Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • £100 to rebuild a wheel at LBS. Reasonable price?
  • jekkyl

Hello. I’ve taken my rear wheel into my lbs for a rebuild, to swap the rim which I’ve supplied. They will supply all new spokes and nipples. The owner estimated the price at £100. I was hoping for something more along the lines of £50. Wheel is a 26″ arch ex with hope pro 2 hub replacing with a flow.
    I think this is great incentive to buy a jig and learn the skill myself. Anyway, thoughts, does £100 sound too high?

scotroutes

Sounds a bit high to me. Can’t you at least dismantle the existing wheel yourself – might cut some of the labour cost.

creamegg
    Free Member

I’d say that was on high side. I’d expect to pay around £60 to £65 for decent spokes and brass nipples.

Edit, miss calculated. About £75 sounds about right

scaled
    Free Member

£100 sounds well steep!

NWMTB built me up a wheel from scratch, while i waited with a pro2 evo and mavic rim for £240!

Took them about 20 mins and it’s been sturdy so far (lasted longer than Crossmax Enduros or LB carbons)

jekkyl

I took the cassette and the rotor off but couldn’t find my spoke key yesterday, plus I was a bit short of time.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Sounds right to me – a build alone without spokes etc is 50 in london

Stevelol
    Free Member

Shop around!! In W Yorks I’ve paid £1 per spoke and £30 labour.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

Between £1 and £1.60 for each nipple and spoke (quality dependant) then £25 to £35 for lacing and tensioning. Might be an extra £10 on top to strip out the old rim.

If you’re getting new hub bearings in the £100, then it’s about right, but if not it’s very steep.

scotroutes

If folk are willing to pay that, how much less do you think the shop should charge? 😉

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Depends, if they used cheap, heavy spokes at a pound a pop, that would leave them £18 to strip an existing, and build a new wheel.

My mate builds wheels for me now & I’d be embarrassed to only give him £18 quid to do that, and that doesn’t include any shop overheads.

You’ve removed a revenue stream from them by supplying the rim as well, so not exactly a great money spinner of a job for them. I think £100 is a touch high, assuming a middle of the road spoke being used, but not surpising, given a lack of opportunity to supply a rim, etc.

You could always teach yourself the first step by lacing it up youself & then getting them to tension it…

scotroutes

Only if it was a 72 spoke wheel 😉

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Ha, read it as a pair of wheels. I blame the cheese & red wine overload of Christmas.

Ignore me!

mucker

I’ve just had a set of wheels built up with me supplying just the rims and hubs, spokes and build, £25 per end, by big Al at Wheelcraft in Clachan of Campsite.

tomd
    Free Member

It depends on the spokes and number. If it’s 36h and he’s using flashy spokes and nipples it’s not bad.

They also might be putting the price up because you’re supplying the hub and rim to account for ball ache factor when the rims a bit bent or whatever.

Gotama
    Free Member

Local shop charged me £40 plus spokes and nipples when I did the same re hub and rim. So assuming £40 for spokes and nipples (based on 1.08 for dt swiss spokes and 30p per nipple for brass prolock) then yes it does seem expensive, albeit I do know of another local shop that charges £60 to build a wheel which would be more in line with your price.

nosedive
    Free Member

I think i paid 65 for this last time i paid someone to do it.

benw
    Free Member

You don’t need a spoke key to dismantle it just a pair of pliers/snips.

plecostomus
    Free Member

Sounds high to me, I’d do it for £35 labour plus spokes or Sapim from about £1.35 x 32 = 43.2 so £78.2

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Thank the lord for being able to build my own wheels, if £100 is the going rate. Bought 72 DT Revolutions for a pair of wheels last month for under £40, so £20 per wheel, from a shop , so they want £80 to swap ? Takes 5 mins with wire cutters to take the old hub out and 20 mins to lace up, that’s a lot of cost then to true and tension…..I have another pair of wheels to build soon, so if I had to pay that kind of money, I wouldn’t be able to spend money on bikes for bits alone, let alone labour.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Labour £25 a wheel plus spokes

DT Swiss db black spokes 95p each

DT Swiss revs black £1.10

both supplied with nipples brass or Alu in silver at my shop probably why I’m always busy lol.

£100 is expensive for my neck of the country but can see places in London or places with huge over heads charging more.

jakd95
    Free Member

It’s easy enough to use a calcultor and then buy your own spokes and nipples from somewhere like Spa Cycles. Lacing is straightforward even if you haven’t done it before. Then just get the shop to true them.

kimbers

Yuo 60 quid at 2 lbs I’ve used including dB spokes so I’d shop around

If you dismantle the old wheel, remove discs, might be more favourble

amedias
    Free Member

I was hoping for something more along the lines of £50

Did you say this to them? or ask them to break down the cost so you could see what the parts/labour charge was?

