Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • only 100 ml of fluids allowed if visiting the olympics
  • project
    Free Member

Seems as if youre not allowed to take any fluid into the olympics greater than 100ml, even drinking water, so coca cola are going to make a lot of cash selling fizzy drinks then.

http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/Documents/General/01/25/44/10/Restrictionsonliquidsaerosolsandgels_Neutral.pdf

Rickos
    Free Member

There are water fountains available inside the venues, so take an empty bottle and fill it up once you’re in.

project
    Free Member

some of us dont want to drink water from a fountrain used by others and some like to drink tea, and coffee along with soft drinks.

over the top profiteering by the vendors of drinks.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jambalaya
    Free Member

Would you rather someone sumggled in a liquid bomb ?

Rickos
    Free Member

If you have a water bottle with you,
    please ensure it is empty before
    you reach security as there are
    no facilities to empty bottles at the
    search tents. Free drinking water
    is available inside the venue.

What’s wrong with getting water from a tap that others have used?

project
    Free Member

or just fund a multinatioanl drinks comapny.

mcboo
    Free Member

trolltastic……I cant wait to go to the Olympics, havent given a moments thought to what I’m going to drink.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Free drinking water is available inside the venue.

Ah, right, so no point in getting out my angry Anti-Olympic words for this thread then?

😉

over the top profiteering by the vendors of drinks

It’d be massively naive to expect anything different.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Just another reason to stay well away from the whole mad parade…

D0NK

surely as coke are sponsoring it there’ll be free coke products on tap too?

bit of a ballache about the tea/coffee but guess it’s on par with airport security so fair enough.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

What’s so fair about aiport ‘security’?

chiefgrooveguru

some of us dont want to drink water from a fountrain used by others

And some people have weird psychological issues which do a fine job of helping the proliferation of the utterly wasteful stupidity that is bottled water…

theotherjonv

what’s the tea/coffee ballache?

D0NK

What’s so fair about aiport ‘security’?

weeeeeell airports are apparently a notorious terrorist attack target so they tend to have beefed up security. And apparently* the olympics have a big terrorist bullseye painted on it too so by that reasoning I’d expect similar security.

As with airports you are choosing to go there so you have to abide by the security policy (as was not the case with the tower block SAMs)

*how true this is I don’t know

EDIT BTW if everyone is refused bringing drinks in but someone still manages to sneak a liquid bomb in by some ingenious “look at that over there” distraction I’d be pretty peeved, the “illusion of security” just impeding normal lives but not actually stopping those pesky terrorists is bit of a downer.

D0NK

erm you can’t take any

StirlingCrispin

As you’re not allowed to bring in bottles,

But you’re not allowed to take in empty bottles either. 🙄

And also excluded:
    ? Flags of countries not participating in the games (this excludes the flags of nations under the umbrella of a participating country such as England, Scotland and Wales).
    Does this badly written piece of text mean the Saltire is banned from football matches at Hampden?

chiefgrooveguru

Official info:

“Bring as little as possible with you: one medium-sized handbag or small backpack is allowed per person. There are no storage facilities available. You can bring food, provided it fits in your bag, and an empty plastic water bottle to fill up inside the venue. You cannot bring in liquids over 100ml.”

joao3v16
    Free Member

I use bottled water sales to identify idiots 😉

Although, weirdly, my wife won’t drink water from our bathroom tap even though she knows it’s the same as from the kitchen 😕

Although she is from Brazil.

maccruiskeen

So how many olympic events do you have tickets for project? Let us know which ones and with the massed might of the stw combine we’ll smuggle the component parts of a kettle and a tea bag into each event for you, along with a filter system to purify our own collected tears

I’ve seen homebrew liquid explosive go off. Jesus titty fricking Christ.

martinhutch

You can also bring in ten containers of 100ml to make up a total of a litre. Time to get your tupperware out!

D0NK

But you’re not allowed to take in empty bottles either

The Locog spokesman said… If you’ve got a bottle of water you might be asked to empty it but you’ll be able to take that bottle in and fill it up when you get to the other side from BBC article

just aslong as it’s not glass

rkk01
    Free Member

Tempting to regard this as revenue protection rather than security protection, isn’t it….

Regarding the comparison with airport security – it seems rather fallacious to me. Someone taking a liquid explosive on an aircraft has a good chance of taking down the plane.

theotherjonv

erm you can’t take any

Yes you can, if you desperately want to. In 100ml bottles, up to ten of them. Or i suspect you’ll be able to buy it in the venue, even though CocaCola don’t make it.

