrainian: Glory to heroes!

Thanks everyone. @SaxonRider, are you ‘CanuKrainian?’

JulianA
    Free Member

A very moving day, I’m sure.

A distant relative of mine was killed on 11/05/1915 somewhere near Ypres and is now buried in Sanctuary Wood Cemetery in Canadalaan – just down the road from Hooge Crater Cemetery.

We were at his grave on 11/05/2015. Very moving.

Treasure your picture of your granddad – we have no idea what my relative looked like. Tantalisingly, there is a picture in the Hampshire Regiment museum in which he probably is, but that’s as close as it gets for us.

*raises a glass*

Thanks soldier!

SaxonRider

Thanks everyone. @SaxonRider, are you ‘CanuKrainian?’

Sort of. Mrs SR definitely is, and while my grandparents also fled to Canada from Ukraine, they are actually ethnic Germans. Known in literature as ????????? ???? or Deutschen Russischen.

We are quite active in the Ukrainian community here in the UK though.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

A very moving day, I’m sure.

It was. Even the great great grandkids seemed to be moved & theyr’e only 6 & 8!

JulianA
    Free Member

I can recommend a couple of hotels and restaurants in Ypres and several other places to visit if anyone wants to go and stay over there. Ypres is fantastic – the Last Post at the Menin Gate is very emotional.

jamj1974

Rest in peace.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Respect to your grandfather.I can remember my gran telling me about her father fighting in WWI & stuff about the gas warfare,then her brothers going through WWII. I feel so grateful that conscription ended with National service,long may it remain that way.

enfht
    Free Member

100 years ago my Grandad had somehow survived four months since the disastrous landings at Suvla Bay. I’ve had what I’d call a difficult few months but HTF could it compare in any sense to what these men endured.

Russell96

My grandfather was the youngest out of 13 siblings so he missed it, but I will always remember going to meet my great uncle Wydd in a nursing home with him wheezing away in an oxygen mask, his lungs wrecked due to being gassed in the trenches,lovely fella wish I had chance to see more than a glimpse of him, I didn’t understand why at the time, took me quite a while to learn and understand why.

Del

that ^. we live in privileged times.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘100 years ago today my Grandad was killed…’ is closed to new replies.