On the face of it it seems a little steep, but without info on the spokes/nipples they plan to use (or that you requested?) and if there are any other particulars like currently seized alloy nipples to remove or hub service etc. it’s hard to judge.

As a ballpark I’d expect most shops to charge £25-£40 per wheel labour for a build, so add spokes + nipples to that as a starting point.

with spokes @ £30 + nipples your £50 expectation leaves very little for their labour time, and factoring in the need to dismantle your wheel first then I think you might need to adjust your expectation.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Sounds reasonably cheap for a pair.

Where are you based and is the rim new?

jekkyl

It’s for one wheel, I’m in Stoke, Staffordshire and the rim is new yes.

We didn’t discuss specifics of brand of spokes and nipples. They’ve always served me well in the past so I trust their judgement. I did say that I thought £100 did seem a little high so hopefully when I pick it up tomorrow the price will be under that. They are a great shop with a great attitude to customer service however so if I do get charged £100 I’m sure future bills for other services might take that into consideration. We shall see!

poah
    Free Member

paid £25 per wheel build using DT or sapim spokes at wheelcraft. you do have to put up with big Al’s chat though lol

I would remove the spokes yourself and take the rim and hub to get built up at a different store. Thats a pretty high price TBH. You could send your wheel to wheelcraft, get it built and posted back to you for less.

superfli
    Free Member

Do you need to replace the spokes and nipples? Personally I would try lacing it up with the existing spokes+nipples if not too old. I’ve done this before on my own builds and its been fine.
    Difference is 2mm shorter for Flow rims, not perfect, but I doubt the extra spoke length will poke through and you’ll find out if there is enough thread.

Swapping rims is the easiest way to learn as you just need to tape the new rim to old and swap spokes one side at a time (left/right), do the side nearest new rim first. Tension them evenly, counting number of turns. Can always take your finished wheel to a shop to true up completely.

mboy
    Free Member

I charge £30 labour for a wheel build on a normal rim (UST rims take longer so charge more for those), and £1 to £1.20 per spoke (inc nipple) assuming ACI or DT Swiss double butted respectively. Means it would be circa £65 for a rebuild onto a new rim supplied by yourself.

If you buy the rim and/or hub from us I do the labour at half price too…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Revolution spokes 56p each?

In what decade? Not this one.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Revolution spokes 56p each?

In what decade? Not this one.

Try Bike-discount 😉

£34.93 for 72 in silver plus a few quid carriage. No brainer…….

prawny

Mammoth by me charge £25 for a wheelbuild and a quid a spoke. I can’t vouch for their build skills personally but they’ve repaired a couple of wheels for me and they’ve been ok.

superfli
    Free Member

I just paid £25 for 70 dt Swiss comp spokes and brass nipples Inc del from rose

eshershore
    Free Member

we’d charge 1 hour labour (about £40) and then the cost of spokes/nipples

most shops in London charge £40-50 for labour on wheel builds

cycleofaddiction
    Free Member

Out of interest which shop is it ?

crashrash

initially the estimate seems steep but my local chap in Plymouth is about the same – but what he does offer is lifetime truing and great back up. IMHO worth the extra for the service and guarantee.

Northwind

IIRC I paid £120 for 2 wheels with DT Comp Races at Icycles, first class build.

Is it possible there’s a bit of “own parts tax” here? When a shop loses the markup they’d have made on parts, sometimes they’ll quietly add it back on somewhere else.

jekkyl

So, the price was £99 even after I flashed my stw premier card (worth a try) the wheel had all new DT spokes and nipples, they replaced 2 bearings, which they said were a bit grumbly and fitted correct sized stans tape. So generously allowing £40 for 32 spokes and nips, a tenner for 2 bearings and a tenner for tape leaves £40 for the build, saving me the trouble of building it and applying the tape. I’m better with that than I was.

amedias
    Free Member

or £20 for the bearings (assuming the hope kit) eg: as per here on CRC

so even saying £30 for spokes and nips + £10 for tape + above = £60, which leaves £39 labour to dismantle old wheel, build new and fit bearings.

Seems bang on to me.

mattyfez

Yeh I’d figure 30-40 labour per wheel and then plus whatever parts cost is reasonable.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘£100 to rebuild a wheel at LBS. Reasonable price?’ is closed to new replies.