Shit’s sake people, have we nothing better to do that argue about what to drink at the world’s greatest sporting event happening right here, in two weeks time!

Joao – your wife’s right – almost certainly your bathroom tap will come from a tank in the roof, which will have a dead pigeon and some rat shit in it.

D0NK

Tempting to regard this as revenue protection rather than security protection, isn’t it….

yes but in light of all the other security measures being taken it’s either all a very big ploy or they’re pretty confident the event is going to be targeted

theotherjonv

Someone taking a liquid explosive on an aircraft has a good chance of taking down the plane.

Whereas a bottle of liquid explosive in say a stadium with 80,000 close packed people will be a minor annoyance?

maccruiskeen

Regarding the comparison with airport security – it seems rather fallacious to me. Someone taking a liquid explosive on an aircraft has a good chance of taking down the plane.

With bottled water in most shops costing more per litre than diesel I suspect free drinking water will be more widely inside the Olympic venues than any other public venue in the country. How many public drinking fountains do you pass each day?

Actually, liquid explosive is cheaper than bottled water

D0NK

ten 100ml bottles of tea doesn’t = one thermos of the stuff does it? I was just saying it might be a pain for the tea drinking hardcore, I was actually agreeing with the measures – kindof

theotherjonv

Agreed, but at least you can get it in. Now you need a heating device. Something solar clearly being out of the question, I shall attempt to rewarm mine to drinking temperature using the heat from the collective rage of the tea drinking, thermos wielding hardcore.

Just stoking what is turning out to be a good argument. it’s not trolling if I admit it upfront, is it?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Why does anyone with any self-esteem actually pay money to be treated as a suspect rather then staying away and telling the organisation to do one?

theotherjonv

pay money to be treated as a suspect

I’m paying money to see the greatest sporting event on earth.

I’m prepared to udertake some basic security checks / accomodate some security restrictions so that my fellow spectators and i can enjoy the event safely.

If I was going to pay someone to wear a uniform and frisk me, it would be far cheaper than i’ve paid for these tickets, wouldn’t be a member of the same sex, and would last longer than the 15 seconds or so i reckon this will last.

rkk01
    Free Member

Whereas a bottle of liquid explosive in say a stadium with 80,000 close packed people will be a minor annoyance?

Indeed.

Explosives need confinement to be effective (speaking as someone who studied explosives in mining…)
    So a packed aluminium tube – be it bus or underground train, and the effects are likely to be devastating.

In an open arena – has to be very different.
    Not saying that is good – just potentially a different scale of likelihood and effect

CaptJon
    Free Member

Security at sporting events is usually pretty lax, and the Olympics won’t be any different. I was told i couldn’t take a laptop into Wembley for a game a while back. I queried it, the security guy went to find his manager so i just walked off.

kimbers

mleh whats your problem

just pick up a sporty supersized coke at MaccyD’s!!

D0NK

I queried it, the security guy went to find his manager so i just walked off.

illusion I was referring to, eg ticket checkers in train stations, I’ve seen people take ages rooting through their bags to find their ticket, eventually found it but in the meantime some scrote has just walked passed when challenged and none of the checkers made a move. SO you only stop the polite people then?

I’ve accidentally gone through airport security (greece iirc) with a 2l bottle of water and wasn’t challenged.

StirlingCrispin

you’ll be able to take that bottle in and fill it up when you get to the other side from BBC article

That’s an old article and differs from current information:
    http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/Documents/General/01/25/83/88/HampdenParkprohibitedandrestricteditems_Neutral.pdf

maccruiskeen

Explosives need confinement to be effective (speaking as someone who studied explosives in mining…)
    So a packed aluminium tube – be it bus or underground train, and the effects are likely to be devastating.

Or in Warrington : a bin.

ocrider

Hampden Park, StirlingCrispin? 🙄

It couldn’t possibly be the case that there would be different rules for different venues?

You cannot bring in liquids over 100ml*, including water –but at most venues you can bring an empty plastic water bottle and fill it up at water points inside venues.

That was copied and pasted from the Olympic website, FYI.

andyl
    Free Member

I’ll probably just take my camelbak mule with me and fill it when I get in there.

But what if someone is taking a baby and needs bottles of milk? Same applies to a plane. Is there an exception and you have to test it to prove it’s okay?

andyl
    Free Member

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘only 100 ml of fluids allowed if visiting the olympics’ is closed to new replies.